Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2001, 06:17 AM
First Mate

Default No more music from me

I will no longer be including background music in my messages. Although I have received many positive responses both publicly and privately; apparently, a few have complained to the CruiseMates, Inc. management that the music is annoying them. Unfortunately, they did not contact me directly with their concerns or I could have resolved this without a third party. Specifically, I was asked to keep the music "at a barely perceptable (sic) level." I can see no point of including it at all if you can barely hear it? So, I will discontinue it totally.

Should any of you who are bothered by the music on any of my prior postings, please follow <u>either</u> of these simple instructions to avoid listening the music:

1. Do NOT read any message that shows my name MacTarheel as the <u>Author</u>.
2. If you still want to read my message, then click once on the little speaker icon on the lower right and click <u>MUTE</u>. This will shut off your speakers and the music.

I apologize to those few whom I have annoyed. To all the rest who enjoyed the music, I'm sorry that I have to stop.

Should you have any questions or comments, please direct them to Paul Motter, <paulmotter@cruisemates.com> CEO, CruiseMates, Inc.

Bob "MacTarheel"
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: No more music from me

I am so sorry I have enjoyed your music and your cheery wit. You have given me alot of wonderful tips on cruising for my first time. Very informative! Bless you Bob
Old May 10th, 2001, 08:39 AM
KarenJ

AWWW I enjoy your posts and enjoyed the music too!
Why in the world couldn't "THEY" just turn down their volume
if they didn't want to listen to the music? Did the powers
that be tell you you couldn't include music anymore?
If not, why change? Lol, you could always put contains music
in the header!

kj
Old May 10th, 2001, 08:51 AM
First Mate

I thought the music added a unique touch. Some folks just
aren't happy unless they can complain about something. And
if they can't find something to complain about it, they will hunt
for it. I thoroughly enjoy your posts, and appreciate all the
information I have acquired reading them.
Old May 10th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Hi Bob....I am sorry to hear that you have to stop including your music with your psotings. It added a bit of class to the site.

It always amazes me how some narrow minded, miserable people in general can act. Some people just want to complain about everybody and everything. they can't stand it if someone is a success or is having a good time. These are the people that shouldn't read your postings if a bit of background music is such a big deal. With so many problems in this world, hard to believe that background music takes center stage in their life.

In any event, keep up the great reviews because your comments have been very helpful.

Dave
Old May 10th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Shellie

What a dissappointment! Please keep up all your wonderful posts - all you advice has been a tremendous help to many of us "new" posters. Some people just obviously don't know how to use their computers. And what cowards not to tell you directly or ask for advice on how to mute the music.

Keep up the wonderful posts!
Old May 10th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Barbara Butler

I so sorry I enjoyed the music. Especially The Love Boat Theme. All I can say is there is always at least 1 rotten apple.
Old May 10th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Lynda

I am sorry, I enjoyed your music. Maybe CruiseMates should read
these posts here and see that many of us do enjoy it.

I don't understand, all that people have to do is shut/close their speakers???? Simple solution hugh?
Old May 10th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Yeoman

Bob,

I will also miss your music. In fact, I usually keep my PC muted until I read on this board that people wanted to know how you did it and how much they enjoyed it!

As others have said, there are the whiners.
Old May 10th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Passenger

As the song goes....Bye Bye Miss American Pie ,Drove My Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry. and good ole boy's were drinkin whiskey and rye The Day The Music Died........too bad Bob. I thought the music was great!
Old May 10th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bob,
Wow, I love to music, in fact so much, you taught me how to do it Guess I'll no longer include any tunes either. As you can read, a lot of people did enjoy it, sorry it bothered anyone, it was never meant to be a pain, but I think it added a whole lot to the boards. Thanks anyway for the lessons, I actually did get it to work :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old May 10th, 2001, 07:09 PM
SUZIE

Dear "Carolina Bob",

I loved the music w/ your posts - ( Donna too) - Please don't stop. I never learned how to make it work for me, so I just looked forward to your little serenades, especially " Wake up a' little Suzie". Some people and their complaints make me furious.

suzie
Old May 10th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Shadow (and anybody else),

Since you brought up the song "American Pie" (by Don McLean), here's a trivia question. From whence does the name "American Pie" come?

