Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Rochelle

Default Mandatory tipping????!!!!!

I received an email from a friend that just returned from a Princess cruise. She stated that Princess made the tipping mandatory, and the passengers were not informed of the fact before sailing. Has anyone had this experience?, Could it have been a trial baloon. If the tipping is mansatory, it is NOT a tip but a fee, and that is false advertisement of price.

We never have had a problem of giving the suggested tip, sometimes a snip more, but if the policy has changed and the tips are in the same mannor as port charges, by golly they need to tell you that this is the new situation.

When I called Princess line to get more information, I was told that you had the option of adjusting the tips as you saw fit, but often the office staff is the last to know

Who knows for sure...remember this is a most recent turn of events, within the last two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Mandatory tipping????!!!!!

We just came off the Sea Princess a week ago.

They automatically charge $6.50 per day/per person for dining room tips to your cruise card amount. There have been several threads on the boards about this over the last couple of months. It's all part of the "Personal Choice Cruising" campaign. This is in lieu of filling out the envelopes as a "minimum tip for the dining room staff. Our pre-cruise stuff talked about this a little bit, but if automatic tipping is not what makes you comfortable, just go to the Pursers' desk after you board and cancel.

Remember though that this is dining room staff only, not for your stateroom stewerd.

We personnally found this very convienient, and the service was well worth the amount. By the By we ended up in Personal Choice Dining with this tipping, and still received great service. Automatic tipping also applies to traditional sittings.
Old June 4th, 2001, 07:12 PM
First Mate

It is not mandatory, it is automatic. As Joe said, you can go to the purser's desk and have some, or all of it deleted....or you can add to the amount.
Old June 5th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Ricko

... a related question... can room steward tips be put on your shipboard account? A non-drinker, I was planning on using some shipbord credit for just this purpose...
Old June 6th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Admiral

The tipping is now "automatic" not mandatory. This was announced by Princess last September. Princess does not repeat this message however, and your friend evidently did not read these many cruise forum board, the Patters or the Book placed within each cabin that details these new procedures. It amazes me how people can complain when something changes and they did not do any research to clarify their concern. Hope they had a good time and that they enjoyed their cruise.
Old June 7th, 2001, 11:34 AM
herrbeir

I don't mind tipping for service, but I still have a question. I've never cruised before, but have selected traditional dining. I may only go to the evening meal while using the various grills and buffets for breakfast and lunch. Does the 3.50/per person/meal cover the waitstaff outside the dining room? I just don't want to be tipping for meals not taken, or not tipping staff that did assist me.

Thanks for your help.
Old June 7th, 2001, 03:41 PM
First Mate

Yes, the automatic gratuity system covers everyone in the all the dining facilities. Because there are so many different dining venues now, you are being waiting on by different wait staffs constantly. That is one reason that the cruise line elected to go with the auto-tipping and try to make the tipping more equitable for the wait staffs. The auto-tips also cover the head waiters and the maîtré d' hôtel.

However, the auto-tip is <u>$6.50 per person per day</u>(or $91 for a couple on a 7-day cruise) and is added to your cruise account each day. You have the option of increasing, decreasing or canceling the auto-tip at your discretion.

Bob "MacTarheel"

<font face="Comic Sans MS" size=+2 color=red>It's more than a cruise... It's duh LUUUUUV Boat!!</font>
Old June 10th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Lady Jag

That can't be true. We just returned 3 weeks ago and the mandatory tipping policy was printed in black and white, as clear as could be, in the brochures that came with all the other information.

We loved it! It worked out great for us. Every day, a $6.50 charge would appear on our cabin account. The kids would also be charged the same amount every day. It made our life a little easier. There was less to hassle with and since we were on Personal Choice Dining, it made sense.

I just wish they would have added the cabin steward into the charges too. We just paid him cash upfront and then more at the end of the cruise. More and more cruise lines are going to this tipping idea. We couldn't believe the DIFFERENCE in the wait staff's attitudes compared to last year on the Grand!! It was a HUGE difference. They were happy, content and were even caught singing while quietly working and smiling a lot more. As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing."
Old June 10th, 2001, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Rochelle,

On ships that feature Personal Choice Dining, Princess automatically adds $6.50 per passenger per day to each shipboard account for tips to the dining staff in lieu of tipping the dining staff directly -- but it's not a mandatory tip. The purser's desk will adjust this amount upward or downward upon request.

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Shellie

Just got back from the Grand 6/3. Our TA made us aware of the $6.50 per person charge for tipping for dining service (note you still tip your cabin stewart on your own). I felt it was just a convience not mandatory and you can absolutely adjust the amount if you feel it is inappropriate in any way. It turned out easier for us in the long run .. one less thing to worry about on your last day! I'd imagine it would be a bit of a shock if you didn't know ahead of time. These board are great for getting all the info so you go in with your eye's open. There were no surprises for us on this cruise other than they reinstated the charge for the Painted Desert to $8.00 per person. You also pay for the ice cream just as an FYI.

Have a great time!