CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Obstructed Upgrade on Grand (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/221555-obstructed-upgrade-grand.html)

Maria June 28th, 2001 09:34 AM

Obstructed Upgrade on Grand

My husband and I just got upgraded from an inside Plaza room to the Emerald deck outside cabin with an obstructed view. They have life boats on this deck and just wondering if anyone has stayed in any of these rooms. Is the view totally obstructed? Looks as if the picture window in the cabin is quite big hopefully the life boat will not be a total obstruction. Also as we are very happy to be upgraded to a larger outside room from an inside cabin is there a chance we might get upgraded again or is this final. My reason for asking is we still have over 3 months to our cruise as we are not sailing till end of September. Any input will be appreciated.

Nanatravel June 28th, 2001 09:56 AM

Re: Obstructed Upgrade on Grand

If your upgraded cabin one of those with the balcony? You will have daylight, but the lifeboats do obstruct the ocean view for most of those cabins. You won't have far to go to get out on deck to scan the horizon though. I did walking laps in this area on E deck and you climb a few stairs to the next deck, but no one can actually see into your cabin or verandah. Sure, there is still a good chance of a further upgrade, but from an inside to an outside is already pretty good. Enjoy the extra space and easy access to the many public rooms. With 15/17 decks (the Skywalker's disco is actually labeled on 17 via skywalk, you are in a pretty good position top to bottom.
Bon Voyage

oski June 28th, 2001 02:19 PM

We had a room there and got a window right between the life boats. Let me know what your room number is and I will check.

Maria June 28th, 2001 08:39 PM

Our cabin is E 624. The life boat is right directly infront of our window and just wondering if we can see anything besides the life boat.

juliejoe June 28th, 2001 11:18 PM

Maria,
We just returned from the Golden E220 & E222. We were in 220 - between 2 lifeboats. Mom & friend were in 222. They had a boat covering the width of the window - but, you can see over the lifeboat. The view is not totally obstructed. Like Nanatravel said, the location on the ship is really a good one. Chances of a further upgrade are slim - but never say never.
Julie

Maria June 29th, 2001 10:43 AM

Thank you Juile you have answered our question. Well at least we'll be able to see over the life boat and like you said the location is great. Thanks again.

Maria

norm June 29th, 2001 10:56 PM

Maria,

I hate to disappoint you, but it's really better to be disappointed now rather than when you get to the ship.

>> If the brochure lists a cabin as "obstructed view," it's usually totally obstructed or very nearly so. Nonetheless, you will get some daylight into your cabin.

>> If the brochure lists a cabin as "partly obstructed view," you probably will be able to see some of the passing scenery.

Aboard MV Grand Princess, the Emerald Deck is a great location. Since that deck has only cabins, it should be pretty quiet.

I have to agree with "juliejoe" htat your chances for a further upgrade probably are slim.

Norm.

Michael Sinn June 30th, 2001 10:03 AM

You should check with agent to see if prices go down any. If they do maybe you can get a move up for no money. Instead of taking the money back...you could get a better cabin. Or take the money. (If this happends) Chances are slim of getting upgraded from where you are now. Keep in mind you bought an inside and now your in a Outside with little view. If you booked a cat N (Inside) and get upgraded to a cat GG you got a 10 cat upgrade!!! Wow not bad.
Enjoy your cruise!!
Michael

Lady Jag July 2nd, 2001 04:57 PM

My mom was in one of these cabins last month. Yes, the view is obstructed,but you can see past the lifeboats to the ocean. It's not the best view, but at least it's a window and you can tell when it's daytime and nightime.

Carole July 2nd, 2001 07:31 PM

We will be on the Grand on 9/23 also & just got a large price decrease. It seems that they have a Sept. special going. If you ask your travel agent about it you may get an even better room or at least save some money. Good luck.

carrie July 5th, 2001 10:39 AM

Hi,
We had E624 when we cruised in May and also E626 for our kids.
The life boats are there but you can still see out. They are nice size rooms and our room steward was great. We paid inside rate so we got a good deal. Though I must warn you sometimes they work on the life boats. I was changing one day and the curtains were open when all of a sudden I looked up and saw two men on the other side of my window in the life boat looking right at me. I ran for cover and after that my husband made sure those curtains were always closed.lol.

Maria July 5th, 2001 05:19 PM

Thanks Carrie that was nice of you to respond. Now at least we know that you can see over the life boats especially since you were in the same cabin we are to be in. Also thanks for the advice I'll definatelly remember to close the blinds when changing. Thanks again.

Rob July 6th, 2001 03:56 PM

Anyone had an E grade AFT, we've got E714 "with partial View", what is it that blocks the view, the boats, from pictures, appear to stop further forward.
All I can make out is the white life raft things - do these really spoil the view ?

Also, do balconys connect, if you have adjacent cabins. Can you unlock the side panel to double your balcony?

norm July 6th, 2001 10:07 PM

Rob,

First, to clarify a possible misconception, the "E" in the cabin number means that it's on the Emerald Deck. It does not mean that it's "E" grade.

Second, to answer your question the obstruction (in this case, apparently partial) probably is a boat -- either a tender or one of the ship's service boats.

Norm.