Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Andrew Hicks

Default celebrity (galaxy) vs. princess (dawn)

My wife and I are sailing on the dawn princess May 12th sailing to Alaska. We fell in love with Celebrity the last time we sailed but unfortunately we couldn't find any good deals with them. Is Princess comparable to Celebrity in terms of food, cleanliness, etc? We are worried that we are going to be let down (hope not). We sailed on Galaxy and absolutely loved it. Our cabin on Dawn is an inside cabin on the Aloha deck. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: celebrity (galaxy) vs. princess (dawn)

Hi Andrew,
I still am waiting to give Celebrity a try, but I was very pleased with the food, service, cleanliness on Ocean Princess last year. I hope you too will be happy with Dawn Princess, love those class ships. Enjoy Alaska, hear its an awesome cruise, hope to do it one day soon.

Donnassei
Old March 16th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Steve S

Unable to answer your question about an inside cabin, never had one.
Sailed Galaxy last Sept and enjoyed it greatly. Sailed Dawn and Sun (sister ships) the year before and had a great time. The Grand Foyer/ Atrium is unbelievable.
The food we felt was very good on both. Celebrity does have a better presentaion on the food, but you can not eat presentation.
The Dawn and Sun were kept very clean.
You will not be disappointed.
Have a great trip. Alaska is a wonderous state. Don't skimp on the shore excursions, as the helicptor ride to the glacier or a flight to the Misty Fiords. They are up in cost but the feeling you will have upon your return is worth it. One item we always say to ourselves is that we did the excursion; instead of coming back and say"Wish we had done that trip". The money is becomes small compared to the memory and pictures.
Alaska for most people is a once in a lifetime experience. Take everything you can get out of it.
Old March 16th, 2001, 11:53 PM
Carole Dunham

Princess and Celebrity both give excellent cruise experiences, but they are quite different. I love them both. Princess cabins are a bit smaller than Celebrity's but still well laid out with lots of storage space. Personally, I prefer the look of the Celebrity ships and I love contemporary art. However, that is totally subjective. Service on Celebrity is more formal, very well done, sort of like the best restaurant in town and of course, the food is delicious. Celebrity kind of falls down with reference to alternative dining, which is where Princess shines. Service on Princess is friendlier, sort of like what you would find at your favorite neighborhood trattoria. Food is also wonderful. For alternatives, you have the pizzeria and boy is it ever great pizza, The Bistro, which is the Horizon's Court sitdown menu restaurant which operates inbetween 7:30PM and 4:00AM. No reservations needed, no formal dress and they have music and a dance floor during dinner. Food in The Bistro is absolutely wonderful since they're cooking for so few people. If I recall (I might be wrong), they charged for tips in the pizzeria. The Bistro was free. Now they have an upscale steakhouse onboard with a charge of $8.00. Since I adore a good steak, this sounds wonderful. Personal choice dining will be in place in Alaska. Since Princess pioneered Alaska cruising, they have many years of experience in that beautiful state. You will have a great time. I've cruised Alaska 7 times, only once on the Galaxy, once on Royal, a line that no longer exists, and the other 5 times on Princess. Enjoy!

Carole
Old March 17th, 2001, 10:01 AM
First Mate

Take a 360 tour of the Dawn at: <http://www.mytravelco.com/cruises/cruiseship/360/cruiseships.asp?Media_Type=1&brand=1&SN=803&SC=DP>
You can see most areas of the Dawn including a Inside stateroom.

Enjoy!!
Michael
AKA MrPrincess