Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2001, 06:19 PM
richkats

Default Grand Class vs. Sun Class

Which class of ship do you prefer -- the Sun or the Grand?

Thanks,

-- R&K
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Grand Class vs. Sun Class

Hi Richkats,
So far I've only cruised on Ocean and I really loved that class of ship, (same as Sun). Plan to be on Golden for the New Years cruise with Cruisemates, so I'll be better able to compare. I really fell for the whole "Princess" experience, don't think you could go wrong with cruising with them. Have fun.

Donnassei
Old March 4th, 2001, 09:52 PM
Admiral

R&K,

If you're going to be "cabin moles" who rarely show their faces in public while aboard ship, opt for MV Grand Princess or MV Golden Princess. Their cabins are slightly larger than the cabins on MV Sun Princess and, in general, have a superior layout. If you're high rollers who like a fancy suite, MV Grand Princess and MV Golden Princess also offer more alternatives as to the type and size of suite that you might select.

I'm not exactly a "cabin mole." I go cruising to meet people, to participate in some of the activities offered aboard ship, and to relax and enjoy the sea-going life. Given the choice that you postulate, I'll cruise aboard MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, or MV Ocean Princess any time.

>> The public spaces aboard MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess are much more functional than the public spaces aboard MV Grand Princess, many of which are simply too small for the capacity of the vessel.

>> MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess invariably offer enough concurrent activities that I'm forever having to skip something in I really would like to participate. The additional activities aboard MV Grand Princess only make the choices more difficult and the add to the regrets that I could not do everything that I wanted.

>> The public spaces aboard MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess are large, open, and spacious, so finding a place to sit (or whatever) for an activity is never a problem and none of the spaces feel even remotely closed in. Several public spaces aboard MV Grand Princess (and probably also aboard MV Golden Princess, though there was an attempt to correct at least some of the problems on the latter) -- some of which acrually are much smaller than the equivalent spaces aboard MV Sun Princess and her sisters -- are simply too small in relation to the capacity of the vessel for the activities held there. For example, I often could not find a place in the Wheelhouse Bar, which has live music for dancing, after the show and there were so many people who came to play bridge that they could not fit into the card room when I was aboard MV Grand Princess. Additinally, several of the public spaces aboard MV Grand Princess, including the atrium and the Vista Show Lounge (due to a low overhead), feel very claustrophobic. The atrium aboard MV Golden Princess has a modified design that might not be as bad, but I doubt that the designers can do anything about the low overhead in the Vista Show Lounge.

>> MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess have a full wrap-around promenade route on a single level for those who wish to walk laps. Aboard MV Grand Princess and MV Golden Princess, you have to ascend the equivalent of three normal flights of stairs, go around the "bow walk" that appears as a dark stripe in the brochure photos of these vessels (called the "upper promenade deck" in the deck plans), and descend the equivalent of three normal flights of stairs to return to the main level of the promenade.

>> There are several other public rooms aboard MV Grand Princess with very poor layouts. The Horizon Court is split into two separate sides that don't interconnect, so people who arrange to meet there won't find each other if they enter on the opposite sides. The Botticelli Dining Room (MV Grand Princess) or Canaletto Dining Room (MV Golden Princess) are in extremely awkward locations with no "gathering space" (lounge, etc.) near their entrances, so the throng waiting to enter backs up onto the stairway. Additionally, these dining rooms get obnoxious noises and vibrations from the stage elevators for the Vista Show Lounge located directly above whenever they raise and lower the stage. MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess don't suffer from this sort of problem.

>> Finally, MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Golden Princess have magical teak deck lounges on the Promenade Deck that are absolutely the most wonderful place to relax on an afternoon at sea. :-) You have to try one to understand its magical properties, but be sure to do so on the SHADY side of the vessel! Alas, the promenades aboard MV Grand Princess and MV Golden Princess are not wide enough to accommodate these wonders!

Given a choice, I'll take MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, or MV Ocean Princess any time over MV Grand Princess or MV Golden Princess. It's no contest. Then again, I'm not a "cabin mole" -- so look for me out and about the public spaces aboard these vessels.

Have a delightful cruise, whichever vessel you choose!

Norm.
Old March 5th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Jody Brown

We prefer the 'Sun' Class over the 'Grand Class'. We've been on the Grand, the Sun and will be leaving on the Sea on 3/10. Don't get me wrong, the Grand is really nice, we just found it too big. We enjoy meeting people and on the Sun class ships, its much easier. After you've been involved in the activities you enjoy doing, you'll notice a similar group of faces. On the Grand, that never happened, just too many people for us.
Whichever one you choose, have a great cruise!
fun,fun,fun,
JBrown
Old March 5th, 2001, 12:09 PM
richkats

Norm,

Wow! Thanks for that detailed comparison. Just what we were looking for. We're booked on the Sea Princess but wondering what we were missing by not going on the Grand Class. Sounds like Sea Princess is our kind of ship. We love those promenade decks that go all around the ship -- just like HAL.

Thanks again.

-- Rich and Kathy
Old March 5th, 2001, 12:13 PM
richkats

Jodi,

Thanks for your comments. Just the info we were looking for.

-- R&K
Old March 6th, 2001, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Rich and Kathy,

You're welcome.

I doubt that you will have any regrets about cruising aboard MV Sea Princess. She is a spectacular ship.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Norm.
Old March 11th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Sun Class....hands down! Enjoy!
Old March 29th, 2001, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Hi R&K...

Well, let me be the one contrarian. <smile> My wife and I have cruised on both the Sun and the Grand. Although we really liked the Sun Princess and had a fabulous cruise, I prefer the Grand. We are going back on the Grand next week.

We had balcony staterooms on both ships and I liked the lay out of the Grand better and the balcony was much larger.

We love the shows and the Grand's show rooms are spectacular... fantastic sound and lighting. The entertainers on the Grand were far superior to those on the Sun. Now, I'm sure that probably has been improved by now.

I really enjoyed some of the alternative dining on the Grand as well.

Hope this helps.

Bob "MacTarheel"