Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Default Question about rooms on Dawn Princess

Hi again everyone! Just a short thank-you to everyone who was so helpful in supplying me with information about the Grand Princess before we took our May 20th cruise. We loved Princess so much, that we cancelled our January 5th, 2001 Southern Caribbean Cruise on RCCL and changed it for the same dates on the Dawn Princess.

My question is this: We booked the highest possible category room on the ship which is a AA category. Since we love the back of the ship, we are on the Baja deck in the Moraco Suite. My paperwork says we are in room 750, even though the brochure shows the room as 748. In any event, has anyone ever seen or stayed in this room or one similiar to it on the Dawn? Any comments or information about this suite would be helpful.

In addition, any information about the ship itself would be nice. On the Grand, we loved the Wheelhorse Lounge. We were in that lounge almost all the time and just loved the jazz music. Too bad no one else thought the same. The lounge was almost empty every day and night, but that meant more quite time for us.

We like the cozy type lounges. Thanks for your help.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Question about rooms on Dawn Princess

Dave,

MV Dawn Princess is a fantastic ship. I like her much better than MV Grand Princess because the public spaces seem vastly superior in both layout and functionality. The Wheelhouse Lounge aboard MV Dawn Princess is even bigger and better than the Wheelhouse Lounge aboard MV Grand Princess and it usually has two live bands that play music for listening and dancing from 5:00 PM until 1:00 AM. MV Dawn Princess also has teak deck lounges on the Promenade Deck. You will have to try these lounges yourself to appreciate their magical properties -- and I warn you to do so on the shady side rather than the sunny side of the Promenade Deck! Some folks who sit in them have been known to become so oblivious to the cares of this world that they enter altered states of consciousness and completely lose track of the passage of time. If this happens on the sunny side of the promenade deck, you might develop the "lobster look" -- which is not cool! I also like La Scala, the pizzeria at the top of the atrium (which is open for lunch from noon to 5:00 PM and again for alternative dining from 9:00 PM until midnight) and the Horizon Court (one section of which becomes a bistro in the evening and another section of which has live music and dancing from 9:00 PM until midnight). In short, I'll choose MV Dawn Princess (or any of her sisters) over MV Grand Princess whenever there's a choice!

There are about a half dozen subtle differences between MV Sun Princess and her later sisters, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess, one of which is the location of the full suites and minisuites at the aft end of the Baja Deck. You apparently have the deck plan of MV Sun Princess, which has the full suites are outboard and the minisuites are inboard (so the Monaco Suite is B-748, the St. Tropez Suite is B-753, and B-750 and B-755 are minisuites). MV Dawn Princess,.MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess have the full suites inboard and the minisuites outboard at the aft end of the Baja Deck (so the Monaco Suite is B-750, the St. Tropez Suite is B-755, and B-748 and B-753 are minisuites). There might be a below the cabin numbers of the two full suites in the deck plan that references a note indicating this reversal of location.

Be sure to bring your colorful Hawaiian shirt and tell your "significant other to bring her colorful Hawaiian dress for the "Island Night" party that happens out on deck in the main pool area. That night, they also have the "Island Night" Buffet with all the vegetable carvings and ice sculptures, too, so don't forget the camera!

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2001, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Sailed Sea Princess (sister ship) in Sorrento on Dolphin to Western Carib 11/00. Lovely room. View of the ship's wake is incredible. We slept on the balcony several nights. The same amenities as any full suite but the view of the churning waters by the engines and the fantastic sunsets (east bound) and the beautiful sun rises (west bound) are breathtaking. You will notice a bit of vibration when the thrusters are in use, but that is minimal IMHO. You will pay top dollar for these suites but the rewards are completely worth the price......
Old June 14th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Talliho

I've been on Dawn in a basic balcony cabin on Aloha deck, and it was wonderful - but the suite you're in is going to be awesome! I've been on 7 other ships (among Princess, HAL and Celebrity) and the Dawn is my favorite. Not only is she beautiful in every way, but I think she's the best laid-out ship I've been on - so easy to learn your way around, never "lost". I also loved the Wheelhouse and went there every night, it was pretty popular on my trip (Panama Canal, San Juan to Acapulco, 5-00). I really don't have any negative recollection of the ship - it was one of my favorite cruises. Have a wonderful time!! I'm "pea green with envy"!
Old June 14th, 2001, 09:57 PM
First Mate

I'm also interested to hear anything anyone has to add about the AA suite #746 on the Dawn (Caribe deck). Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Had a Cat AA on the Dawn Princess, Dolphin deck in November 1999 and my friend who went with me barely left the room. They are very spacious and beautiful.

