Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2001, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Default Celebrity Vs Princess

Trying to decide between Celebrity on the Summit or the Dawn Princess any help would be great thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2001, 04:44 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Celebrity Vs Princess

Have not done the Dawn Princess, but have done 6 previous Celebrity cruises and currently booked on the Infinity for June.(our 26th cruise) We have done 3 Princess cruises and prefer Celebrity.
I don't think you can beat the food and service of Celebrity unless you go to a Seaborne or Silversea(at three or four times the price)
Our experience has been the passengers on Princess tend to be a little older than Celebrity.
We are mid-fourties and have been cruising for over 20 years.
Princess is a good cruise line,but our family has enjoyed our Celebrity sailings even more. I urge you to try both cruise lines. See which line you perfer.
Old February 14th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Try to compare apples to apples: The Summit will be brand new hopefully setting sail next Fall. The Dawn although relatively new will be almost 4 years old. The Summit will have an enclosed aqua spa pool. I just received Celebrity new ship brochure last night. It seams to mirror the Millennium, too. The Dawn's pools are all outdoors. The spa/Gym is huge and beautiful on the Millennium series where as Princess just did not allow as much space for these facilities as you would think on a new ship with people being so exercise conscience these days. Celebrity has an excellent food, service, and value reputation. Princess has great entertainment and will be offering the new "Personal Choice" dining options as time goes on for all of their ships. At this time, there is no mention of a "service fee" on the Dawn for their Pizza restaurant and there is no other alternative restaurant other than the Buffet. On the Summit there will be a "specialty" restaurant and on the Millie they presently are charging $25 pp and it is jacket & tie required for the men, and appropriate dress for the ladies. The Olympic was lovely on Millie, but at $12pp it was worth it. I would have to think twice about $25pp. On Princess I find the regular and balcony cabins to be smaller than Celebrity but they are adequate for 2 in a room. Our balcony cabin 2c even had a pull out mini-sofa, whereas on Princess you could only watch TV from the bed. Look at your itineraries, and the costs for the same dates and like category of cabin befoe you decide. If you have any questions on the Summit that I can research in this new brochure, please e-mail me.

Bon Voyage
Old February 16th, 2001, 01:16 AM
Shari

Since the other posters knowledge was all Celebrity...I will fill you in on Princess since it is all I know. I offer no comparisons, only opinions of Princess.
I have been on the Dawn twice and the Sun once, in fact, I just got off the Sun only two weeks ago.
Both ships are in remarkable shape...they really aren't that old. Princess is constantly taking time in every port to make sure that the outside and inside of her ships are in the very best condition, so age doesn't have anything to do with the ship as a whole.
The staff is so wonderful, from the captain to the stewards, everyone is so friendly. By the end of the first day, our cabin stewardess new our names and by the end of the second day, our waiter and his assistant knew everyone names at our table!! All of the staff would acknowledge us with at least a smile but more often than not they would ask how we were. We got to know a couple of people on staff and I am in correspondence with them now.
The food is great! If anyone compares food from one ship to the other, I suppose they will always find something good or bad about each. However, stop to think how ships that have to pump out about 6000 meals a day actually do it. There really is no gourmet involved. It is all massed produced, rather like huge hotels and for mass producing their meals (just as all the other huge ships) Princess has wonderful food!
The entertainment is a combination between Las Vegas and Broadway. The only thing we have ever had to complain about is the fact that the dancers lip sync. The lead singers are the real thing though and usually they are very good.
The shore excursions are wonderful and usually worth their money.
The pools are great. Although they don't have any pools that are fully enclosed, they have one pool that is rather small but underneath a cover. Beside this pool are two hot tubs and there is also one hot tub up some steps beside the pool. The fitness room is just beside those hot tubs and pool.
Even though the ship is large and there are approximately 1800 passengers at any given time, it never, ever seemed crowded.
We LOVE Princess and only days after our return we booked our fourth cruise for this coming New Year's on the Golden Princess!!! We are taking our girls this time (ages 10 and 7) and they can't wait! Princess is the only way to go for us and unless someone comes along to change our mind, we are Princess junkies forever!!!!
Hope this helped a little bit. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.
Old February 16th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got off a Princess cruise, Celebrity is by far the best.
Old February 16th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got off the Dawn one week ago - had a wonderful time. Shows and service were excellent. I can't imagine you going wrong on the Summit, being new and all, but some of those "add-on" fees could be a surprise I would think. Nanatravel is correct that there is no charge at the Pizzeria on the Dawn. I think one large reason why the Dawn and other Princess ships stay so well accepted is because of the constant updating and repairs that are done. During one port stop on our cruise I found people ripping out the carpet in our hallway and putting down new. I don't have a clue why, as the pattern was the same and the "old" carpet wasn't really showing any signs of wear. Anyone who didn't see the carpet being torn out wouldn't have even noticed the change. I think this speaks well to the commitment to keep this ship in tiptop shape. Sounds like a win-win situation to me, whichever cruise you pick!
Old February 17th, 2001, 08:21 PM
Aaron