Norm.
Old May 11th, 2001, 12:41 AM
First Mate

Are these complainers true cruisers? I think not.

I will miss your music...it was as much fun as reading your posts. I say those duds are the few that wait in line at the pursers office to complain about the dumest things..Hey you duds out there.... JUST GET A LIFE....leave us "fun loving positive cruisers" alone with our music and don't sail anymore you are just breathing our air anyway!
Old May 11th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Admiral

No, No, No!!!!!!!!!!!! The music was the BEST! Please put it back. It was the best part of the message boards and really added to the festive nature of what we are all talking about. I have been so impressed by your enthusiasm and your "going the extra" mile for us so that this site would be enjoyable and uplifting. What party-poopers. This is a message board for cruising, not meditating.

Regards,
Karen ( a fan)
Old May 11th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is true that we did receive one complaint about the music, and so I requested that when it is included that the volume get turned down. Not everyone finds it easy to turn the volume down right away whenever a song pops up in a message -- not all computer speakers have volume controls. The complaint said it was ruining her ability to surf late at night without disturbing her kids.

I think music is fine as long as the message header says "w/music" as a fair warning not to open the message if you don't want sound.

For the record, I am one of those people who finds music on webpages to be distracting and annoying, and I am a true cruiser... :-) -- and a musician myself.

Paul Motter
CruiseMates.com
Old May 11th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

So, because 1 person and yourself do not like the music and could turn it down if you wanted to, you deprive the rest of us who love it of being able to hear it. Tooooo bad! Helen
Old May 11th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Michael Munday

I found the music annoying and distracting but I just turned it down. No reason to file a complaint, in my opinion.
Old May 11th, 2001, 02:37 PM
First Mate

Helen,
Did you read Paul's post...it stated that if a person included on the Subject area w/music you can still have music. Sounds ok to me. And a great Idea!! This way people are warned before they open a post.
Michael
Old May 11th, 2001, 03:15 PM
First Mate

well now that we know who the "culprit" was and her reason for complaining,
and have read Paul's fix for the problem, can we look forward to music again?
How bout it Bob?
Old May 11th, 2001, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Hi Paul...

Thanks for your approval to resume posting with the background music. I will abide by your request and use the words "w/music" in the Subject line.

You mentioned turning down the volume as it is posted. Actually, a serious problem can arise if you make the playback level "barely perceptible" as you requested. People who really do want to hear the music will turn the volume up on their sound card to listen at a normal volume. The next time they use the sound system for a CD or another WebPage with sound, they get blown slap out of their chair because it is much too loud... kinda like the guy in the Maxell tape ads with his hair blown back. <grins> I use a standard middle setting on the volume level. Then, the listener can adjust it up or down or off as they wish.

You mentioned that "not all computer speakers have volume controls." I'm not a computer geek, but I know of no computer that can play MIDI files that you can not control the volume. Any sound card has software that can mute or reduce the volume.

I am sorry that you find the music "distracting and annoying," but I do appreciate the fact that you are letting the rest of us who enjoy it listen.

Thank you...

Sincerely,

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old May 11th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: No more music from me- w/music

Hey Bob,
Great, problem solved :-) Still not sure if I should change the volume??
Think I'll give this one a try, here goes.......

<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.empire1.net/midis/pop/dont_worry_be_happy.mid" volume=-800>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old May 11th, 2001, 03:50 PM
First Mate

Yo Grasshoppa...

Soundin' good in North Carolina on my brand spankin' new Dell computer with THX Certified Altec Lansing Surround Sound Speaker system.!

Bob "MacTarheel"... sans music this time. <grins>

<font face="Comic Sans MS" size=+2 color=red>It's more than a cruise... It's duh LUUUUUV Boat!!</font>
Old May 11th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Bob,
What, you got a new "puter", hope its got all the bells and whistles??
Enjoy!

