CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Bermuda in September (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/221384-bermuda-september.html)

Happy2cruise May 18th, 2001 06:54 PM

Bermuda in September

Would love to hear from people who have cruised to Bermuda in September about what kind of weather they encountered. Eveyone is telling us we're crazy to go in September because it prime hurricane season.

norm May 18th, 2001 11:41 PM

Re: Bermuda in September

Happy2Cruise,

You definitely will get a good discount for booking a Bermuda cruise in September. The weather on the island should be pretty close to ideal. It is prime hurricane season, but no master is going to take a cruise ship full of landlubbers (otherwise known as "passengers") anywhere near a hurricane. That's unfortunate because a storm at sea is great fun -- think of your favorite ride at the local amusement park running for a week and a half without stopping! -- but you don't get to find out. You see, some landlubbers have a penchant for turning various shades of green and creating lots of extra work for the crew under such conditions.

Seriously, hurricanes don't make it to New York very often and thus are not likely to affect embarkation and disembarkation. If there's a hurricane heading anywhere near Bermuda, you can bet that the ship will go to a destination called "Somewhere Else" to ensure that you and all of the other passengers have a wonderful cruise in spite of the adverse meteorological developments at your intended destination. In truth, this is a far better insurance policy than any resort ashore could ever give. Cruise ships have been known to divert to the Bahamas and to the Canada's Maritime Provinces since the Jones Act requires that they call at a foreign port if they call anywhere before returning to a port in the States. I'm guessing that such diversions probably occur for one week of a typical cruise season, but I don't have hard statistics on that. If you don't want to take the risk of such a diversion, book a cruise in May or early June. If you are willing to accept the risk, a September cruise should be fine.

Norm.

Happy2cruise May 19th, 2001 02:23 PM

Thanks Norm for your reply. We're booked and we are going no matter what. I guess I was just curious as to what other cruisers had experienced. My husband is an adventurer so the talk of hurricane season did not faze him and I love cruising to anywhere, anytime. Have heard so many wonderful things about Bermuda and the Pacific Princess we could not think of a better way to celebrate our anniversary.

norm May 19th, 2001 08:59 PM

Happy2cruise,

Have a wonderful voyage!

Norm.

Nanatravel May 23rd, 2001 12:39 PM

Happy Anniversary Happy2cruise. We too were looking at the Pacific Princess for September (our Anniversary, too). Sept. sailing out of the Northeast is usually still beautiful seas and daytime weather. You just have the "threat" of a hurricane. When we did our Panama Canal cruise 10/27 to 11/8 (late in the hurrican season) we sailed out of San Juan and into Acapulco and it was almost perfect weather. The very next sailing (11/8 to 11/20) in reverse, they encountered a Hurricane which would not move from the Caribbean Islands (St. Martin, St. Thomas, San Juan), and they actually had to disembark passengers for the return trip home from Arudba. You never know. We won't be joining you but do let me know how you liked the Pacific. I have never been on an older ship, but this one interests me. Maybe because she is being pulled out of this area in 2002.
Bon Voyage.

Happy2cruise May 26th, 2001 03:15 PM

Thanks Nanatravel! We have never been on a smaller ship either but really looking forward to the Pacific. There have been so many wonderful things posted about her and Bermuda. The only thing that is disappointing to us is there are no balcony cabins. We are spoiled because we love the balcony rooms to sit out there and enjoy our morning coffee as we come in to the different ports, sleep with the door open at night to enjoy the sounds of the ocean, and just relax. Will let you know how we enjoyed it.

Larry May 29th, 2001 12:44 PM

Never sailed to bermuda in September, but......I'm leaving June 3rd for bermuda, never been on a small ship b4 really looking forward to it.

Angie June 1st, 2001 01:40 PM

We two are being adventurous and doing the Bermuda Cruise in September. We are sailing on 9/16 with an overnight in New York on the 15th. Though our 21st anniversary was in May this is the first chance I have of getting away. We have been on 4 other cruises but all on the mega ships. My husband is really looking forward to a small and cozy ship.