Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Passenger

Default Personnal Choice Dinning

Has anybody had experience with the new personnal choice dinning option on Grand Princess. My wife and I are scheduled to cruise on Her in August and are wondering how well this works. Also does anyone know if they offer a tour to the Myan Ruins at Chezenitza hope I spelled it right).
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Personnal Choice Dinning

It's Mayan, but what the heck, as long as we could figure it out, who cares. Oh Princess, I am going to stick with the traditional dining option. I really like the idea of eating with the same people. This way you get to know some of your fellow cruisers. On Grand Princess, you have several other dining options anyway. You can get reservations at Sabatini's or the Painted Desert or you could go without reservations to The Bistro.During the day that is the Horizon Court buffet. From 7:30PM until 4:00AM it becomes a full service restaurant. I loved it. The food was always prepared to order. I don't think I ever saw more than 20 people there at any given time. It was my favorite restaurant on the ship. You can eat there if you are on the traditional dining service or personal choice.

Carole
Old March 27th, 2001, 09:22 AM
re

Bob,
We selected PC Dining on the Grand for our Feb. sailing, and really enjoyed it. We had the same waiter several times, but different dinner companions each evening. We always like meeting new people and this provided us that opportunity. Saw many of them again on the ship and in the ports. We like the idea of eating when we want and this afforded us that opportunity. Have booked another on the Sun for 2002, again it will be PC Dining.

Whatever your choice have a GREAT CRUISE!
Old March 28th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Passenger

We had Traditional Dining on our Feb 01 cruise. It was only the second week of Personal Choice and we weren't sure about trying it. People we talked to who used it liked it but said if you didn't make a reservation for the time you wanted and just showed up you sometimes had to wait as long as 30 minutes, especially if you wanted a table just for your group. Also the Horizan Court on the Grand now does not become a Bistro until 11pm. It is a buffet through dinner time. That change apparently started when Personal Choice did, never heard why. Most of the food was very good so don't worry too much about which dining option you pick, you will enjoy your dinner with either one.
Old March 30th, 2001, 10:46 PM
Lady Jag

The Grand offers a tour from Cozumel to Tulum, but I don't think they are offering the Chichen Itza tour. We'll get our shore excursions brochures in a couple days for our May 6th WESTERN Caribbean sailing and will know then if you want to e-mail me.

We have signed up for Personal Choice Dining and are really looking forward to it. We've been on the Grand before, and it was so hard to get ready for 1st seating dining on formal night. Our tablemates were 50 minutes late for dinner. We kept waiting and waiting. I think Personal Choice will eliminate a lot of that. Everything I have heard from people who have recently cruised the Grand have loved Personal Choice and that is why we changed our dining from second seating to P.Choice.
Old March 31st, 2001, 01:52 PM
Kim's Kruises

Default Re: Personnal Choice Dining

You can book traditional dining and still go to the Personal Choice dining if you have a night or two that you would rather not be on time for dinner. But you can not book Personal Choice and then switch to traditional once on the ship. I think that traditional gives you even more options.
Kim
Old April 11th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Personnal Choice Dining

At least during its initial stages, Kim is correct that Traditional seating guests can opt for Personal Choice, if they wish. Everyone we spoke to or heard talking about PC were very pleased. The only delays (lines) were when you did not make a reservation and arrived at the dining room during the prime time dining hours (7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m) then you had to wait a little longer. Also with PC, if you did not make a reservation and did not mind, you could be seated with others who you could share a table with for that evening. This seemed to work well too. Waitstaff assurred us they liked the new automatic tipping charge too. It was more fair to all of them. With so many dining choices throughout the day, they now get their fair share. Service did not seem to suffer because of this.
Bon Voyage