Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Thulewx

Default Crown - Personal choice?

Has the Crown Princess started Personal Choice yet? May be going on the Baltic cruise in June. Any one been on that itinerary or Crown?
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Crown - Personal choice?

Thulewx,

MV Crown Princess is slated to leave the Princess fleet by this time next year. With only one main dining room and few alternate venues, it seems unlikely that she will offer Personal Choice Dining.

I'm not sure what the arrangements for Pesonal Choice Dining will be on sister MV Regal Princess, scheduled to remain in the Princess fleet until 2004, or MV Royal Princess, which is not currently scheduled to leave the Princess fleet. These ships also have only one main dining room and few options for alternative dining, and thus might not offer Personal Choice Dining.

Norm.
Old May 18th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Sailing Regal 9/01. I am so glad that there is only 1 dining room. No Choice stuff on this magnificent ship. I love the evening meals and to be catered to by a wait-staff is simply wonderful. We don't get dressed up in a gown and tux, but we do wear 'church going' clothes. Always seems to be very acceptable. I do not live close to any 4 & 5 star restaurants so obviously do not have the opportunity to dine 'in style' very often. But when we cruise, it is 'top shelf' every evening.

Norway NCL 1983
Regal Princess 1998
Sea Princess 2000
Regal Princess 2001
Old May 19th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Sue,

Are you saying that you prefer MV Regal Princess over MV Sea Princess? If so, I'm curious as to which features influence your preference as that preference does seem unusual....

Thanks for your comments.

Norm.
Old May 20th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Yes, I do prefer Regal. The Sea is a beautiful ship. We were in aft cabin A-753. The room was quite nice especially for the incredible view. But I guess that is where the experience ended. These comments are solely mine, remember that. The food was 'acceptable' in the dining room. The Horizon Court food was a 'step down' from the dining room. Try to relax and sit in the sun...won't happen. We were continually interrupted by waiters pushing drinks. Remember me, I am the one who does not drink......Sea is anchored off the Princess Island...About 95% of the passengers are on the island. Tried to take a nap next to the pool. I was tapped on the shoulder and woke up by a waiter to see if I needed a drink. I think that the so-called entertainment was a complete sham....I guess I just enjoy a more laid-back cruise experience. Our past cruise on Regal offered that enjoyment. I do wish that the Regal had the aft suites. Really a great way to cruise. I guess that there are just too many people on the Sea and other sun-class ships. The Regal carries about 1500, as I recall, and of that number most are older and more seasoned cruisers. When I was on the Regal, I never felt 'pushed' to do anything. We were in the Marbella Suite. Never had to ask for anything to be done. The cabin steward saw to our 'every need'. He was fantastic. One thing I will say about the Sea, of which I complained quite loudly but my complaints fell on deaf ears, was one evening we were leaving the dining room. The crew were dressed as pirates and taking pictures with the passengers. I was not interested in having my picture taken. A crew approached me and I told her that I did not want my picture taken. I was grabbed by my arm and pushed backwards into a group of people. I slipped, tried to catch myself and stumbled. I have a very bad back. The pain set in and the result was a ruined cruise. I spent the next 3 days in the stateroom. Sure am glad it was an aft suite.....Sure I got a note from the Captain's office saying they were sorry for the incident. Sorry is something that was not necessary if the crew member had kept her hands to herself. I guess you can see why I prefer the Regal. Sailing to Alaska the first time on the Regal was wonderful. The Sea cruise was tarnished. Thus my preference for the Regal. One other thing, the room steward was very nice. BUT he had to be reminded to clean the shelves in the bathroom and to clean the glass doors on the shower. The bottles of shampoo, cream, etc were also a problem as he never bothered to replenish them unless I specifically asked him for replacements. Again, he was nice but maybe he just had too many rooms to attend to...He had advised us at the beginning of the cruise that we had priority as full-suite passengers for his attention and he did complete all his duties after reminders were left for him. Oh don't mind me, I just liked the Regal Princess more................Just mark it up to cruise experience. The Regal was by far the better........IMHO...
Old May 22nd, 2001, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Sue,

I'm really sorry to hear about the incident involving your back and the other episodes involving pushy or overly eager crew members. OTOH, it does sound like these problems could have arisen on either vessel and it would have been preferable if they had not happened on any vessel.

I was more curious about the ship herself, since the usual comments about MV Crown Princess and MV Regal Princess involve the lack of full-circle passage on the Promenade Deck and "The Dome" -- which most reviewers seem to describe as a disaster.

BTW, I find that the better place to "catch some Z's" on deck aboard MV Sun Princess and her sisters is the teak lounges on the Promenade Deck. There are not crew members pushing drinks out on the promenades.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Norm.