Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2001, 06:36 PM
Lynda

Default LifeBoat/First Seating

Found out that we didn't get second seating on the Grand. If the lifeboat drill starts around 5:30pm, does anybody know what time dinner is for first seating?
I can't see how it is possible that the four of us attend the lifeboat drill, shower and dress to make dinner in time?

Has anybody just gotten off the Grand who had first traditional seating?
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2001, 07:19 PM
JENNIE

Default Re: LifeBoat/First Seating

All you need to do is when u get on board or the first night of dinner go to the Matire d (sp?) tell them u need to get 2nd sitting and they should be able to accomodate u. As a last resort (and I knew someone that did this) wanted 2nd seating did not get it so they protested in the form of eating from their room, the Matire d found out and had them switched to 2nd seating. You should be able to get what you want--it is your cruise! Enjoy!

JENNIE
Old May 16th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Carole Dunham

We were on first seating on the Grand. Let's face it about half the ship is eating at the first seating. I don't remember when they held the lifeboat drill but it didn't interfere with our dinner. Don't miss the sailaway party on deck. It's loads of fun.

Carole
Old May 16th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

The last two Princess cruises I was on didn't have a sail-away party. I hope the one I am going on on the Golden in June has one. Helen.
Old May 16th, 2001, 09:26 PM
Wannacruise

We just got off the Grand, and the life boat drill was at 5:00. I didn't hear anyone complaining about it interfering with dinner. This drill was the most comfortable and quick one I've been to. (I do agree with Carole though...you should be able to go to the maitre d & request a change. Many people do, and many request the Personal Choice, which I heard very good things about).

Happy sailing!
Old May 16th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Lynda

Thank you all for your help. When I board, I will ask to be changed to the second seating, but if it cannot be done, I will just make sure the kids are dressed and myself before the lifeboat drill so that after the drill my husband can shower and dress and we can all be ready for dinner in time.

I rather have traditional dining (heard good things about personal choice also) I feel it is more personal and the waiter gets to know what we like such as sauce on the side, espresso after dinner to name a couple of things.

Thank you again!
Old May 17th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Carole-did you have enough time to eat in the dining room on the first night, AND make it to the sail away party without being too terribly rushed? We're trying to decide whether to just eat at Horizon Court, or to go to the dining room the first night.
Old May 17th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Admiral

The Emergency drill is held in various inside lounges at 5PM. It should not take more than 15 to 20 minutes. You don't even go out side to your lifeboat. First seating is 6:15, so if the majority of you are dressed, you will have no problem getting to your table on time. On our sailing, they set up a "Maitre de" station outside Sabatinni's & the Wheelshouse bar for dining change requests. Go there immediately upon embarkation; 1 p.m I think is the start time. You may still have to dine in your assigned dining room and at the assigned time on the 1st. night as they asked us to do that. We switched dining rooms. You mentioned "kids". Why do you want late seating with a family? Kids programs usually run after 1st. seating? Are they young adults? Even teen programs are scheduled during 2nd. seating. We too are tradtionalists. I prefer the second seating and with the same group each night. Having lunch or breakfast in a different environment is a great way to experience variety.

Bon voyage
Old May 17th, 2001, 10:06 PM
gogetter

hello,

Just another tip...why not skip the lifeboat drill ? That way you could make it in time for dinner.
Old May 19th, 2001, 08:54 PM
Admiral

newcruiser,

You will have plenty of time to eat at either seating. The seatings are over two hours apart.

Norm.
Old May 19th, 2001, 09:24 PM
Admiral

gogetter,

Skipping the emergency drill is a good way to get left ashore when the ship departs. On a line that's as safety-conscious as Princess, skipping the safety drill does get taken very seriously.

Norm.
Old May 19th, 2001, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Lynda,

Rest assured that Princess will have the schedule worked out satisfactorily.

As to seating, I recommend sticking with first seating if you are travelling with children. The first seating coincides with the "dinner break" in the children's program and the teen program, so it probably will work out better.

Norm.