You won't be disappointed.
Old June 15th, 2001, 10:56 AM
seagarsmoker

Dave, hope you write a review of your cruise. We're going on the Dawn March 23, 2002. Been on two of her sister ships (Sun & Sea) and enjoyed them MUCH better than the Grand. Someone else has already posted some great info on your room. Sounds awesome!
fun,fun,fun,
JBrown
Old June 15th, 2001, 05:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

Great posts. Anone have anymore specific suite info to share? We are considering a suite on the Dawn and might need a little extra push to do so. Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2001, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Take a tour of the AA suites at this website <http://www.mytravelco.com/cruises/cruiseship/360/cruiseships.asp?Media_Type=2&brand=1&SN=803&SC=DP>
Old June 15th, 2001, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Or look at Sea Princess AA's at this website <http://www.mytravelco.com/cruises/cruiseship/360/cruiseships.asp?Media_Type=2&brand=1&SN=803&SC=CP>

Michael
Old June 15th, 2001, 06:50 PM
First Mate

Sorry...on the ship tour of Sea Prinesss the AA was not listed. Sorry

Michael
Old June 15th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Mark, If you sail in a full suite it will be very difficult to cruise any other way. The spaciousness of the room alone is great. The balcony's are very large. Your steward will let you know that you will be his priority. We sailed on Sea Princess in the Sorrento Suite on Dolphin Deck. No packets of shampoo, lotion, etc. Beautiful bottles of all items. Whirlpool Tubs with a separate glass shower. Fresh flowers in the room. Two very large Tv's. Wet Bar with a set-up of about 8 mini-bottles of liquor. All the bottled water you want. Soda's were also available & you could request the kind of soda you wanted. The evening dining room menu and a tray of canapes were delivered to the suite each evening about 5P. Chocolate covered strawberries, etc. We requested a bowl of the Godiva chocolates in the suite (like the ones on your pillow at night) so we could enjoy them all day long. We had full dining room service in the suite one evening. Just let your steward know and he will take your order from the dining room menu and serve it to you in the suite. Remember you have to do this during the regular dining room hours. As for breakfast in the suite, we just wrote down what we wanted (not from the regular room menu) and our steward delivered with perfect consistency. Priority Tender Passes were delivered to the suite. We used them one time and they did come in handy. We were not on an early excursion in the Cayman Islands but we just wanted to go ashore early. No problem with the passes. I am sure that some services vary according to the steward and the occupants, meaning that if you don't know what to ask for, you will miss out. And I have found that the steward does not offer forth any of the items I have listed. We had to ask.........Go for a full suite.....It is the only way to cruise....IMHO...
Old June 15th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Sue,

For the amount of time that I spend in my cabin on a cruise, I prefer to book an inexpensive (inside) cabin -- which is perfectly adequate for sleeping, showering, and shaving and invest the $avings in the $tock of the cruise line (a solid business that's growing at a rate of about 20% per year and still has a lot of growth potential)...

But we offer suites especially for folks like you!

Norm.
Old June 15th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Norm, That is exactly what cruising is all about. Having what is important to yourself. The full suites are my 'cup of tea' and having a high-pressure job, I cruise for the time alone, relaxing in the suite. I probably spend 80% of the cruise in the suite. Nothing like boarding the ship, shutting the suite door and leaving the world outside.......IMHO...
Old June 17th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Sue,

What a pity! By staying in your suite all day, you're missing out on the magic of those wonderful teak lounges that line both sides of the Promenade Deck aboard MV Dawn Princess and her sisters!

Those teak lounges are the best de-stressers that I have ever found anywhere. They really work their magic whenever you sit in them, causing all the world's cares fade into oblivion. Some folks even seem to enter altered states of consciousness. I usually warn people to be sure to choose a lounge on the shady side of the Promenade Deck, as many folks also become completely oblivious to the passage of time. When this happens, the sunny side of the Promenade Deck can bring the "lobster look" to exposed skin, accompanied by several days of much discomfort!

Norm.
Old June 17th, 2001, 09:21 PM
Yeoman

Dave,

Are you the same guy who wanted the info on E728 mini on The Grand?
Old June 18th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Yeoman

No need to argue...the difference in our preferences is the reason Princess gives all those choices. Viva la difference!!!