For my money, I'll choose Princess every time. We just returned from Millennium, our 2nd Celebrity cruise and next year I'll return to Princess again for the 3rd time. Food quality and service I feel are equal. Entertainment was super on Millennium, but Princess gives me more choices. I could choose which show to go to in the evening. The most important deciding factor is Princess's policy of the lido deck restaurant, what you want when you want it. I didn't like the abbreviated hours of the buffet service for breakfast and lunch on the Millennium, and the lack of an open grill throughout the afternoon.
Old February 18th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Babette

A better comparison between the ships of these two lines would be Summit vs the Golden Princess. But, I see you ae interested in the longer itinerary... and I'm not surprised.. seeing as you will be flying over the "Great Pond".

I would choose Princess. I've sailed all her fleet.. which is varies quite alot. The line delivers a more consistent product... from the Pacific Princess up to the Grand. I have sailed all of Celebrity's fleet as well with the exception of the new Millennium. I have tried... but we've been bounced 3 times.

When I cruise, I look for service first... and friendly service at that. I have always received friendly service with Princess... from the Captain on down. Celebrity's staff and crew are more aloof....cool towards passengers. This is not their fault... but they are instructed to keep an arm's distance from passengers.

Food is one area where nobody will agree. But, again, I've had better food overall on Princess. I've never had to return any entree on Princess.. but I have had to many times on Celebrity. I prefer the more flexible dining options with Princess

Pools and hot tubs are open longer on Princess. Come 6 o'clock or thereabouts, Celebrity closes them up. Times often vary.

If you decide to do the Summit, do yourself a favor. Don't book one of the first couple of cruises. Let the ship get her kinks worked out... and let the new crew members get their acts together. You'll be saving yourself from a lot of grief.
Old February 18th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Hi Debbie,

I'm just back from a cruise on the Grand Princess. Have also sailed once with Celebrity (on the Century 2 years ago with friends who have also sailed with Celebrity on the Galaxy).

We enjoyed the Grand, but the consensus among us is that Celebrity is definitely a notch above Princess. Why? See below.

1) Staff -- opposed to other responses here, we found the staff on the Grand to be "indifferent" and at times even rude. Our waiters and steward aboard the Grand were fine, and even though Princess chooses to charge $6.95 pp/per day for tips for the wait staff, we tipped extra to our waiters. (You can elect not to abide by the $6.95/day if you so choose). We were always first to initiate a "hello" on the Grand. Not so on Celebrity - staff on the Century always said hello, have a nice day, how are you enjoying your cruise? On the Grand, many on the staff seemed as though they were having a bad day! They actually looked grouchy and we saw few smiles. In the shops on board, some acted as if we were intruding. On Celebrity, we actually got to know some of the staff in the shops!

Comparing the buffet restaurants -- on the Century, we were greeted every time by a waitstaff person who handed us a tray with a linen placemat. After we selected our food, another waitstaff person immediately appeared to take the tray and find us a table. They were not talkative, but that extra measure of service was a real treat. An interesting note on the Princess buffet line -- we observed a staffer spraying and cleaning the area above the buffet one day ... right over the food!!!

One experience on the Grand really soured the start of our trip (but we did get over it!). Four of us traveled together. Three of us ordered champagne for the person who made all the plans. The champagne didn't appear, so we called to inquire. Nothing happened. We phoned the purser, and someone in room service finally called the "champagne recipient" and scolded her - told her that the champagne was in the fridge. It was. However, we were expecting a formal "delivery" with our special note of gratitude to our friend. Apparently, someone asked the steward to rush it up to the fridge when we were not in our rooms. They told us it had been there since the night before, which was not true. Ugh - not a good way to start the cruise!

Our maitre 'D came by to flirt every now and again and told what we felt was a rather tasteless joke one evening. The Maitre 'D on Celebrity was a classier guy and stopped by every single evening to see how everything was and to ask about our day. The guy on the Grand was very obviously just looking for a good tip.

2) Food -- the food was very nice. On a scale of 1 to 10, we rated it a 7. The presentation was always very good, but the food just did not measure up to the fine quality and gourmet of Celebrity.

We elected one evening to try the alternative dining choice on the Grand, the Painted Desert. First of all, it was difficult making the reservation. The Maitre 'D was "very very concerned" since he had a party of 60 the following night. Huh--the following night? The food was excellent - the service was the worst we had ever experienced on land or at sea. It was hardly busy, but the waiter was a whirling dervish! He was totally unsociable, could barely understand English, brought cocktails after the salad, etc. etc. Diners all around us had the same experience.

3) The ship -- the Grand Princess was lovely - a behemoth of a ship, but you did not feel the largeness with the 2,600 passengers. The only problem was that people constantly disobeyed the "rules" and reserved lounge chairs at all the pools while they ate a leisurely breakfast. The staff did not enforce that rule at all. However, this seems to be a bit of a problem on many ships.

