Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2001, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Default P.A.D.I On Princess

We will be on the Dawn Princess in Feb and would love to do their learning to dive program and be able to get our P.A.D.I certificate, has anyone done this, if so what was it like, how much time out of each day did it take up, any information would be great thank you.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2001, 08:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: P.A.D.I On Princess

Hi Debbie...

Yes, Princess does have the PADI Open Water Scuba certification program on board. However, I would strongly recommend that you take the course in your hometown. The course is pretty intense and will take away a lot of your vacation time on the ship. You have classroom training as well as in the pool training. It also requires some studying away from class and you have written test to complete and pass.

You can take all the class work and pool work at home. If it is too cold or inconvenient to do the four open water dives (on two different days) at home, you could do them on the cruise. Once you complete the course at home, the instructor gives you a <u>PADI Open Water Referral</u> take with you to do the open water dives during your cruise. That's what I did when I got my certification several years ago. I completed two open water dives in St. Maarten and two in Martinique. What a fabulous way to begin your diving experience!

A few years later, I took the PADI Scuba Refesher Course on the Sun Princess. The instructors were excellent and the dives were exceptional!

Good luck... and alway remember the number one rule of scuba diving... never, ever hold your breath.

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old May 8th, 2001, 11:01 PM
Katherine

Default Re: P.A.D.I On Princess

Yes, we did it on Dawn 2 years ago. It was fantastic. We did get material ahead of time and had to actually study for it the weeks before we got there. Then, we had a short class, a couple of fun swims in the pool, and I think 3 dives. Pretty much, the dives will take up your shore excursions for the week but it was fantastic since we were in the So. Carib and places like St. Lucia are unbeatable for dives. The instructors on Dawn were really nice and very professional.

BTW, for some of the dives, we had to do drills like use a compass watch to swim back to the boat.

And also always remember the number 2 and 3 rules of diving: never dive alone and never dive drunk.

Katherine