Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruise Insurance

Hey everybody!
I am trying to decide on which cruise insurance to buy. I am thinking about getting Access America instead of Princess' Love Boat Care. The cost is lower for the AA insurance. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about either one? How do they compare in coverage? Any help would be appreciated.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2001, 09:43 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Cruise Insurance

After a lot of shopping I bought Travelguard - http://www.travelguardins.com/
There a many providers out there....read the fine print and decide what policy is best for you.

One thing I would never do is buy insurance from the line....it does provide excellent coverage, but is outrageously priced; plus, if the line goes bankrupt (unlikely in Princess' case) you are out of luck.
Old April 5th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Steve S

Also have used Travel Guard the last 4 cruises. Had two TA's recommend Travel Guard. One TA I've used for several cruises dug into numerous cruise insurance and liked Travel Guard the best. So far, knock on wood, we have not had a claim.
Old April 8th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Bumble Bee,

I think that there's a third party -- an actual insurance company -- that actually underwrites Princess's Love Boat Care and Love Boat Care Gold. Princess merely acts as an agent for the underwriter (and, of course, receives a commission on each policy sold).

Norm.
Old April 8th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Pete,

If you are in reasonably good personal and financial health and don't expect to have to cancel your cruise at the last minute, there's no real reason to buy any cruise insurance at all. The key point to remember is that insurance companies are not in the business of losing money so the amount that you will pay in premiums over several cruises will exceed the payout from a likely claim. Thus, you will come out ahead in the long run if you "self-insure" -- that is, assume the risk on your own -- rather than paying an underwriter to assume the risk for you.

While the thought of assuming the risk on your own might sound make you gasp at first, the financial risk usually is not very great. In fact, it's realistically limited to the price of your cruise tickets if you cancel with no notice. If you book your own flights, you can change the tickets for a fee (usually $100 now) so the air fare tickets is not at risk. Princess's insurance also covers emergency medical treatment (up to $10,000) and medical evacuation (up to $25,000 for Love Boat Care or $50,000 for Love Boat Care Gold), but your regular health insurance probably would cover the cost of both emergency medical treatment, either aboard ship or ashore, and medical evacuation for any condition that would require it.

If you really feel as though you absolutely must have travel insurance, be sure to read the terms of the policy very carefully and to make sure that you understand what is and what is not covered before you sign up for the coverage. If a policy is significantly less expensive than Princess's Love Boat Care and Love Boat Care Gold packages, it probably does not provide equivalent coverage across the board.

Norm.
Old April 11th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Access America is good and used through AAA travel bureaus as well as American Express Travel agencies. Personally, I too find Travel Guard to offer equal if not better coverage (some points) at a lower cost because it is geared to your age. We are in two different age brackets. For our 13 day Europe cruise we saved at least $150 and for the 7 night Caribbean almost $100 on our policies. In Europe I did take ill and utilized the Medical services on board totaling almost $400 which has to be expenced on your Cruise card. You have to put the charges through your medical insurance company provider first for re-imbursment then through the Travel Insurance card for any balances. It was a lot of work with my own PPO medical coverage and the balance due was under a $100, so I decided it was not worth pursuing the balance with the travel insurance provider and you had a deadline for submitting the claim. I had the piece of mind that if I needed any area of the coverage that it was there. You can't put a price on that.
Bon voyage
Old April 13th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Edward Hoaglund

Selecting travel insurance is complicated. I've used Travel Insured International which is underwritten by Gulf Insurance Co (800-243-3174; www.travelinsured.com). The most important consideration for selecting travel insurance is whether or not you have a pre-existing medical condition, as cardiovascualar or diabetic problems. Cruise lines do not typically cover pre-existing conditions and you need to get outside insurance in such a case. Incidentally, if you do get outside insurance, they will usually only cover a pre-existing medical condition if you buy the insurance at or close to the time of booking the cruise, say within two weeks. In any event, I suspect that submitting a claim is not easy. Fortunately I haven't needed to test it out. By the way, whether or not your own medical insurance will cover a portion of expenses outside of the country needs to be explored . Bon voyage!