Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Passenger

Default Personal Choice on Princess

We're going to give Personal Choice a try on our upcoming 10-day Ocean Princess cruise. However, I'm still a little fuzzy on the "rules" of this program. I was told by our TA that we can dine anytime between 6-10 pm for dinner, for example. So this is for the regular dining room? Is there a surcharge? Are there any restaurants for which there is a surcharge? Also, I understand the waiter/busboy tips are automatically added to the account. OK on that.

Has anyone tried this program? I would love to hear first hand comments about it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2001, 09:55 AM
re

Default Re: Personal Choice on Princess

Joy,
We used Personal Choice on the Grand in Feb. We enjoyed it very much, you dine when and were you want. Tips are automatically charged to your on board account regardless of what dining option you choose. Only Sabitini"s has a surcharge($20-pp), you need to make reservations for this option asap once on board, as this is a popular choice.
Please let me know if you have any other ?
Have a great cruise!
Old April 21st, 2001, 01:47 PM
Carole Dunham

I didn't think Personal Choice kicked in on the Sun class ships until Alaska this summer. In fact I remember reading where Princess will be offering some short 3 and 4 day cruises on the west coast just to introduce it. Am I dreaming?

Carole
Old April 21st, 2001, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Joy,

According to Princess's announcement, one of the main dining rooms on the MV Sun Princess class of vessels will retain the traditional dining arrangement and the other will shift to open seating for "personal choice" dining. In addition to the main dining rooms, these vessels also offer the following alternative restaurants:

>> An "al fresco" steak house at the outdoor grill on the balcony of the Lido Deck overlooking the main pool area, which currently is the only alternative restaurant with a surchage,

>> The pizzeria at the top of the atrium on the Dolphin Deck (the pizza really is excellent!), which opened for the evening at 9:00 PM previously but might open earlier under the new arrangement, and

>> The Horizon Court, which has a buffet during the early part of the evening and a bistro in the later part of the evening.

It remains to be seen how the "personal choice" arrangement will work out on these vessels. The original plan for MV Grand Princess was to retain one dining room for the traditional dining and convert two dining rooms to open seating, but about 2/3 of the passengers have requested the traditional arrangement so in fact the reverse has occurred. With only two main dining rooms, accommodating 2/3 of the passengers in the traditional arrangement could be a challenge unless one of the dining rooms is divided (partly traditional and partly personal choice). I'm sure that the staff will work it out one way or another.

Enjoy your cruise!

Norm.
Old April 21st, 2001, 03:58 PM
Passenger

You may be right. Our cruise is booked for Spring Break, 2002.
Old April 21st, 2001, 05:23 PM
Admiral

wIf you have questions about Princess's "personal choices" dining, want a preview of the new Golden Princess, join our special chat guest, Dean Brown, Executive VP of Princess. Join him Monday, April 23, 9:00 p.m. ET
in CruiseMates chat room.

Anne Campbell
Editor, CruiseMates.com