Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2001, 11:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Princess Cays

I would like to hear about Princess Cays from anyone who has been there recently.
How is the water for snorkeling?
Are there SCUBA diving opportunities there?
Is it crowded?
What does it cost to rent wave runners?
Whatever you can tell me will help.

Thanks
JollyMon
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2001, 03:55 PM
SF

Default Re: Princess Cays

Just got our excursion booklet and it says the cost is $45.00 per 25 mins. per boat per person minimum age of 16. A waverunner for two people costs $60.00 per 25 mins. per boat. As for the snorkeling, last time we were there it was just ok, nothing great, no where near like Grand Cayman or St. Thomas. It is a lovely beach and the BBQ they offer is enjoyable. You will have a nice day there providing the weather is good.
Old February 3rd, 2001, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Yes,
but you certainly feel like you own the place more if the weather isn't great. Not as many people get off the ship and you have your choice of seating. Nice that the sand holds the warmth even on the cloudier days My son remembers it as a sunny day and how much fun he had just building sandcastles.

The snorkelling is easy and a great place to practise up for the rest of the trip for beginners. The landscape may not be terrific but the fish are just as colourful as anywhere else and thrills newcomers to the snorkelling experience.

Don't miss it to "speed up" the unwinding process which a holiday requires.
Old February 10th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Beckie

Hubby went snorkeling and had a wave runner at Princess Cays in Nov. He loved the wave runner and felt it was very worth the $45. We were on the second tender over and had our pick of seats. It also got him in snorkeling very early. Others who got over to the island later said they had a hard time finding seating. They also said they didn't see any fish. He went in snorkeling after lunch and saw no fish, but did see them in the a.m., so I'm guessing with all the people around, it scared the fish away.
I, on the other hand, chose to sit in a shady lounge chair, near the snorkel shack and the bbq and the band, and suck down melon coladas all day while reading. Princess Cays was one of our favorite parts of the cruise.
We should mention that we both have very high-stress jobs and generally, a fairly stressful life (then again, who doesn't have a stressful life). The utter relaxation allowed on Princess Cays was truly what we needed.
Old February 13th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Passenger

We were at Princess Cays on 2/10. The weather was very nice. I agree with the earlier comment about the fish getting scared away, in the afternoon they were all gone, lots in the morning. As previous posters have mentioned if you turn right off the dock you will find it less crowded. There is a bar and a buffet on the right also. Even on the left more crowded side there were often two open chiars even at the busiest time. Nice relaxing stop.
Old February 14th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Sherri, if you turn right once on shore and facing inland, will we find any shade and hammocks? Aren't the jet-ski's parked in that area causing a lot of noise? Last time on Princess Cay we went to the very far left facing inland and had a lovely lagoon for snorkeling and swimming including hammocks and chaise lounges, etc. But, it was quite a walk once on land. Please e-mail me as we leave soon.
Thank you