One might ask why we didn't just take another Celebrity cruise. We were booked on the Celebrity Millennium but learned about the November drydocking, so we got a little nervous and backed out and booked on the Grand. Besides, we thought it would be fun to try another cruise line. We have sailed with Carnival, NCL and Celebrity. Celebrity still ranks tops with us!

Good luck with your cruise plans. This is a great site and has provided us with lots of excellent feedback and assistance. Bon Voyage !
Old February 18th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Shari

Debbie,
I really think that you should try to weed out and take opinions just from people who have used Princess and Celebrity regularly. Obviously my experience on Princess (albeit, 3 times) doesn't do a whole lot for comparisons since I haven't sailed Celebrity and really have no desire to do so. It has always seemed a bit to "upity" for myself and my family and friends, as we are more laid back. The pool times (lack thereof) and the activities offered (not offered) have also aided in our decisions.
I would see if you can find some people who have sailed at least two times each on both lines. That way, they have a fair assessment of each line. One time on a cruise line doesn't make you knowledgable regarding that line.
Regarding the "gourmet" food of either ship. It is an impossibility with so many mouths to feed so many times a day. Don't get me wrong, the food tastes wonderful but it is packaged to be fast. Gourmet doesn't exist on the large cruise ships, only on those highly unaffordable yachts.
Now, anyone out there sailed more than twice on each line? Debbie needs some help!
Old February 18th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Nanatravel,

Your statement that the only alternative restaurant other than the pizzeria (which, BTW, is outstanding!) aboard MV Dawn Princess is the buffet is not really accurate. In the evening, a portion of the Horizon Court becomes a bistro with full table service and operates as such until 4:00 AM. There's a sample of the bistro menu -- which includes several entrees -- at http://www.princess.com/onboard/menu4.html on the Princess web site (http://www.princess.com).

Norm.
Old February 18th, 2001, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Nanatravel,

Your statement that the only alternative restaurant other than the pizzeria (which, BTW, is outstanding!) aboard MV Dawn Princess is the buffet is not really accurate. In the evening, a portion of the Horizon Court becomes a bistro with full table service and operates as such until 4:00 AM. There's a sample of the bistro menu -- which includes several entrees -- at http://www.princess.com/onboard/menu4.html on the Princess web site (http://www.princess.com).

Norm.
Old February 19th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Norm, you are correct of course. We never ate at the Bistro, my mindset was true alternative like the Painted Desert or Sabatini's or the Olympic. Each cruise line and even cruise ship has pluses and minuses. We put our choices as Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess with price, itinerary, food and service all ranked very closely when totalled. Princess has the best embarkation & disembarkation methods and I love Princess Cays and the entertainment. Celebrity treats you like adults - staff is there to serve but not be intrusive (many feel this is cold, but we have come to know that they aim to please not entertain you). RCI offers a great all around product for the majority of people.
Choice is part of the fun of preparing for a cruise.
Bon Voyage
Old February 21st, 2001, 08:34 AM
Yeoman

I made my first voyage on Princess Cruises two weeks ago on board the Grand Princess.

It was a swell cruise -- mostly due to the company of great friends. But, honestly, I'd jump overboard and swim for the closest Celebrity ship given the opportunity.

The food, service and overall atmosphere on Celebrity (I've been on the Galaxy and Century) are superior to the Grand. Read Sue's message. She really tells it like it is.

Have a wonderful trip on whatever ship you choose!
Old February 21st, 2001, 11:53 AM
Jody Brown

First, I 've been on both lines (Cenury, Grand, Sun, Star and Sea in 2 weeks) and the Grand is nothing like the Dawn that you asked about. I wouldn't go on the Grand again, nothing bad, just too big for us. We really enjoy the 'Sun' class ships, if we didn't, we wouldn't be doing the Sea then would we?
Here has been our experience:

1) Staff -- Princess wins hands down. Period. The staff on Celebrity weren't rude, just not 'outgoing' like the Princess staff.
2) Princess gets a big plus for having the pools open all night and for using freshwater. Celebrity close them early (I believe around 7:00) and use salt water.
3) Buffets, again Princess. Open 24 hrs a day. Celebrity - no, not even close.
4) Rooms, Celebrity gets a big edge here, rooms are bigger. Princess does include a fridge instead of a 'mini-bar'.
5) Food, even. I like to eat food, not look at it like a piece of art!
6) Ships, almost even. When comparing the Sun class to the Century. A slight lean to the Century. I would give the Century a 9.5 and the Sun class ships a 9.25. The Grand, maybe an 8.
7) Overall, for us, Princess wins handsdown when comparing these two ships. But, compared to the Grand, we would chose the Century. All of this being said, we would go on the Century again and probably will since Princess is pulling the weekly Sun class ships out of Fort Lauderdale the next cruising season.
We have sailed with RCI, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess.
The only line we wouldn't cruise with again is Carnival.
Princess ranks very high with us.
Whatever you chose, just remember to have a great time!
fun,fun,fun,
JBrown