Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Bo Bear

Default Dining options?

We are sailing on the Dawn Princess in late June. The more I read the more confused I get in one area, that is with dining options.
We have chosen the traditional dining room setting. Can we, for example, go to the steak house one night or are we bound to the dining room?
Also is room service available for any meal? Is there an extra charge for it? Should I tip when it arrives or will the tip be added on?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Dining options?

Hi Bo Bear,
Even though you are signed up for the traditional dinning, yes you can go to the "steak" house, where there is an additional fee for dinning there, some say, well worth it. As for room service, there is a limited menu that 24 hours and you'd tip the server at the time the meal is delivered.

Have a great time on "Dawn Princess"!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old May 25th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bo Bear,
Even though you are signed up for the traditional dinning, yes you can go to the "steak" house, where there is an additional fee for dinning there, some say, well worth it. As for room service, there is a limited menu that 24 hours and you'd tip the server at the time the meal is delivered.

Have a great time on "Dawn Princess"!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old May 26th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Bo Bear,

You may eat at any alternative restaurant at any time with either dining option. MV Dawn Princess now has three alternative restaurants -- the Horizon Court (which operates as a buffet during the day and as a bistro late at night), the pizzeria (open for lunch and after the normal dinner hour in the evening), and the grill/steak house on deck (which serves burgers, hot dogs, etc., during the afternoon and sit-down dinners at night). Of these alternative restaurants, only the steak house has a surcharge ($8 per person).

Just thinking out loud, Princess's main dining rooms feature "fine dining" (some might argue if I were to say "gourmet cuisine") for which you would pay dearly at home (I would guess $25-$50 per person and up around the Boston area) with a different menu each night, and it's included in the cruise fare. The steak house serves a meal comparable to what you can get at TGI Friday's or Outback Steak House for $20 or less. My choice is obvious -- I'll eat the steak at home. Will you join me in the dining room?

BTW, the dining room will serve any steak from the steak house on the evening of your choice at no extra charge (though you will "owe" your head waiter a tip for arranging it) if you simply ask for it in advance. A request on the night before you wish to have it served usually provides sufficient advance notice.

We should also mention that the dining room menu is available from room service when the dining room is open. The more limited room service menu is always available.

Norm.
Old May 27th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Hello

Norm,

re: room service

Does this mean that I can order lobster, during the dinner hours, on the night that they are serving it in the dining room? I ask this, as my 82 year old father will be traveling with us to Alaska this summer ...... and I KNOW he will not put a suit on (and at 82 he's entitled!!), but this way we could have our lobster, without upsetting others, and not have to eat at the Horizon Court. Thank you.
Old May 27th, 2001, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Hello,

Yes, you understood correctly. If the dining room is serving lobster, room service will deliver the lobster dinner to your cabin.

Norm.
Old May 29th, 2001, 02:44 AM
Hello

Thank you SO much! We were becoming quite apprehensive about formal nights. The dress code seems to create such strong opinions and emotion. Now, we won't have to worry about the formal nights, and everyone will be fine!!

I appreciate your time, thank you again!!