Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Duane T

Default Ocean Princess-just back and open for questions!

My wife and just returned from a cruise on the Ocean Princess. Itinerary was San Juan, day at sea, Aruba, Caracas, Grenada, Dominica and St. Thomas. Give me a couple of days to recover and I plan to post a long review of the trip in "Ship Reviews". Meanwhile, I'm open for any questions. All in all, it was our best cruise so far. Regards to all.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Ocean Princess-just back and open for question

I cannot wait to read your review as my wife and I are booked on that exact cruise leaving on
March 25. My first question (more to follow after I read your review) relates to Caracas. I have read
several postings that Caracas is worth giving a miss to. We do not want to be on the go all of the time
and are trying to figure out which port to least explore so that we can relax on board . Do you have
any comments on Caracas? Thanks in advance.
Old March 5th, 2001, 08:55 PM
bshurley

I would love to know what suggestions you have for excursions in Dominica. Do you go on any of the Princess tours.
Old March 5th, 2001, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Duane,
So glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise on "Ocean Princess". I too really loved that ship and the whole Princess expierence, looking forward to your review :-)

Donnassei
Old March 6th, 2001, 01:04 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Duane,

Can't wait to read your review. I will be sailing on the Ocean Princess on April 8th. I would love for you to share any and all info that will be helpful -especially shore excursion info, as well as how you liked the food.

So glad you had a great trip!

Lisa
Old March 6th, 2001, 09:28 PM
Duane T

Michael-People we talked to were pretty "ho-hum" about Caracas. One tour was delayed when a brick truck tipped over. The local police, instead of re-routing traffic, just held traffic up. Finally, one local native that was aboard the bus(related to the tour guide) got off the bus and after 30 minutes of "negotiation" ,got the police to re-route traffic. They were held up from their tour for about an hour. If the local guy had not been there, they estimate they would have been held up about three hours until the brick truck issue was resolved. I guess traffic is a major problems for some of the tours. Only positive comments we heard were from folks who took the short, half day tour which included the glass factory. People were really blown away by glass factory tour and got some really exquisite pieces for VERY reasonable prices. We stayed on the ship and just enjoyed the day. Very relaxing. The Port City of La Guira is very poverty stricken and unattractive. Garbage thrown into the gullys between the houses. Nothing to do or see on shore. We recommended they eliminate this Port of Call in our evaluation. Info we read on the internet prior to leaving seemed pretty accurate.
Old March 6th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Duane T

Regarding the question re: excursions in Dominica. This is an Island that loves staying the way it has always been. You will not see big hotels or fancy tourist facilities. Lots of mountains (up to 4000 feet). That is exactly the reason we loved this Island. If you are an ecco tourist this is the Island for you. We did the Carribe Territory tour. Left in the a.m. and returned about 1:30p.m. Excellent guide. The guide was a Carribe native. Stopped at a Catholic Church for a short show by the children-cute. Some shopping with native vendors of baskets. On to Carribe meeting house where we were treated to a native Carribe dance group. More basket shopping. Stopped briefly for a short hike into the rain forrest to visit the Emerald Falls. Very busy place with lots of folks on cruise ship days-very beautiful. The real draw here are the exquistie baskets these folks make. A three day process from start to finish, we were told. This tribe immigrated from inland Venezuala 500 years ago and brought the basket making traditions with them. Bring an extra suitecase and buy several because they are a bargain and, I am told, are valuable. Small basket is about $7.00. Everyone on the tour enjoyed the day. Nice Toyota bus. The only shopping in Rousseau are vendors stalls near the cruise dock.
Old March 10th, 2001, 01:11 AM
siren

Do you remember the name of the maitre d and cruise director on board Ocean Princess?
Old March 12th, 2001, 01:31 AM
Duane T

Captain was Cesare Ditel. Maitre D' was Generoso Mazzone. Cruise Director was Paul O'Loghlin. Had Paul as director as our director on our 97' cruise to Mexican Riviera on Sun Princess too. Excellent on both occasions. Siren, I sent a more detailed e-mail to you at your e-mail address. Let me know if you did not get it. Regards.
Old March 13th, 2001, 10:56 PM
Mike SantaLucia

Lisa,

My wife and I will be on the April 8th cruise as well (just booked it on Sunday)... it's our first cruise so we're not quite sure what to expect but are looking forward to it nonetheless.

Have you cruised w/Princess before?