Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2001, 10:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default mediterranean for teens?

I am trying to decide what my teens will think of a Grand Mediterranean cruise. I know that they will love the ship (Golden), but will they enjoy the ports?. They are average when it comes to tours, sightseeing etc. Has anyone done this trip with teens? Please let me know your experiences (parents and teens please help)
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: mediterranean for teens?

Beth,
We did this itinerary on the Grand Princess with our teens in '98. At that time they were 17 and 14. To answer your question, they have BEGGED us to do it again and we will be taking them on the Golden in just a few short weeks! Only this time, we are doing the itinerary in reverse. This is the greatest itinerary for teens! Ifyou have any addtional and specific questions, just e-mail me and I will be happy to answer at length! Meg
Old June 25th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Passenger

Beth,
We did this itinerary on the Grand Princess with our teens in '98. At that time they were 17 and 14. To answer your question, they have BEGGED us to do it again and we will be taking them on the Golden in just a few short weeks! Only this time, we are doing the itinerary in reverse. This is the greatest itinerary for teens! Ifyou have any addtional and specific questions, just e-mail me and I will be happy to answer at length! Meg
Old June 26th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Beth,

The attractions in many of the ports of calls on that itinerary are truly unique, and there's much to fascinate teens along the way. My only caution is to be sure that they understand that some countries in Europe are more conservative than the United States, so they will have to wear attire that's acceptable at the places that you will visit on tours. For the most part, boys will have to wear long pants and girls will have to wear skirts that cover the knees with blouses that cover the shoulders, and some sort of head covering in order to visit most churches.

I highly recommend the following tours for your teens.

>> Istanbul -- The "Imperial Istanbul" tour visits the Hippodrome, the Blue Mosque, Haggia Sophia, and Topkapi Palace has plenty to amuse all ages. The price is that you won't have time to shop at Istanbul's Grand Bazzaar since the port of call is only a half day, but there's another Turkish bazzaar in Kusadasi (prounounced "KUSH - ah - dah' - see") where you'll have plenty of time to shop.

>> Kusadasi -- the tour of the excavated ruins of ancient Ephesus is unique; you can opt for the variation that includes Mary's house and the ruins of the Basilica of St. John (the apostle and evangelist is interred under the altar) depending upon your religious preference; you'll also have plenty of time for shopping at Kusadasi's bazzaar, which happens to be right at the end of the cruise ship pier

>> Athens -- The tour of the Acropolis is a "must."

>> Venice -- Most teens would love the tour that combines the Piazza San Marco, including a tour of the Doge's Palace and a nearby glass factory, with a gondola ride. You'll return to the ship on your own, so be sure to go into the Basilica San Marco to see the gold alterpiece (there's a small charge for this) and the rest of the artwork and architecture therein before you return to the ship. The major shopping opportunity is for stained glass, which is both magnificent and very affordable, if you have a place to use it.

>> Naples -- Take the tour to Capri (travel to the island by ferry), where you'll visit the town of Anacapri, have lunch in the town of Capri, and ride the funicular back to the harbor. There's an optional demonstration of a wood inlay game table at "the department store" in Anacapri -- but be sure to go in and see the wood inlay (made on the island) in any case. It's also very affordable. You'll also have plenty of time to shop in the town of Capri.

>> Livorno -- Unless you want to shop for leather goods, blow off Florence completely since your teens probably will get rather restless on the bus ride (which is very tedious). The tour to Pisa, with its leaning tower, is a great option.

>> Monte Carlo -- The tour of Old Monaco, which includes the cathedral and the royal palace, is another "must." This tour should leave plenty of time for additional exploring on your own.

>> Barcelona -- There are three great choices of tours here -- the monastery at Montserrat, the tour to the cathedral, and the tour to Gaudi's Eglisia Familia Sagrada (Church of the Holy Family).

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old June 30th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you, this is very helpful. Do you have the excursion/$ that Princess offers on this trip? They won't provide me with this info and I will need to know the cost of this trip for 5 in advance to plan for savings. We aren't gong to be able to go until 2002, but I like to plan ahead because we are hoping to take grandpa with us. (more planning required, spontaneous more difficult). I prefer to do the shore plans on my own because they are usually less $ and my children prefer to get away from all the "old folks" that take the ship excursions will have on them. The ship excursions are sometimes the better way to go and sometimes not. I did most of the shore plans on my own when we did Alaska last summer, but planning those was easier because I could make as many calls to Alaska as I wanted and the web helped a lot. Any advise? Thanks, Beth
Old August 14th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was skeptical when i went with my family on a european cruise this past summer about the tours and the cruise overall. But once we stepped on the boat it all changed i met tons of people my age and we became great friends on the boat and still are now, and the ports and tours were great. They were very scenic and nice to walk around. My family and i were never out too long because my brother and i weren't always that enthused. Overall though the ports were great and the friends you make are better. I'll be on the june 19 from istanbul to barcelona 2002. Rob