Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Carole Dunham

Default New England/Canada

I'm a great believer in making the pre and post cruise part of my trip very special. My friend Susie and I will be sailing that Grand old girl Royal Princess on a New England/Canada cruise. Our pre-cruise hotel in New York is the Mayflower with a park view room. We got a special promotional rate, only $199 per night which for a New York park view room is a bargain. Our Montreal hotel is Auberge du Vieux Port, rated by the NYTimes as one of the three best hotels in Canada. Have never seen it, just photos. Very modern hotel in an early 18th century building in Old Montreal. Part of the excitement for the pre-cruise is yesterday I managed to get tickets for "The Producers," the Mel Brooks smash hit musical. In 5 days it has almost caught up with ticket sales for "The Lion King," which has been playing for 3 YEARS! Nothing like seeing a smash Broadway musical with the original cast, in this case Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. "The Producers" was created by Mel Brooks from his movie, a totally inspired piece of lunacy. The review say the musical is better than the movie and yes, Mel Brooks wrote the music too. How can the author of "Springtime for Hitler" miss.

Carole
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: New England/Canada

Congatulations on scoring fabulous tickets. While in New York, you will enjoy staying at the Mayflower. The park view rooms are fabulous, and quite often they will upgrade you to a small suite (2 rooms) for no additional charge. There is one on the 7th floor with two bathrooms - which works well with the small NY bathrooms. The Mayflower is located one block off of Broadway and Lincoln Center. I highly recommend walking up to 68th and Broadway for Chinese food at Ollies. That location is one of my favorites! It is located just across from the Sony theatres and next to the Pottery Barn flagship store - great window shopping. There is also an Ollies located in the theatre district at 44th and Broadway, but I like the uptown atmosphere much more.

I can't tell you much more about the balance of your journey, but enjoy your pre-crusie excursions in NY.

Cheryl
Old April 27th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Carol, that sounds fabulous. Great planning and luck on your part. That NYC rate is very good for that location. Another treat in NYC is to take a "handsome cab" through Central Park. Do the longer ride on the horse drawn carriage if you can afford it as it is only a few $$ more and very enjoyable. The horse drawn carriage through Central Park has been a NYC experience for centuries. If you stop in Boston, a Trolley Tour is the best way to see it all! Even I take one when company comes to the area. You can do this on your own, too. A stop at Fanuel Hall is a must just for the ambience. Walk through the Common and the Public Garden. Be sure to skip the Hampshire House on Arlington St. (Cheers) as you can ride by on the Trolley. A stroll on Newbury Street is good for the shopping urge but you are best to just do window shopping. If time allows, take the elevator to the Top of the Hub at the Prudential Building for a view of the area. For Newport, take a Mansion Tour, and Maine, visiting the many Lighthouse, Bar Harbor and the many quaint fishing areas is nice and relaxing. Best bet would be a tour unless you enjoy the adventure of driving along the coast. In Halifax, don't miss Peggy's Cove. When are your cruising? If you need any additional local New England hints, please don't hesitate to ask.
Bon Voyage
Old April 28th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Cheryl. I know New York very well. I used to live there and love the city very much. I love the area the Mayflower is in. I get the NYTimes on Sunday and their ad talked about special rates. It's the first time in ages I didn't use the Internet to geet my hotel reservations. On the west side I like Shun Lee West for Chinese. I love the dragon that wraps around the room. I also love Cafe Fiorello across the street from Lincoln Center for brunch. Hoping to score dinneer at Babbo. With the way our luckis running, I should be able to do that. If not, Union Pacific will do very well.

Carole