Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2001, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori
Default Formal Nights

I am a first-time cruiser on the Dawn Princess leaving San Juan on the 7th of April. I found a beautiful, long formal gown just for my trip. But after reading the postings about formal night, I'm actually worried about being overdressed. Is there any chance of that?

Thanks in advance for your replys,
Lori
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2001, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Formal Nights

Hi Lori,
So far have gone on one Princess cruise and no, you will not be over-dressed, saw many women in long formal gowns on board Ocean last year. Go for it, you'll be just fine. Try to take some extra time and get a "formal" picture taken :-)

DOnnassei
Old April 1st, 2001, 05:33 PM
First Mate

Hi Lori...

From a guy's perspective, I totally agree with Donna... go for it! I love seeing all the lovely ladies dressed to the "nines." The formal nights are really neat and you will not be over-dressed in a long gown. The passengers on Princess seem to take the formal nights a little more seriously than some other lines.

Be sure the "ole man" is decked out in a tux to go along with your formal gown. If he does own one, no problem, you can rent them through Princess and they will deliver it to your room and pick it up when you leave. It cost about 90 bucks for all week with two formal shirts and all the accessories.

As Donna said... be sure to dress early and get to the portrait locations early. The posing is free. They will take two or three shots. After they print the portraits, you decide if you want to buy any of them. My wife and I have had the best photos made of us on board the cruises.

Have fun and post a picture of you and your gown.

Bob "MacTarheel"
<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.netunlimited.net/~mcnairb/loveboat2.mid" volume=-500>

Old April 3rd, 2001, 08:45 AM
cgb

Lori,

I'm with you!! I've bought 2 gowns for our cruise on the Golden Princess in December. From what I've read, looks like sequins to
"church" style dresses. I am looking forward to dressing up and spending a formal evening (or two) with my handsome husband.

Cindy
Old April 3rd, 2001, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Hi Cindy,
ARe you by chance cruising on Golden for New Years? We have a bunch of us from Cruisemates going on the net buddies cruise, it will be fantastic? Let me know if you will be among us??

<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/5863/happydays.mid" volume=-500>

Donnassei
Old April 4th, 2001, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Lori,

After seven cruises with Princess, I can assure you that there's no danger whatsoever of being "overdressed" on the formal nights. Since each seven-day cruise ordinarily has two formal nights, you might want to consider a couple different combinations of shawls or other accessories so that your outfit will look different if you have only one formal gown. Also, be sure to bring a cocktail dress for the semiformal evening in addition to the gown.

Your husband may wear a DARK -- and I empasize the word "dark" -- business suit on the formal nights if he does not own a tux. Additionally, he will need either a suit or a sport coat, dress slacks, and a tie for the semiformal night.

It's always a good idea to pack an extra semiformal outfit (basically, an extra dress shirt and an extra necktie for your husband and perhaps a different set of accessories for the cocktail dress) because there's sometimes an opportunity to attend a special event that requires semiformal attire.

Norm.
Old April 4th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Norm, they have done away with INFORMAL night on the Grand, so suspect that may follow through on the Golden. Although the pre-cruise packets did not contain this fact, it was printed and embossed in plastic in the large leather bound book in each cabin and repeated in the daily Patter. Formal nights on the Grand were now on Tuesday and Friday with a Sunday sailing, also the other 5 nights were Smart Casual dress. The mood seems to be that if you choose Personal Choice, the dress recommendation does not apply. However, we traditionalists disagree!
Bon Voyage
Old April 4th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Hi Nan,
I see you are back from "Grand", so how was it?? Do tell!

Donnassei
Old April 5th, 2001, 11:18 AM
cgb

Donna,

I was out yesterday and unable to answer you. Nope, we are sailing December 1st. I've read some posts from people that are sailing on New Years. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!!

Cindy
Old April 5th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Hi Cindy,
Thanks, I KNOW we will all have a wonderful time, we're cruising with the best bunch on the net.

<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/4549/im_so_excited.mid" volume=-500>
Old April 8th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Nanatravel,

There never was an "informal" night on any Princess ship -- only "formal" and "semiformal."

It also sounds like the dress codes need a bit of reinforcement....

Norm.