Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2001, 05:24 PM
Lynda

Default Grand Clean?

I just found out (we are cruising on the Grand in July) that the Grand will be refurbished on October 1st...has anybody who recently cruised on her found her to be lets say not in good shape?
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2001, 06:47 PM
Malprl

Default Re: Grand Clean?

The Grand was spotless when we were on her in March...she's not brand new, but pretty close.
Mal
Old June 21st, 2001, 09:39 PM
Admiral

We were on her in December. I was amazed that they were painting things that I thought looked fine. The ship was beautiful and in excellent condition.

I think cruiselines periodically take a week off to put new carpet in, etc. . .items that can not be done with passengers.

Don't worry about it - you will have a wonderful time. BTW - I liked it so much, I am sailing again in November.
Old June 21st, 2001, 11:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

How long is this refurbishing suppose to take? We are scheduled to sail on Oct. 14th.
Old June 22nd, 2001, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Scheduling a ship to go to dry dock for a week especially in low season is part of the normal maintenance routine. You should feel good that she will be spick and span when you cruise. Crew and outside contractors will come in and do major "Fall Cleaning" often including, rugs, upholstry, curtains, walls, and any rountine technological maintenance. The Grand looked great in March. The maintenance crew is constantly working on board to keep up with appearances and necessary routine repairs.
Bon voyage
Old June 22nd, 2001, 09:40 AM
Lynda

Glad your going again Theresa, something more to look forward to this year....

Yes, wish the Grand went into dry dock before we sailed, but as Theresa and others have told me that she looks very good, so thats good. Thank you!! Lynda
Old June 22nd, 2001, 01:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Hi Lynda...We just said the Grand on May 20th and I have to echo the other responses. The ship was beautiful. It would seem to me that the only things that need to be re-done are the things the naked eye can't see that well. As mentioned before, many routine things will be taken care of, but there doesn't appear to be anything to worry about.
Old June 22nd, 2001, 05:03 PM
Lynda

Thank you!!! Dave wrote:
>
> Hi Lynda...We just said the Grand on May 20th and I have to
> echo the other responses. The ship was beautiful. It would
> seem to me that the only things that need to be re-done are
> the things the naked eye can't see that well. As mentioned
> before, many routine things will be taken care of, but there
> doesn't appear to be anything to worry about.
Old June 22nd, 2001, 06:08 PM
First Mate

I was on board the New Years cruise. There were lots of areas where the carpeting needed to be refurbished and relaid -- this should not be too surprising given the number of people on board. However, room doors did not close; there were some areas where the carpet actually had holes in it. Seats in the theatre were broken. Some of this is regular wear and tear, but it was not as I had expected it would be.
Old June 22nd, 2001, 06:47 PM
Passenger

Lynda, I called Princess and they said the Grand is sceduled for dry dock Dec 2-16 and no nothing of any matinence the first week of October. Where did you get this info?
Marci
Old June 22nd, 2001, 11:40 PM
Lynda

Marci,

Right before I make my reservations, I always check the FDA and the dry dock schedule....I called Princess back in November, and they did tell me then the Grand will be in dry dock in December, I confirmed this in March, they said the same-december. But recently I read a post where a person stated the dry dock will be taken place in October, so I checked that yesterday with Princess and they said she is going in for refurbishment in October. So who knows who's telling the truth??!! If they told me a few months back thats she was going in for October, I would of never booked her up....
Tom above here said the carpeting needed repairs, then you have others say shes great....one thing that I always took notice on a ship was the carpeting Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This cruise better be everything I expect it to be, we were debating upon the Explorer and this and well....you know the rest.

I will make one more call tomorrow and get to the bottom of this, will let you know what they say. Lynda
Old June 22nd, 2001, 11:41 PM
lyndammr

Dave,

How was the carpeting on the Grand, did you notice that it needed to be redone? Lynda
Old June 24th, 2001, 10:21 AM
First Mate

My wife, two boys and I were on the Grand four weeks ago and she is a very clean ship. The carpets looked a little worn but all in all the Grand is wonderful ship to cruise on. You won't be disappointed.
Old June 24th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Lynda

Thank you for easing our minds here!!