Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2001, 06:09 AM
Noelle

Default forward or aft?

We can't get a cabin in exactly the middle, so are we better off more forward or more aft? Is aft more stable (motion wise)?

And are the minisuite balconies completely exposed, or just partially? Same question for the B category Carib balconies?

Thanks in advance... :>
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2001, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: forward or aft?

Noelle wrote:
>
> We can't get a cabin in exactly the middle, so are we better
> off more forward or more aft? Is aft more stable (motion wise)?
>
> And are the minisuite balconies completely exposed, or just
> partially? Same question for the B category Carib balconies?
>
> Thanks in advance... :>

Hi Noelle,
I'd go with more in the direction of aft. The one time we had a forward cabin, we were on the side with the anchor and boy can that make a racket, along (I thought) more movement. Our last cruise was only 4 cabins up from aft and it was very smooth, no complaints. BTW, what ship are you cruising on??

Donnassei
Old March 4th, 2001, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Noelle,

I don't think that it really matters a whole lot whether you are forward or aft. The cabins are basically the same and the amount of motion that you will feel is pretty similar either way. On the newer Princess ships, none of the passenger cabins are far enough forward for the anchor to be a consideraton.

Norm.
Old March 5th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Norm is right about the anchor not really being a problem on the newer Princess ships, but the WINCHES are guaranteed to bring you out a of sound sleep!!!!! We were 2 doors from being furthest forward on Plaza deck on the Dawn Princess, and we knew exactly when the mooring lines were being set and tightened up after the ship arrived in each port. I am a very sound sleeper, but I did find myself being awakened by the loud whine of the winches on two 6 am pier arrivals. It didn't bother me, as I am a early riser normally anyway, but a word to the wise about this.
Old March 9th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie

We were in L238 - Balcony Cabin, very much forward. The rocking didn't bother me at all. It was as if I were being rocked to sleep. Last year I stayed in Baja 627, an inside cabin, pretty much in midship. Still felt a little rock.

We sailed 2/25/01; there was a storm system off the coast and it affected the sea, so the ship rocked quite a bit. Remember...you are on a cruise, on the water, on the ocean. The ocean rules.

I would not want to stay in the back, although I would if I had no choice. I feel the front is probably less rocky since the boat is forging ahead. The aft is following, so I would imagine that to be more shakey. I'm no expert, so don't listen to me!

All in all, our cruise was absolutely beautiful.

We heard the anchors go down one morning but not enough to shake us out of sleep. Of course, we were thirteen floors up!

HAVE FUN
Old March 10th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Beckie

Two different situations, two different Sun class ships....
My inlaws sailed to Alaska on the Dawn in '98 and were forward. They hit rough seas--so rough the capt. advised if they hadn't gotten out of bed yet, to wait it out (this was early a.m.)--All they kept hearing was the clanging of the anchor on the side of the ship. Believe they were on the Dolphin Deck.
We were on the Sea this past Nov. West. Carib. I get motion sick very easy. The worst place for me was in the Vista Lounge (Deck 7 ? Aft.) Also had minor problems on deck, aft. No problems on deck or in the Princess Theater which are both forward. (The bridge was a whole other story as the day of our tour was rough seas. EVERYONE was sick that day.)