Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2001, 11:11 PM
Phill

Default Celebrity Summit vs. Ocean Princess

Am trying to plan a cruise for Late Mar. Early April 02 for my wife's birthday and Summit & Ocean Princess have similar Itinearies for 10 days in the Southern Carribean. I am curious about peoples feelings about both cruise lines in general and about these classes of ships in particular. Also interested in comparing Celeb. Cat 3 cabins to Princess AB and AC. We have only taken one short 5 day on RCI and liked the crusie concept but thought it was to short and the food was average at best. From what I have read these two lines would be a better bet.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Steve S

Default Re: Celebrity Summit vs. Ocean Princess

The Princess AB & AC are comparable to Celebrity Cat 3 in square footage, 270. Very spacious. The balcony for Princess AC & AB are approximately 45 to 48 square feet.
Celebs Cat 3 is around three to four times the size of Princess.

One draw back is Celebrity Cat 3 are the most aft cabins. Celeb ships are known for rear vibration. The new class Celeb ships, Millennium, Infinity and Summit did change propulsion systems but from others who wrote the vibration is still there just not as bad. It is felt more when coming and leaving port.

The food on both are very good, but I lean toward Celeb.
My wife and I like Princess and Celebrity over the other cruise lines we have sailed. Both are great choices.

Matter of fact looking at the Celebrity Summit for March 2002 Southern Caribbean ourselves.

Others who see your message may add more information.
Old March 6th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Mary Lou

I haved sailed on Celebrity 3 times and will sail for the first time on Princess in December. My most recent cruise with Celebrity was in January on Millennium.
It was a wonderful experience. As far as the vibration goes.....it is not bad at all. Please do not let that influence you in anyway. The food on Celebrity is the best.
I'm sure which ever you choose, you will have a wonderful experience. What a great birthday present.
Old March 6th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Phill,

Both lines seem to get very good comments from past passengers overall. I have never sailed aboard any Celebrity vessel, so I have no basis for personal comparison.

I personally think that MV Ocean Princess and her three sisters are the best vessels on which I have embarked, and would recommend them without hesitation to anybody. The cabins on these vessels are somewhat smaller than on other Princess ships, but still very functional. The layout of the public spaces on these ships really shines, they offer an impressive array of activities (I frequently have had to make difficult choices between events happening at the same time), and the staff will bend over backward to meet any request in true Princess fashion.

Norm.
Old March 12th, 2001, 03:58 AM
Passenger

Hi Phil,

My husband and I just returned from Millenium today; the best cruising experience to this date. I would suggest the Summit. The staterooms far outweigh the Princess line for space ratio as well as the service and the quality and taste of the food. We have been on three Princess cruises and two Celebrity cruises. We are thinking of booking the Summit for next year.

Mercury 1997 - Tremendous experience (Western Carribean)
Sun - 1998 - Very nice ship (Eastern Carribean)
Sea - 1999 Beautiful ship (Alaska)
Grand - 2000 Beautiful ship (Eastern Carribean)
Millenium - 2001 (Eastern Carribean) The best crusing experience ever. The service was impeccable, cabin was spacious. One suggestion is to get a veranda. The extra cost is really worth it. The cabin attendant was wonderful. Guest relations was responsive to any requests. The ship decor is spectacular and the Summit is a sister ship to the Millenium. I must note that my husband and I didn't have ONE single complaint during the whole trip.

In summary, I don't think you would be disappointed on either line, but Celebrity is definitely a step above for the food and service.

Have a great time!~!

Rose