Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Happy2cruise

Default Formal/Semi-formal nights

I read somewhere that Princess maybe dropping one of the formal nights and the semi formal night. Except for the one formal night, all the rest will be smart casual. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Formal/Semi-formal nights

Happy2cruise wrote:
>
> I read somewhere that Princess maybe dropping one of the
> formal nights and the semi formal night. Except for the one
> formal night, all the rest will be smart casual. Does anyone
> know if this is true or not?

Hi Happy,
I also heard they were dropping one of them, but don't recall exactly which one. If you have a cruise coming up, be sure to check all your material that comes with the docs, it should tell you all that information. On our last cruise on Explorer we only had 2 formals and 1 smart casual and the rest were casual. Enjoy your cruise on Princess.

Donnassei
Old April 30th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Admiral

On the Grand Princess this season, they had changed to 2 formal nights (Tuesday & Friday) and 5 Smart Casual nights with one of those the Tropical Night. They did away with the Informal night. I do not know if this will be changed system wide in the near future. Also, it was not printed in any pre-cruise information including the Questions & Answers information, but was preprinted in the bound information in the stateroom once on board. Even calls to Princess Customer Service did not get the definititve answer correct.
Old April 30th, 2001, 11:47 PM
Elhare

Just returned from a 15 day FLL to San Diego on the Sea Princess.
There were 4 formal nights, 4 Semiformal and 7 casual. This is exactly what it says on my cruise documents for "Evening Attire Guidelines". From my observation the formal nights are set up so passengers can have their pictures taken in any one of four places and, not incidently, provides the ship with quite a bit of added revenue. I doubt if they will give up that added revenue.
Old April 30th, 2001, 11:50 PM
Elhare

Just returned from a 15 day FLL to San Diego on the Sea Princess.
There were 4 formal nights, 4 Semiformal and 7 casual. This is exactly what it says on my cruise documents for "Evening Attire Guidelines". From my observation the formal nights are set up so passengers can have their pictures taken in any one of four places and, not incidently, provides the ship with quite a bit of added revenue. I doubt if they will give up that added revenue.
Old May 4th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Happy2Cruise,

There was some confusion about this because Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) changed their formal nights to "formal optional" nights in conjunction with their "freestyle dining" program (which is similar to the open seating arrangement of Princess's "Personal Choice Dining" program).

Being a "premium" line rather than a "mainstream" line, however, Princess has stated that the company has no intention of discontinuing the formal nights (which, BTW, seem to be very popular with the overwhelming majority of the passengers). I understand (from this board) that MV Grand Princess had dropped the semiformal night, at least on an experimental basis, but so far there's no indication that other ships converting to "Personal Choice Dining" are doing likewise. It's always a good idea to bring along an (extra) set of semiformal clothes anyway, as I have been on a couple cruises where there were opportunities to participate in special events if one had done so. In addition, an invitiation to dine at the captain's table requires semiformal attire on otherwise casual nights.

I have also been on a couple cruises in which one of the semiformal nights got upgraded to an additional formal night. If you are taking a cruise that's longer than seven days, be prepared for a third formal night in place of one of the semiformal nights.

Norm.