Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Ocean Princess leaving fleet

Princess announced that Ocean Princess will be leaving the fleet to join P&O! Sometime in 2002.

Carole
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2001, 05:45 PM
jsea

Default What?! Why the Ocean??

I'm very surprised that Princess would dump such a new vessel. But I guess it doesn't matter since there are three more just like her.

~~~
jsea
Old February 16th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Dawn Stefano

Default Re: What?! Why the Ocean??

And I believe another one (Coral Princess?) is on the way to take Ocean's place.
Old February 17th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Dawn,

I didn't think Princess would leave a vacuum. How big will Coral Princess be, does anyone know?

Carole
Old February 18th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Linder

The Coral Princess is 88,000 Tons and will a brand new style. There is no itinerary set for her yet, but my guess is she will leave from San Juan unless they change the itineraries of The Sea and Dawn which is a possibility.

Having sailed on all the Sun Ships, my favorite was The Ocean and I'm dissapointed they chose her.

As soon as I receive plans of The Coral I will let you know..
Old February 18th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Carole Dunham

Thanks Linder. I really enjoyed Ocean as well. I don't think Princess chose to transfer her. I believe it was probably P&O which seems to be building up a fleet of new ships.

Carole
Old February 18th, 2001, 04:20 PM
CruisJack

Ahoy Mates :-)

Someone, I believe it was Carole, inquired about the size of the Coral Princess.

The Coral Princess, an 88,000 ton ship, is being built by Chantiers de l'Antlantique in France and scheduled to debut in October 2002. A sister ship to the Coral Princess to be known as the Island Princess will debut in June 2003.

Both will feature an innovative power generation technlogy --a combination of diesel engines and gas turbines, with the gas turbine placed in the ship's funnel. In addition, only 10 percent of the staterooms will be inside, with 80 percent of those outside cabins featuring a private balcony -- a Princess hallmark.
Island Princess will carry on the name of one of the line's original "Love Boats," which left the fleet last year.

There's more.

Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess are being constructed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. The two 113,000 ton ships are the largest cruise ships ever ordered by Princess, and the first to be ordered from MHI. They are due for delivery in July 2003 and May 2004, respectively, and will offer many innovative features that will further extend the Princess emphasis on choice, innovation and customer service. Also to feature diesel and gas turbine propulsoin, more that 70 percent of the ship's cabins will be outside staterooms, with more than 75 percent of these including balconies.

You probably already know that Star Princess will be the third of the company's renowned Grand Princess-class series of ships, and currently is under construction at the Fincantieri shipyard in Mafalcone, Italy. It is scheduled to debut in March 2002, and is the sister ship to the Grand Princess and Golden Princess. The name Star Princess was taken from one of the line's former vessels which debuted in 1989, just after the company merged with Sitmar Cruises. The Star was transferred to P & O Cruises in 1989 and is currently sailing from Shouthampton as Arcadia.

That's all folks.

Ciao,
Jack

________/7_____/7_________
\ ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carole Dunham wrote:
>
> Hi Dawn,
>
> I didn't think Princess would leave a vacuum. How big will
> Coral Princess be, does anyone know?
>
> Carole
Old February 18th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Admiral

jsea,

"Dumping" is not quite the right word here. According to the announcement, MV Ocean Princess is going to the British P&O Cruises division to operate as MV Oceana.

Norm.
Old February 18th, 2001, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Carole,

MV Coral Princess and sister MV Island Princess will conform to the Panamax specifications. These vessels will displace 88,000 tons and carry 1950 passengers. These vessels the same passenger capacity as MV Ocean Princess but are somewhat larger vessel, so they should be more spacious.

I'm guessing that most of the additional space will be in the cabins since MV Ocean Princess (and her sisters) have the smallest cabins in the Princess fleet.

Norm.
Old February 18th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Linder,

My guess is that MV Coral Princess will assume the itineraries previously announced for MV Ocean Princess. If I remember correctly, these included a series of Mexican Riviera itineraries operating out of Los Angeles in the fall followed by a series of 10-day Southern Caribbean itineraries operating out of Fort Lauderdale in the winter and early spring.

Norm.
Old February 19th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Linder

Norm,

I sure hope you are wrong I have done The Southern when the Ocean was new and am doing the 10 day in 2002.

Oh well, I go for the ship and not the ports anyway!

Nice to hear from all of you, Carole, Jack....

Linder
Old February 19th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Norm,

The small cabin and enclosed balcony was the thing I liked least about Ocean Princess. Other than that, it was a marvelous chip. I hope the British enjoy her as much as we did.

Carole
Old February 19th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Carole Dunham

Wow, Jack, This sounds like QUITE a ship. I hope they have fewer problems with her new system than Celebrity did with Millenium and her new propulsion system.

Carole
Old February 20th, 2001, 11:10 AM
BillG

P& O also reported that their profits last year showed a drop of 11% partly due to having to cancel some Middle East cruises and also because of the highly discounted and competitive Caribbean market. Sounds a bit like a realignment of their fleets to improve their financial situation. It is also a quicker and less expensive way for P&O to add to its fleet without incurring the costs and delay involved with a new build. Could the removal of butlers from their ships be a cost cutting measure as well?
Old February 20th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Linder!

If anyone is interested in going on the Ocean in March of 2002, I know someone who has great group rates on it and booked her for the 2nd time. I really enjoyed meeting you on the Cruisemates Group Cruise. Linder, I tried emailing you direct to tell you but your email was full.

I hope nobody minds me posting this here....

Paula
Old February 20th, 2001, 06:08 PM
jsea

Default I use "dumping" very loosely...

I know, it says that in Carole's original post, but I was just surprised that Princess would transfer Ocean and not an older ship. I had never imagined that Pacific or Royal would last longer as a Princess vessel than Ocean.

~~~
jsea
Old February 22nd, 2001, 01:29 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: I use "dumping" very loosely...

I hope they never, ever transfer Royal. Sucn a unique vessel. I am really surprised Princess never built another one. But back when she was built they didn't build ships the way they do today, no modules. Considering her all outside, all full bath cabins I guess it was just too expensive. We sailed her second voyage. In those days the Princess officers not just the captain sat with passengers. We sat with the chief engineer ( a delightful man who treated us all like personal guests at a dinner party). He apologized for having to read the engineering manual at dinner. The darned thing was about 5 inches thick. He told us the ship was the most innovative ever built. It could sail with a crew of only 5! Of course they were not talking about service personnel.

Carole
Old February 22nd, 2001, 04:12 PM
Steve S

Interested in the group rates March 2002. Details please.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Steve,

I would be happy to, but first you will have to tell me what date you are interested in, what Cat, etc. and I think that is against the rules of the board.

If you email me direct I can get the answers for youSteve S wrote:
>
> Interested in the group rates March 2002. Details please.
Old March 8th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Babette

Well, considering how little the butlers were paid... how could it be a cost cutting measure. I really think most people just didn't know how to use their services and felt uncomfortable having them around.