Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Dawn Stefano

Default Personal Choice Rollout Schedule?

I know that Personal Choice Dining is already on Grand and will be on Golden when she begins sailing this spring. Does anyone know Princess' schedule for introducing this innovation on the other ships? I'd like to see something more specific than "by the end of 2001."

I am considering a late summer Alaska cruise and am wondering if Personal Choice will be on any of the ships sailing there (Dawn, Sea, Ocean, Sun)? I'd really like to have this option available if I go!
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2001, 03:32 PM
BEAV

Default Re: Personal Choice Rollout Schedule?

Dawn,

I attended a Princess Alaska Travel Show back in January and the Princess rep said they are planning on rolling out the Personal Choice program DURING the summer on the ships that will be in Alaska.
Old February 20th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Dawn Stefano

I just spoke to a travel agent who told me that the "official" word from Princess' reservationists is that the Personal Choice option may not be available on these ships until early in 2002.

Who to believe? If this information is correct, I will consider delaying until next year.
Old February 20th, 2001, 03:02 PM
BillG

When Princess originally announced they were introducing "personal choice" dining, they estimated that two of their dining rooms would be needed for those guests choosing this option, with one dining room being sufficient for the "traditional dining" passengers. The initial indications are that the numbers are exactly the reverse, though this may of course change as more passengers become acquainted with the two options. Perhaps their initial miscalculation has caused them to go more slowly in expanding the program to the rest of the fleet. If so, can we blame them ?
We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on Dawn Princess in Alaska two years ago, so I don't believe that I would defer my next cruise on a Princess ship solely because of the dining options offered.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 01:39 PM
Dawn Stefano

Bill:

I, too, have cruised on Princess and several other lines and though I've enjoyed each and every trip, I've always been turned off by being forced into someone else's schedule or into what can sometimes be awkward social situations. I go on vacation to escape from that kind of thing.

So I'm definitely not ruling Princess out, but if I can wait until the experience will allow me more freedom and choice, I don't see that as a bad thing. If I'm going to spend big bucks to do Alaska, I want to do it my way!

Dawn
Old February 22nd, 2001, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree. I have already booked a May Alaska Cruise on the Dawn. This is our first cruise. I had thought the personal choice dining would be in effect but I guess not. We are currently booked for first seating, table for two, which is what I prefer.

Can anyone tell me how it works without personal choice. What if I don't want to dress up for dinner that night or I'm running late from some other activity and can't eat until later? Can I choose to eat elsewhere on the ship?
Old February 23rd, 2001, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Princess has the alternate "Bistro" dining offered each evening with menu service. It is in the Buffet restaurant and entertainment is provided during some dining hours. The dress code is more relaxed in this area, too. On the Sea Princess, the pizzeria was also open in the evenings. Alaska is beautiful but it may be cool in May, so don't forget to bring gloves & hat and a Polartec lined type jacket. You will need it.
Bon Voyage