Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Early Flight & Fort Lauderdale

I must be missing the obvious in the brochure, but what time do they start checking people in and allowing them to board in Fort Lauderdale? The ship is scheduled to depart at 7:45 p.m. Also, is there anything else to do beforehand in Fort Lauderdale? Is there a way to check luggage (including carry-ons) early? Our TA is arranging air (not through Princess) and our flight arrives at 9:35 a.m.

We'll also be staying the night in Fort Lauderdale after the cruise. Any recommendations?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Raffy

Default Re: Early Flight & Fort Lauderdale

Hi Jack,

I suggest you get to the port early becuase there some paperwork to fill out. We go to the port at 11:00 p.m. and filled out our paper work. They start boarding after 12:00. As far as something to do ahead of time, you can go to the port and check you luggage (they take it and bring it directly to your room) and walk around and check out some of the other ships docked. Also they have a duty free shop where you can buy alcohol.

What you can also do is have your TA arrange it so Princess gets your bags direclty from the airport and you can take a cab to the beach which is only 10 minutes away!

mnr
Old May 11th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Jack,

Princess's transfer service usually starts operating around 11:30, so you will have a couple hours to shop, have midmorning coffee, or whatever else suits your fancy at the airport if your flight is on time. The purser's staff ordinarily is ready for check-in when the first buses arrive at the terminal, so you can check in and board the ship right away. When you board, you can go to the Horizon Court (lido buffet) for lunch. Additionally, one of the main dining rooms usually serves lunch and the outdoor grill by the pool area might also be open. After you complete embarkation, you are free to go ashore if you wish but I'm not aware of any noteworthy attractions right in the port area.

If you did not buy transfers through Princess, you can hire a taxi to take you to whatever attractions you wish. The major drawback to this is that you will have your luggage with you -- which is not an ideal situation for sightseeing.

Norm.
Old May 15th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Admiral

By the time you retrieve your luggage you should just catch a taxi to the port. Check-in often starts by noon. Today, you can complete your paper work on-line and you should do so., just bring the copies with you in case of "computer glitch". Once you have put your carry-ons in the cabin, you may wish to disembark and walk out of the port to the Right and walk over the 17th. Street Bridge to the Hyatt 66. You can catch he water taxi at the marina in front of all of the boats or just go to the top of the Hyatt and if the revolving lounge is open, stop for a cool drink. But, after traveling, my best recommendation is to just relax when you board ship. Un-pack your carry-on's, make reservations if you plan on alternative dining or spa/beauty treatment, have lunch, take a tour or go on your own to explore the entire ship. Later in the week, you will appreciate knowing where you are going!! This way you will not be exhausted and will have had a chance to read all of the newsletter, etc. which is in your cabin. Unpack and Put away your clothing, too as soon as possible.
Bon Voyage
Old May 17th, 2001, 12:38 AM
Laura I.

Wow...Nanatravel and Norm are both a wealth of information! We will also be arriving early and her hints will be helpful. I'm also wondering about bringing on some bottled water and/or a few bottles of wine to keep in my room. Is this Ok with the cruise line? Also, is there anywhere within walking distance of the port where I can purchase this or do I need to bring it with me from home? Thanks, Laura (June 3 sailing!)
Old May 17th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Yes, you can bring on your own. I usually bring what I like the best in my carry-on; i.e. Sparkling Water, Special Alcholic Beverage - try Tropico if you like rum, or wines. If you need to purchase after you check in, just disembark and either walk or take a taxi, as I mentioned towards the 17th Street bridge, but instead of crossing it, just cross the boulevard, turn Left and within 2 blocks near or in Eckers there is a Liquor store and Eckerds usually sells what you need. I would try to take a taxi back because your purchases may be heavy! Also, there is a Publix and Winn Dixie (very large supermarkets for wine & water & beer) close by 17th. but I did not see them. Also, within the prot authority, there is a very small counter where you can purchase alchol. You will need to return at 6 p.m. to pick it up. Choices seemed very limited.
Bon Voyage
Old May 17th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Yes, you can bring on your own. I usually bring what I like the best in my carry-on; i.e. Sparkling Water, Special Alcholic Beverage - try Tropico if you like rum, or wines. If you need to purchase after you check in, just disembark and either walk or take a taxi, as I mentioned towards the 17th Street bridge, but instead of crossing it, just cross the boulevard, turn Left and within 2 blocks near or in Eckers there is a Liquor store and Eckerds usually sells what you need. I would try to take a taxi back because your purchases may be heavy! Also, there is a Publix and Winn Dixie (very large supermarkets for wine & water & beer) close by 17th. but I did not see them. Also, within the prot authority, there is a very small counter where you can purchase alchol. You will need to return at 6 p.m. to pick it up. Choices seemed very limited.
Bon Voyage