Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Default personal choice

do you have to make a reservation for the dining room if you opted for personal choice. I know you make reservations for the alternative restaurants, but not for the dining room?
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Anivory

Default Re: personal choice

Just came back from the Grand Princess!

We had personal choice and we just went to the restaurant
and we were seated. One time we had to wait about 2 minutes
for seating. We asked to dine alone each time.

We made reservations at the Painted Desert for lunch (at sea
day). It was great!
Old June 6th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Gina

Is personal choice dining an option on the Sun Princess?
Old June 6th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Yeoman

Yep...I am going on the Sun Princess on August 6th. We are going to do Personal Choice dining...

Bon Voyage...one of my companions on this trip is my daughter Gina...
Old June 7th, 2001, 10:35 PM
Admiral

<http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf10517.html>

Here is a great article on Personal Choice!
Old June 8th, 2001, 06:36 AM
mcathy

The article at cruisenews daily was very helpful! It made things alot clear especially for a first time cruiser.
Cathy
Old June 10th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Lady Jag

Just got back from the Grand 3 weeks ago on Personal Choice. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!! Can't say enough about how relaxing it was to eat when we wanted to! You can only make reservations if you have a party of 6 or more, we found.

What we did is put our name on the list, took our kids to the kids' program and returned and our table for 5 people was ready. The service was impeccable, despite the fact that we had a different waiter every night. It did get a bit crowded in the bar area outside the Michaelangelo Dining room around 7pm, which seemed to be the busiest time of the evening to dine. But, it wasn't uncomfortable or too crowded and we never waited longer than 15 mins.

The waiters had a good sense of humor about the last name pronunciations and the passengers got a laught out of it too. Something was lost in the translation on a lot of last names being called out by an Italian Head Waiter!
Old June 11th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Gina

Hey Cheryl

We are going July 30th so we will just miss you.

To anyone: Do we have to sign up for personal dining ahead of time or can we check out our reserved dining seating/companions, etc forst and decide the next night? My travel agent didn't say anyting about it. I think sitting with strangers is really hit or miss. Am I compromising on taste or is it the same food in the Personal choice dining rooms? I read the article and couldn't find the answer to this.

Does princess make any effort to sit you with people of similar age, etc or is that too complicated?
Old June 11th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Gina

Hey Cheryl

To anyone: Do we have to sign up for personal dining ahead of time or can we check out our reserved dining seating/companions, etc forst and decide the next night? My travel agent didn't say anyting about it. I think sitting with strangers is really hit or miss. Am I compromising on taste or is it the same food in the Personal choice dining rooms? I read the article and couldn't find the answer to this.

Does princess make any effort to sit you with people of similar age, etc or is that too complicated?
Old June 11th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Gina

Hey Cheryl

Old June 11th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Gina

Hey Cheryl

Old June 11th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Gina

Default Ooops, sorry for multiple posts!!!

My computer was showing that it wasn't posting. Is there any wy to delete?

thanks
Old June 12th, 2001, 02:06 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Ooops, sorry for multiple posts!!!

Just returned from 'Voyage of the Glaciers' tour on Sea Princess June 2. we told our cruise booker that we wanted the Personal Choice Dining. You will know for sure that you are boked for that when you get your personalized Cruise card when you embark. There will be a blank space after "seating" and "table #" This alowed us the option of dining any time between 5:30 and 10pm. This was great for Alaska because there is so much to see outside it's hard to tear yourself away. We ate each day about 9:30 and were given a table for two by the window so many times we asked to sit in the middle one night to get a different feel for the room - how nice is that for a problem Every night we played with the menu and just ordered everything that we wanted to try - even if it was 4 entrees and no appetizers. Because it was just the two of us we could relax and be candid and really get into the fantastic food adventure. Without being greedy we easily had a $125 dollar meal each night. It was such a treat to have dessert without the guilt. On day 5 (or 4) it was "French Night" and we tried escargot, frogslegs, duckling, lobster linguine and puff pastry swans and a pond of rasperry. We called it the Raccoon meal - something he would have in a day I saw lineups waiting to get in at the traditionally busy times - 6:30 to 7:30. But there are so many great places to wait and have a drink, there's no way you could be inconvenienced. If you have any other questions, let me know
Old June 12th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ooops, sorry for multiple posts!!!

Gina, it is always interesting to try to figure out how a cruise line matches people up for a dining table assignment. On our 1st. cruise we determined everyone was from New England. On our 2nd. cruise everyone except one couple who where traveling with his Mom & husband were in suites. On the Millennium, most of us were in our 50's. So it is really hit or miss. We have only been assigned to one table that I wish we could have changed as it was only a table of 6 and the couples were much older but one lady was a real "complainer". We ended up enjoying the company at dinner of the other 3 people. The time spent in the dining room is only an hour and a half or so, and not everyone shows up each night now with alternative dining options. I like meeting different people. The food is the same but the servers could be different on Personal choice.
Bon Voyage