Donna
Old May 12th, 2001, 06:58 AM
First Mate

Default Now, more music from me W/MUSIC

Yo Donna...

I've moved from a Hugo (a 100 MHz Compaq) to a Ferrarri. My next step is hooking up to Road Runner (beep, beep) and I'll be zooming down the Information Super Highway.

Check out this bad boy...

Dell Dimension 8100, Pentium 4, 1.3 GHz,
128 MB PC800 RDRAM,
19" P991 FD Trinitron Monitor,
40 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive,
Altec Lansing ASA 885 Surround Sound Speaker System with subwoofer.
16X Max Variable NEC DVD-ROM,
8x/4x/32x LG CD-RW 8080B (CD burner)
32MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Graphics Card
Santa Cruz DSP Sound Card,
Lucas Films THX Certified system

Bob "MacTarheel"

<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.88ok.com/leslie/Wipeout.mid" volume=-800>
Old May 12th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Now, more music from me W/MUSIC

Hi Bob,
Wow a CD burner too, watch out gang, we may have a monster on our hands :-)
Well, gotta get to work, wipe out, like that too.

Donna
Tuesday Chat HOst
Old May 12th, 2001, 01:18 PM
susancruises

Default Re: Now, more music from me W/MUSIC

Imagine so many posts on something cheery like music! I absolutely love it and boy I hope they don't go to VWs website, it is loud with lots of music and I think wonderful! I just don't find it distracting, it makes me smile when music pops up! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and at least you can continue! I'm surprised about the volume as even my little tiny e-machine has volume control!
Old May 13th, 2001, 06:39 AM
First Mate

Default Re: No more music from me W/MUSIC

Okay Norm... As a rock and roll buff, the curiosity got the best of me. I'll give it a shot.

I did some research and found the following interpretation in an article by Brian Farris dated July 25, 2000. Here's the link: <http://www4.ncsu.edu:8030/unity/users/b/bkfarris/251www/McLean/pages/Feeling.html>

"McLean, however, has consistently refused to discuss the meanings he had intended when writing American Pie." He continues, "Most listeners agree that American Pie mourns the loss of music's innocence and the loss of American folk music's influence." Farris offers, "Miss American Pie can represent the American folk music being overtaken by the British Invasion. America had lost its slice of the musical pie to England."

Also, from Don McLean's <u>OFFICIAL</u> Website: <http://www.don-mclean.com/DonMcLean/americanpie.asp>
"Don McLean has not and will not provide an explanation of the 'meaning' of 'American Pie'. This has added to the songs mystery. Many sites exist that attempt to provide an interpretation. Over the years the interpretation included here has been built up with contributions from many people. Its appearance here, on a site approved of by Don McLean certainly DOES NOT mean that this is an official interpretation or that Don McLean approves of it. He almost certainly doesn't." An excerpt from their interpretation: "Don McLean dated a Miss America candidate during the pageant."

Do I win a prize?

Has Don McLean ever performed on a cruise ship? <grins> I know one of my favorites Delbert McClinton has a Blues Cruise every year.

Bob "MacTarheel"
<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.88ok.com/leslie/AmericanPie.mid" volume=-500>
Old May 13th, 2001, 08:23 AM
susancruzs

I don't know if he does the cruise ship routine but he does some small theaters as I saw him in Woodstock, Illinois at their renovated Opera House. He was absolutely wonderful and we took my neice and she liked him alot, too.
Old May 13th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Bob,

You are correct in saying that Don McLean has declined to answer questions regarding the song "American Pie," but...

"Miss American Pie" was the name of a private airplane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" (J. D. Richarcson) as passengers that crashed on take-off in from an airport near Clear Lake, Iowa, in February of 1959, killing the pilot, Roger Peterson, and all three performers. The timing and circumstances of this accident are quite consistent with the lyrics of the song and its composer's age.

Coincidence? Probably not....

Norm.