Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2001, 11:43 PM
Yeoman

Default dining choices

Is it true that there is a 15 dollar per person surcharge for certain restaraunts on the Grand Princess? There will be 8 people in our group, and this will add up quick.
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2001, 07:20 AM
First Mate

Default Re: dining choices

Yes, Michelle...

...there is now a <u>$15.00 per person</u> charge at Sabatini's Italian Restaurant on the Grand Princess but no longer a charge at the Painted Desert Southwestern Restaurant. According to the Cruise Answerbook, these restaurants "offer intimate settings with seating by prior reservation for your convenience and require a nominal charge." Nominal charge?!?!?!? Since when is 15 bucks per person a nominal charge?

We were on the Grand last year, and the charge <u>was</u> nominal... $3.50 per person at both restaurants. The food at Sabatini's was fabulous, so how could they improve it to charge that much more?

They are charging us for ice cream, sodas in the dining room, transfers with the air/sea packages and now for the specialty restaurants. What's next? Those little bars of soap at 50 cents a piece or the turn-down chocolates at a buck a pop? What happen to "ALL INCLUSIVE?"

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old April 1st, 2001, 10:32 AM
Lynda

I also believe the ice cream and the soft drinks should be
complimentary.
Other cruise lines offer a sofa card for one price for children under 18....now they just had come out with a soda card for adults which costs 29.95 for the entire cruise, and I think that is fare if we cannot get soft drinks complimentary.

Princess should offer the same deal and be competitive with the other cruise lines.
Old April 1st, 2001, 11:25 AM
First Mate

Hi Linda...

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. $29.95 is OUTRAGEOUS for a week of soft drinks for an adult. I can buy a six-pack of 16 oz. Pepsi products at Wal-Mart for $2.58 everyday and sometimes even cheaper. That's 43 cents a bottle. At that rate you would have to drink 70 sodas in a week. Okay, I know this is a cruise ship and they've got to make a few bucks, so let's assume a $1.50 charge per soda... that's still 20 sodas in a week. Neither my dentist nor my urologist would be happy with that kind of consumption. <grins>

Bob "MacTarheel"... who's at least glad he no longer has to contend with the expense of "adult" beverages.
Old April 3rd, 2001, 12:15 PM
cgbanks

MacTarheel,

I totally agree with you. It is becoming ridiculous all the additional charges we have to pay. Now the question is... What can be done about it? As long as people pay, the cruise lines will charge. I'm open to any ideas.

Cindy in OKC
Old April 3rd, 2001, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Hi Cindy...

You wrote... "What can be done about it?" Not much, except speak up and let the cruise lines know your feelings. They are selling a product and are in the customer service business, so hopefully they are taking some of our concerns to heart.

Making your comments on those questionnaires at the end of the cruise may help. Letters to management certainly would not hurt either.

Heck, you never know... someone at the cruise line may be reading our comments right here.

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old April 4th, 2001, 12:32 AM
Admiral

cgbanks,

There are three things that we can do about the surcharges that are appearing on the ship.

>> 1. Refuse to pay them. Dinner in the main dining room is still included in the fare, and Princess's main dining rooms features outstanding cuisine, service, and atmosphere and a variety of menus so there's no reason to eat elsewhere. Princess's main dining rooms also serve ice cream (including sundaes) at lunch and dinner at no extra charge. Last week, I actually saw a couple come into the dining room at lunch time, order ice cream, eat it, and leave.

>> 2. Complain to Princess at every opportunity -- and especially on your passenger questionnaire at the end of the cruise.

>> 3. Encourage other passengers to do likewise.

The surcharges will disappear when either (1) they cease to generate significant profit for the company or (2) the company perceives them to be a liability for public relations.

Norm.
Old April 4th, 2001, 10:25 AM
First Mate

Norm...

Excellent points! DITTO... DITTO... DITTO...

We are the customers. Let our voices be heard, not only about the things we do not like but the things we <u>do</u> like as well.

I love Princess Cruise Lines and would not be embarking on my fifth Princess cruise if I did not. Overall, they offer a superior product in my opinion. However, that does not preclude me or any other passenger from expressing our displeasure with a policy change.

Bob "MacTarheel"