Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Formal night attire

We are going on the Grand this Sunday and I get different answers each time I check with Princess. Do you really have to wear a suit and tie on formal night or will I be ok with nice slacks and nice shirt (I deffinitely would never wear shorts or jeans even on casual nights).

Any insights would be appreciated.

Barry
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal night attire

Its me again Barry. Now I may get hung for this one, but Formal night is part of a wonderful cruise experience. People being dressed up creates a beautiful atmosphere which is a very nice part of the cruising experience. Please wear your suit and tie and try to keep it on for the evening, both Tuesday and Friday, too. You can wear "just a shirt and slacks" any day of the week any where. Have a wonderful experience and lift a glass to all of us cruise addicts and net cruise buddies.
Bon Voyage
Old April 27th, 2001, 10:09 AM
First Mate

I totally agree with Nanatravel. It's only a couple of nights and it really makes the evening special with everyone "dressed" for dinner. After several years of wearing a dark suit, then renting a tux, I finally caved in and bought a tux. It's kinda fun "acting" like I'm someone important, plus the cummerbund is a great crumb catcher. <he,he,he>

Also, another advantage of dressing up, it is a wonderful opportunity to have your photo portrait made with your significant other.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old April 27th, 2001, 10:23 AM
First Mate

Choice.....Seems to be the word these days. So if you would like to have dinner in the dining room then a dark suit is needed. If you would like casual then you can dine in Horizon Court (Bistro) I have to say dressing up is not one thing I get into. And Im not going to have people tell me what to wear when a cruiseline tells me different. If you want to be casual....You have choices. People need to think about others...Many of us are dressed up all week and we dont want to dress up on OUR Vacations! People may dissagree with me on this thats ok. Thats why we have these boards...to have an open chat. =)
Michael
Old April 27th, 2001, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Everyone,
My comments were not meant for Bob...But after reading my post it looks that way. After reading Nanatravel....thats what got me going. My comments are not directed to anyone but just to make give another point of view.
Sorry for this BOB =)

Michael
Old April 27th, 2001, 10:03 PM
Lynda

This is sure a touchy subject...as many have different opinions,
but I will express mine and contribute to the board here.

I enjoy getting dressed up each evening, as I have not worked in
over 12 years (I am 38 and been on over 29 cruises)and I sit in
the house each day. So to me, it is pleasureable and nice to
be "dressed up." My husband dresses each day six days a week
and his idea of a vacation is to be relaxed and comfortable. On
formal evenings he does wear a dark suit but changes into docker pants and a short sleeve collared shirt right after dinner.

On the past few cruises, I have noticed men not even wearing a jacket....not many but some. I have noticed men wearing light colored suits and pants with sport jackets....so I guess you can say its ones choice. On European cruises, people tend to dress much more formal on such evenings. During the summer on caribbean cruises people are more informal on formal evenings.
One does not see many men in tux's unless you cruise on the more upper cruise lines such as Seaborne cruises or the Sea Goddess....

I also noticed on the many cruises I have taken, the first formal evening is more dressier than the second.

My son also doesn't feel comfortable to dress in a suit (he is soon 12) and I don't want to buy a suit for him to wear twice in one week then put it in his closet and find it next year small on him....so what I do, is buy him a black pair of docker pants and he will wear a long sleeve dress shirt with a tie. Both father and son after formal dinner changes into casual clothing.

As you can see, everybody is different.....but my suggestion is that you probably don't want to feel "out of place" so I would take along some kind of a jacket, dress shirt and a couple of ties if you do not want to bring along a suit. You can change after dinner....
Old April 29th, 2001, 01:23 PM
mcathy

I have never been on cruise, my first is in Oct on the Golden Princess. But I am looking forward to getting all dressed up for just two nights. My husband is not thrill about the Tux but I told him that it would be a wonderful anniversary present for me. He agreed reluctantly. You're right, it is your vacation and people have the right to be comfortable. Just thought I would add my two cents.
Old May 4th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Nanatravel,

I agree completely! There's something wonderfully classy about formal nights when EVERYBODY is dressed for the occasion!

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Michael,

You do have choices. You CAN book a cruise on a line that does not hold formal nights, like NCL.

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Admiral

mcathy,

Tell you what. Be sure to wear the sassiest undergarments that you can find on both formal nights. After the show, lead your husband out on deck for a romantic stroll and tell him -- in your most alluring voice, of course -- how sexy he looks in a tux on your way back to the cabin for -- ah, this is a family web site, so let's call it "intimate marital activity" (you do know what I mean, don't you?). While you're at it, do likewise on the semiformal night, too. If you pull this off reasonably smoothly, your husband will have objected to dressing up for dinner for the last time!

Norm.
Old May 19th, 2001, 12:17 AM
mcathy

Norm, Again thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try it. Maybe I can still turn the old fellows head a bit.