Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2001, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cost of Air Deviations

I just wanted to clarify for others who might have misunderstood this as I did...

I thought if you bought the air through Princess, but wanted to have specific flights (i.e. your frequent flier airline), you could pay the additional $35.00 on top of their air cost for your flights.

I called to make my cruise deposit today and asked about the deviation. I usually book my own air, but Alaska and an open-jaw ticket is potentially expensive...

My cruise rep told me that you can request the deviation, but the cruise line will check the flights you have requested. If the cost of those flights is MORE than the air costs they are charging you, you are responsible for the $35 fee PLUS the difference in airfare.

That's good to know, as I didn't realize it worked that way! So, just in case anyone else needed this info....here it is!

I now have a deposit for the Ocean Princess, northbound Alaska cruise on August 27th :-)
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2001, 07:43 PM
Mary Lou

Default Re: Cost of Air Deviations

I was unaware of this. The two deviations that I booked with Celebrity were an additional $35.00 each.
Old April 2nd, 2001, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jill

Just returned from the Dawn and paid air deviation of $35. When I tried to book these flights myself the fare was a couple of hundred more than what we paid to Princess. Maybe they are able to get a better group rate.
Old April 2nd, 2001, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm the original poster... So, is it possible that the cruise broker was mistaken? Her information was that I would have to pay the deviation cost PLUS any difference in airfare... According to the last two posters, it's just the deviation fee... I guess I'll have to check with Princess or another TA and get a second opinion.
Old April 3rd, 2001, 12:11 PM
cgb

Terri,

You are correct. You can be liable for any difference in prices. My travel agent indicated the same. The fee for deviation is $35.

Cindy
Old April 4th, 2001, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Terri,

The agent is correct. This policy is clearly printed in all of Princess's brochures so there should be no question.

Princess ordinarily has seats on several airlines, and often can meet travellers' requests simply by assigning the requested flights preferentially to those who pay the $35 fee. If this happens, there's no difference in air fare so the only extra charge is the $35 fee. You probably would encounter a charge for the difference in air fare if you request a stopover en route or some similar deviation, and you might encounter it if you request specific flights that are too full for Princess to obtain seats at the contracted fare.

Norm.
Old April 4th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the clarification. I have made a cruise deposit, but we don't have a brochure and this was my first attempt at using a deviation....so we are 'newbies' in this area :-)