Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2001, 08:24 PM
Linda B.

Default Thanksgiving Week 7 day sailing on Grand

My mother, husband, myself and our 2 children will be 1st. time cruisers on the Grand for the week of Thanksgiving 2001. Our children are 12 year old son, and 14 year old daughter. Any tips on on the islands in Western Carribean? We stop at Grand Cayman (thinking of stingray snorkel excursion), etc. Any others w/kids this age sailing at Thanksgiving? Any tips appreciated in general w/regards to sailing on the Grand in the Western Carribean....thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2001, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Thanksgiving Week 7 day sailing on Grand

Hi Linda,
Definately go and snorkel with the sting rays in Grand Cayman, it will be a real hit with the kids, its awesome. If they like to snorkel, try getting a cab over to Chankanaab park in Cozumel, very nice beach.

Since your cruising over a spring break there is sure to be plenty of other kids cruising too, so I bet your kids will find buddies right away. We were on Ocean Princess during a spring break and there were many kids/families on board.

Enjoy your cruise on Grand!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 20th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Linda B.

Hi, Donna!

Thanks for your reply. It's actually this Thanksgiving week 2001 that we are sailing on the Grand Princess. Being a holiday week, I do hope there will be other families w/kids. Are there snorkeling lessons on the boat, or do they go over that w/you on the shore excursion itself? We have never snorkeled before!

Our cabins (2 of them) are on the Caribe deck; outside doubles category BC, rooms 519 and 523. Our TA indicated the one room could be eligible for an upgrade, but not the other, and since my daughter and Mom will be in one cabin, we don't want to risk being separated. My Mom is 75, daughter is just 14. I need to ask the TA why both rooms wouldn't be eligible together for an upgrade?!?! I guess I need to talk about that w/ the TA.

Also, the ship leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 7:45 PM on 11/18. I think we fly into Ft. Lauderdale that same day. What would you recommend as the best or latest time to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale airport and get a transfer to ship? We don't want to be rushed and late, worrying are we going to miss the ship!

Thanks very much for any additional insight on the above!
Old June 20th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Linda,
I'd suggest getting the earliest flight out on the day of the cruise, more time to get to the ship and explore. We too have to fly out on the day of the cruise, earlier the better for us, wish I could go a day early, thats the best.

As for snorkeling, they will show you how when you go on excersions, its pretty easy once you get the hang of it, its fun, you'll enjoy it. I'd also advise getting one of those floating vests, they will provide them during the tours.

Have Fun!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 20th, 2001, 10:22 PM
RHONDA GOLD

WE are going on the same ship as you the week before to renew our vows. Keep me posted on any info you get. When it comes to flying into fort lauderdale. I would consider the earliest possible fight becasue aparently if you miss the boat its at your expense to get onto it. I have read that its recomended to fly in the day before in case of delayed luggage, weather etc.

Keep in touch
Rhonda
Old June 21st, 2001, 11:01 AM
First Mate

If you buy your own air, get there the night before to save some worry. There are inexpensive hotels that offer free transfers. If you bought air with the cruise line, they will wait for you.
Old June 21st, 2001, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

BC category is a verandah (balcony) stateroom. We are on the same cruise L201 BA category stateroom.

Transfers are $10 thru Princess from the airport to the ship which we use & also have them booking our air since they are cheaper this time, so far. But we still have 5 months to snag a sale.
Old June 21st, 2001, 08:47 PM
Passenger

We are with you guys.

My wife and I, age 38 (estimated) are celebrating our 14 aniversary.

Looking forward to it.

Doug
Old June 21st, 2001, 10:45 PM
Admiral

I will also be on the Grand for Thanksgiving with you guys. This will be my second time on the Grand.

You can board the ship starting at 11:45. I would strongly recommend getting to the ship as early as possible - this gives you more time to be on the ship (with fewer people).

We are also on Caribe deck.

In the Caymen's - you have to do Stingray City - it is the best!

The Grand is a wonderful ship - it will be fun!