Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2001, 09:53 AM
ML

Default Carnival vs Princess

We have cruised Carnival in the past, and are now going on a Princess Cruise. Is there much difference? We had a great time on Carnival.
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Carnival vs Princess

It depends on your age and what you expect of the cruise. Carvival is great for young and young middle age groups. There are a lot of discos and fun things that wouldn't appeal to the older groups. I love Princess, they have something for every one. Thery are just a little more sophisticated and the staterooms and amenities are much better. However, I have enjoyed both. Helen
Old March 25th, 2001, 06:05 PM
First Mate

I went on a Sun Princess caribbean cruise. All the white and silver hair made us crazy. The average ages of people on this ship were between 65 and 208. WE are in our early 30's. The entertainment was also geared to these "old folks". Most of the sonds played we didn't even recognize. We have sailed Carnival 7 times and never have been dissapointed. Thats why they call them the FUN SHIPS!
Old March 25th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Andrew Hicks

If you have the opportunity, go on a Celebrity cruise. We sailed on the Galaxy and were absolutely amazed with the cleanliness and overall service of the staff. We seriously doubt that there is anything better than this. Our opinions of Carnival are not very good. Our opinion (for what it's worth) is that Carnival is geared toward the college/alcoholic crowd. With RCCL, Celebrity, or Princess you will get much, much, more elegance and quality not all the glitter and cheap decorations like Carnival. For the record, my wife and I are in our mid 20's and are going on our 3rd cruise.
Old March 25th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Andrew Hicks wrote:
>
. Our opinions
> of Carnival are not very good. Our opinion (for what it's
> worth) is that Carnival is geared toward the
> college/alcoholic crowd.

I think all the cruise lines have various strengths and weaknesses, even from ship to ship. I haven't found any to be consistent in all areas.
And of late the industry seems to be changing often with all sort of innovations.
I believe Carnival has been in the forefront with many of it's changes. Their food quality has improved dramatically in the last few years, and in my opinion compete favourably with any of the other majors.
I've yet to experience a "college/alcoholic crowd" on any of my Carnival cruises.
A Carnival cruise isn't for everyone, but from my experiences, they seem to attract the broadest cross section of age groups, from 20s thru 90s.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old March 26th, 2001, 10:26 AM
First Mate

I"ve sailed 10 times with many different lines including Carnival. I would have to say that I'd never sail on them again. Royal Caribbean out does themselves everytime. There can be no experience like sailing onboard Voyager or Explorer; I think if you're someone who's looking to have a good time, but enjoys the finer things in life...Royal Caribbean is your best bet. Just for the record, I'm 22 and took 16 college buddies onboard Voyager and we loved it...would never travel on Carnival, its not worth the money.

Steve
Old March 30th, 2001, 04:00 PM
BillG

I usually cringe when I see a posting Cruise line X vs Cruise line Y. Inevitably all the stereotypes are applied to the lines in question and bashing of the lines and their fans is rampant. I concur with Kuki's remarks and think that each cruise line has its particular strengths and appeals to thousands of cruisers like you and me. Not every cruiseship is the right match for everyone, but I have sailed on a number of lines, on very big new ships and smaller, older ships. Each, in its own way, provided me with a wonderful experience and usually I have found a wide range of ages represented among my fellow passengers. Rather than ask which ship or line is "better" perhaps we should list what we are looking for in our next cruise and ask which ship or line may most closely match our tastes and expectations. Rather than put down any particular line or attribute uncomplimentary characteristics to its faithful passengers, let's try to provide more objective information and less chauvinism in our posts.