Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Yeoman

Default Ocean Princess Cabin Nightmare

Anyone going on Princess beware. We had booked 2 balcony rooms back in December. All paid for with receipts, tickets & specific cabins chosen. When we boarded last Sunday in San Juan, we were informed that we had been downgraded 20 CATEGORIES to a window rooms in the BOW! We were fed numerous lies from the ships staff. And even after our travel agent faxed documents directly to the ship proving we had these 2 balcony cabins, they refused to give us our rooms. It is now 10 days later and Princess will still not give us a straight answer. I was sick every night in the bow.
BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2001, 03:31 PM
BillG

Default Re: Ocean Princess Cabin Nightmare

Unless you were booked in a suite, which is not what your posting indicates, a 20 category downgrade would have put you in an inside, not an outside, cabin. Perhaps the 20 category reference was a bit of an exaggeration. However, you do not indicate what explanation (or as you refer to them, lies) the ship's officials gave you for the room and category change. Any unexpected change in rooms of course can be unpleasant, especially if it is to a lower category room, or even, in some instance to a higher category in a less favorable location. However, I don't believe that Princess, or any line for that matter, routinely makes these types of changes. I sympathize with your unfortunate experience, but I don't think readers of your post should expect to undergo a similar situation. Please give us more details, and follow through with both your travel agent and the cruiseline for some sort of resolution of this situation.
Old April 19th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Carole Dunham

I've sailed Princess 13 times and will be taking my 14th this fall. the only cabin change Princess ever gave me was an upgrade once, many years ago.

Carole
Old April 19th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Did your cruise documents have cabins #s listed? This seems like a MOST unusual occurance, and I'd sure like to hear the whole story.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old April 19th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Linda,
It sounds to me like may-be you booked a guarantee cabin?? Seems something is missing to this nightmare?? Better luck on the next cruise, hope you were still able to enjoy the rest of the cruise expierence??

Donnassei
Old April 19th, 2001, 10:51 PM
sandymc47

WE WILL SAIL ON THE GRAND PRINCESS FOR THE 3RD TIME IN MAY,,,,,2 TIMES PRINCESS HAS UPGRADED US AT LEAST 5 CATAGORIES. SO FAR , I BELIEVE THEY TREAT THEIR CAPT. CLUB REALLY WELL.
Old April 19th, 2001, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Linda,

I have never heard of such a happening, and I have sailed quite a few times with Princess.

As several of the other posters have indicated, your post leaves a few unanswered questions. For starters:

>> 1. Did your cabin number appear on your cruise ticket?

>> 2. What explanation did the ship give you for the change?

>> 3. Is your travel agent contacting Princess on your behalf?

If your travel agent booked the trip correctly (that is, really booked you were told), your travel agent should act on your behalf to rectify the situation. At a minimum, you should at least receive either a refund of the difference in the published fares between the two categories or a certificate for a significant discount on your next cruise.

I can't make accusations without evidence, but I have heard of a few unscrupulous travel agents who have misrepresented various bookings to their clients -- details like the fact that "Obstructed View" in an outside cabin really does mean TOTALLY obstructed (probably by a lifeboat) and like the fact that a "nearly certain" upgrade is a crapshoot at best.

If your travel agent does not seem to be acting very earnestly on your behal, the first step is to verify the cabin information printed on your cruise ticket against the ship's deck plans printed in the brochure for your cruise. If that checks out, you can write to Princess directly to ask for compensation.

Norm.
Old April 20th, 2001, 12:04 AM
First Mate

I won't call you a liar, but something is wrong with your story! As pointed out, the math doesn't add up....perhaps you have been mislead. I have never head of anything even close to what you describe happening to others. There are rare instances where people are asked to accept a 1-2 cat downgrade, and they are more than generously compensated for agreeing. I just found out I received a six cat. upgrade for the Ocean Princess, 4/29.
Old April 20th, 2001, 07:41 AM
First Mate

Methinks that either <u>THIS</u> Linda's (---.rasserver.net) reality check may have bounced.... or whoever posted this message is getting exactly the response he/she wanted.

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old April 20th, 2001, 08:29 AM
First Mate

Assuming what you say is true (and I can't figure out why anyone would make up something like this) and that 20 cats. is an exageration, I am sad for you. I can't imagine how you felt when you embarked - what happened would definitely ruin anyone's cruise no matter how much they tried to 'take it in stride'.

Obviously, someone screwed up big time! I may be wrong, but I suspect it was your TA.

When one books and makes a deposit, a Booking Confirmation sheet (with Passenger Copy) is sent to the TA. If you don't already have a copy, GET IT! This will tell you if the proper specific stateroom (or cat. guarantee) was booked in the first place. It is conceivable that Princess made a mistake at the very beginning, however, even if they did, your TA should have caught and rectified it at that time.

Specifically - What room did you originally book? What did you end up with?
Old April 20th, 2001, 10:21 AM
First Mate

Seems Linda has moved on....Happy Trails!!! I have never heard this happen to anyone in my years of service. I have heard of Princess making an offer to clients that would give them a ship credit or money back in return for a down grade cabin. Only if client agreed to this. And blaming the TA without any facts is not right. Im not saying that the TA was not a fault...Just that we only have one side of the story. And Im sure thats all we are going to get.

Michael