Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default ship movement in June

Hi everyone,

I first cruised with RCI in Jan of '95 inside cabin out of miami. We are now thinking of sailing the Grand in June of this year outside cabin with balcony. My question is

1. I experienced a lot of movement on the first cruise out of Miami and wasn't too comfortable (its a control thing) How is the movement in the Western caribbean in June.
2. Is it true that you dont get sea legs your second time around

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Lynda

Default Re: ship movement in June

June is a more calm month in the seas, during July and so on, it
could get a little rought if hurricanes are at sea.

It is not true, that the second time around on a cruise that you
won't get sea legs. I have been on over 20 cruises, and still get sea legs on some cruises. It all depends upon how sensitive you are and upon the waves of the seas.
Old April 7th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Hi Mary....We are sailing on the Grand May 20th and have been on several RCCL ships. We have always taken an outside dabin with balcony and just love it and have never noticed that much more rocking and I am so so sensitive to any type of movement. I even get sick sometimes riding in different cars and buses, especially if the ride is a bit bumpy.

However, I have found something that really works, at least for me. If may not work for you, but if you haven't tried this already, it might be worth checking out. On the last 4 cruises we've taken, I have put on these wrist bands that have a little pressure point button attached to them. I got mine at the travel agency, even thought they ususally have them on the ship too. Since I have put these on, I have never been sick or had any motion problem at all. I guess the pressure button sends some signal from your wrist to the brain, or something like that. In any event, it might be worth a try. All I know is that, while others get motion sickness, I'm just strolling around without a care in the world.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old April 8th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Mary,

I spent twelve days aboard MV Grand Princess in the Mediterranean and did not feel any movement at all. It takes an awful lot to rock 109,000 tons of steel equipped with dynamic stabilizers!

I would not worry about sea sickness aboard MV Grand Princess, especially in the calm waters of the Caribbean. Just eat something before the ship gets underway. If you start to feel queazy, go to bed and sleep it off. When you wake up, you will be fine.

A couple posts in this thread seem to reflect a misconception of the notion of "sea legs." The term "sea legs" refers simply to getting accustomed to walking around and maintaining balance on a ship that's moving (rolling and pitching) with the sea. If you have sea legs, you don't have to hold onto something (a rail, etc.) to maintain your balance while walking or standing on deck.

Norm.
Old April 11th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Admiral

We returned from the Grand Eastern Caribbean on 3/25. Of our 9 cruises this was the largest ship and the most rocky voyage of them all! Yes, many women in particular really felt the motion. Seas were approximately 8 ft. with white caps, especially while in the Atlantic on at sea days. I was "almost" at the point of putting on the "Sea bands" that were mentioned. They are a good $5 investment to carry with you and can be purchased at Walmart, or any drug store. Even for the Western Caribbean itinerary (which I have done twice out of Ft. Lauderdale), you will have to leave the Atlantic. It is better to be prepared for temporary inconvenience than forego the trip. The Grand is a beautiful ship nd I recommend you try it. There are plenty of choices for lounging, entertainment, dining or just relaxing. Oh, I did have sea legs for almost a week after we returned. I caught a head cold after we returned and thought my whole equilibrium system was thrown off. All is fine now.

Bon Voyage
Old April 20th, 2001, 10:14 PM
Lady Jag

Don't know if I was half dead from those tight Sea Bands or what, but anytime I wore them to bed, I slept SOOOOO good!! I'm talking really restful, deep sleeping and I didn't even drink any alcohol, so it wasn't that!

The Sea Bands are available at most drug stores. They are about $6-$7 and come in a small, (white background), box and are usually up on the highest shelf. Ask a pharmacist if you can't find them. They are easily missed, but are worth spending the time to find them.