Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Liquor on board?

We are going on our first Princess cruise-the Grand on 5/6. We were wondering if it is OK to bring liquor on board? Carnival specifially states it is not allowed. Also, we are going on the 3-man submarine on Grand Cayman, down 800 feet along the Cayman wall and were wondering if anyone else has done this and what your thoughts are.
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Liquor on board?

Yes you can bring liquor, wine, soda, etc. on board. Recommend wrapping it in plastic and between clothes and carrying it in your carry on versus checked luggage. For the Grand, you could take a taxi to Publix or Winn Dixie to pick up what you may need. Although there is a small kiosk in the pier terminal but it did not seem to carry too many brands and types of Liquor. Didn't see wines and know there is no soda to purchase. If you arrive a day early and stay near 17th St. there is an Eckerds Drug which also may have what you want in a plaza not far from Embassy Suites.

In Grand Cayman, we have done the Atlantis larger (30 people) submarine dive down more the 100 ft. against the wall. It was fabulous to see scuba divers, fish and fauna right in front of you. And Grand Cayman is the best place to do this type of dive after the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. But, the number #1 tour on GC, is the swim with the Sting Rays adventure. See if you can time both of them in. Seven Mile Beach is also beautiful if you can't do both of the above. There is limited shopping.
Bon Voyage
Old April 24th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the information. You are right...the Stingrays are great (we've done that in a previous cruse). However, we haven't been to 7 mile beach, so thanks for the suggestions...we'll probably take up your recommendation!
Old April 24th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Mark D.

Hi Pam,

If you read my review about the Grand, its on the second page of these boards, I have a section in there where I explain how and what we brought on board with us.
Oh and listen to NanaTravel, she has alot of good advice to give, she has helped me greatly while I was preparing for my trip.

There is another message board that is good as well www.cruisecritic.com give them a try.

If you have any other questions about the grand just ask away.

Hope this has helped,

Mark D.
Old April 24th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Passenger

pam,

we are also going on the grand on 5/6, we can't wait. thought it would never get here. we are getting in on sat. so we will have time to get some things to bring on board. i get upset after paying for sodas for a week!! i wish they would raise the price of the cruise by a few dollars and give sodas away. hope you have a great cruise.!!!!!!!

sean
Old April 24th, 2001, 09:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Mark--after I asked my question I saw your review....question answered!! One other question I thought of; usually we have a mid-ship cabin. On the Grand we will be near the front of the ship on the Baja deck. I'm wondering if we'll feel any motion if the seas get too rough.
Old April 25th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Mark D.

Default Responce to motion question

I have to be honest, before I left I was bragging about the stabilizers and how calm it is. The first night we left later then expected, waiting for a group to get in from the airport. The Commodore really punched it getting out and getting through the channels and out to sea was during our first dinner on the Grand. I was OK with it and I didnt hear about anybody getting sick. There was some shaking, like going down a dirt road fast, but when we woke the next morning my buddy called me and asked why we stopped. Being that I was already up and eating breakfast on the balcony I told him that in fact we hadn't stopped. We had great seas and didnt notice the ships movement much after that until the last full day at sea, on the Eastern Caribbean, heading to the Princess Cays when again the Commodore had it floored to get back north and through the Gulf Stream. You really dont feal the side to side rocking at all but you will feel the front of the ship rising and dipping again. If you haven't been on a ship before you will be amazed how your body adjusts to this movement. I walked the ship often and spent alot of time on the promenade deck at the front of the ship. I have to tell you that I didnt feel any more movement there then I did anywhere else around the ship.
Dont let this scare you in any way I just dont want you to think there will be no movement. It seemed to be the worst at about 9:00PM I think that is when they pick up speed for the overnight. We never woke from the motion and like I said in the morning it really felt like we had stopped.

You will have a great time on the Grand, she is a beautiful ship and there is alot of things to do. You have to at least once get to the front of the Promenade deck to get a view from the furthest point forward on the ship.

Hope this has helped,

Mark D.
Old April 26th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Responce to motion question

Thanks Mark, but as you know we sailed mid-March on the Grand and like you the master really had the peddle to the metal even on days at sea. Many of us on Monday & Tuesday commented on the rocking side to side and the white caps and swells of the sea. Since the Grand was the largest ship I have been on, I was surprised at how much motion I felt. I was very close to putting on the Sea Bands. For some reason, the motion seemed to bother women more than men. Although when we were disembarking, a gentleman who had cruised much more than we, mentioned that he had been seasick earlier in the week and he was still wearing the patch. On our journey, we didn't have the usual pitch & roll. Also, our cabin was A234, up towards the bow and high on deck 12. I don't believe this is why I felt the motion, because it was very evident even in the dining room on deck 6 Davinci. Our location was perfect, one deck up to the pool and spa, walked aft to the adult pool area or took the elevator down to the Public rooms. It was great.

Planning is half of the fun. Stop in Walmart or your favorite pharmacy for Sea Bands and Bonine if you have any concerns. My other travelers hint is buy Earplanes to help with ear pain from flying. I have terrible sinuses and those help reduce the pain and irritation from the dry air on a plane, again a $5 item.
Bon Voyage
Old April 28th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Richdives

Default Re: Responce to motion question

Hello,

I am new to message boards and have a silly question. You mention that you posted on the second page of these boards, but I am unclear as to how to get to that page.

What am i missing?

Thanks for the help