Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2001, 03:33 PM
First Mate

Default Voyage of the glaciers

Our family is taking the voyage of the glaciers cruise in early June and opted for
the grandview rail transfer from Seward to Anchorage at the end of our cruise,
I would like to hear from people who have taken this transfer to Anchorage. What
was it like?
Also, another question: At the airport in Vancouver we have heard there is a long
walk from where you get off the plane to immigration. Both our parents are in
their late 70's and am wondering if it is a really long distance, if there is a tram
available?
We are all looking forward to this trip!
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Shar

Default Re: Voyage of the glaciers

Hi Sharon!
I'm also anxious to find out more on the Grandview. Unfortunately (to the best of my understanding), it hasn't been available before and won't be available until Princess starts their Alaskan cruises in May. We'll have to be patient :o)

Is there anyone out there who knows the departure and arrival times between Anchorage and Seward for the Grandview train? I'm guessing it leaves Anchorage around 1pm and I know it's supposed to take 5 hours. (That means it probably leaves Seward around 7 or 8 pm - maybe??)

Regarding Vancouver - you might want to do a search for the airport and find a phone number to call for passenger services.
Last time we were there, it was a reeeal long walk. I'm sure they must have electric carts or some other form of transport available. Happy cruising!
Shar
Old April 10th, 2001, 02:41 PM
First Mate

Shar,
Yes, they have us scheduled to disembark at 7am to catch the Grandview train
to Anchorage.
This is our first trip to Alaska and I am so excited!
Old April 10th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Shar

Oh! I see!! So the train must come the night before and wait for the in-bound ship. Take you to Anchorage (ETA around 1pm) transfer you to the airport or a tour. Meanwhile, the outbound gang from the airport is loading onto the train. Gee, I sure hope we get to the ship by 6pm - but it doesn't sound likely.
The rail trip along the Kenai Penninsula is supposed to be one of the most scenic on the continent. You'll love it!
Shar
Old April 12th, 2001, 10:30 PM
Carole Dunham

I haven't taken this train transfer but will the next time I'm in Alaska. I've read that it's totally spectacular, more mountains and glaciers. You don't get that on the bus transfer although it's a pretty ride. Have a wonderful cruise. I've cruised Alaska 7 times and have at least 3 more cruises in me before I move on to other itineraries.

Carole
Old April 14th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Sharon,

The rail transfer is indeed a new option this year. Thus, nobody can comment on it from personal experience. Please let us know how you like it when you return!

Norm.
Old April 18th, 2001, 12:13 PM
eeinusa

Does anyone know if the rail transfer option is going to be available from Anchorage to Seward? We're taking the southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver and one of the things we were planning on doing on our own while in Anchorage was to take the train to Seward for a day trip since we had heard the views were spectacular and better than driving the same route. If the option is available from Anchorage to Seward, thev we can do something else on our own.
Old April 18th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Shar

Hi EE!
The rail transfer option is available both directions. In the case of Anchorage to Seward, it's only available on the day you are boarding the ship. We'll be taking it in September and tried to get it 3 days earlier (since we'll be flying in 3 days earlier...go figure..). We were told that this is a special train (not the normally scheduled Alaskan RR time table and you have to have your transfer ticket to get on board. We are flying in to Anchorage on Sept 5th and getting a rental car to spend 3 days in the Kenai penninsula - which means driving down to Seward and returning on Sept 8th to the airport in Anchorage to get transferred to the train. I hope I'm being clear. I just wanted to go to Seward and the penninsula so much, that I felt the extra mileage was worth it. And then we'll get treated like royalty, arriving on the train, instead of the bus!!!
E-mail me if you have any questions or if I've thoroughly confused you!! There are other options.
Shar
Old April 19th, 2001, 10:50 AM
eeinusa

Shar - thanks much -- you did not confuse me in the least. I'm anxiously awaiting our cruise documents so perhaps there will be more details there. Our CruiseTour starts on June 10 and returns to Anchorage and goes to Seward from there for the June 16 cruise... so we will be transfering from the Cook Hotel rather than the Airport. Still we are on a Princess CruiseTour, so I hope they give us that option... I'd be willing to upgrade to that transfer if necessary as I understand the train ride is much better than the drive (which itself is spectacular).

Enjoy your time in Alaska in September -- we're flying in three days early as well to do some stuff on our own and I am fast running out of time to do everything I want, so I know we're going to have to go back.
Old April 19th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Shar

I want you to know that it's "real tough duty" planning on going back. :o) We are actually talking about buying a retirement home in Seward. The roads we traveled in our rental car were all much better than those we deal with in eastern California and the scenery is breath-taking every where you look. Be sure to check out the Wild Animal Park along the Seward Hwy near Portage Glacier. It's kind of hokey, but you get to go nose-to-nose with the animals.
I got to hand feed the momma moose (totally ignoring the KEEP
AWAY signs) Boy! Are they BIG!! I even took some real impressive pictures with my fixed lens camera. Everyone was real impressed that I could get so close. The only animal that made me nervous was a musk ox who decided to come and check me out...
Old April 20th, 2001, 04:52 PM
eeinusa

The animal park is on the agenda unless something more exciting comes up -- we recently invested in a camcorder and I have been having fun making still photos from the close-ups my husband has been videotaping -- it's amazing how close you can get with today's technology.