Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Mary Lou

Default Ever miss the boat .....literally?

I've been accused of "missing the boat" a few times in my life, but has anyone out there ever really missed the boat at one of the ports? If so, what did you do? I've heard horror stories of "locals" who will be happy to run you out to the ship for a "price". Then I hear you must climb up the ladder?????????
Please let me hear your stories.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2001, 12:39 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Ever miss the boat .....literally?

I've never missed it myself, but but love watching people who do - saw it happen at three ports on our last cruise; once with a crew member.
Old June 29th, 2001, 09:52 AM
browezilla

I saw it once on Princess. The ship heaved to in St. Thomas and a tug brought the passenger to the ship. The delay must have been 45 minutes or so. They opened the door that the harbor master enters/exist through to admit him onto the ship I don't know if he had to pay for this inconvenience to the dock personel or the ship.
Old June 29th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our recent Golden Med cruise a couple missed the boat in Livorna, The ship waited a little while for them but then sailed. A few minutes the couple showed up in a little dirty boat they had hired to bring them to the ship. The Pilot boat was still alongside and assisted the couple aboard through the door the harbor master enters while the ship was still slowly moving, I have never seen a more embarrassed couple as everyone was clapping and cheering from the balconies. We heard it cost them over $1000.00. So be on time! Helen.
Old June 29th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Rochelle

OHMYGOODNESS..a new worry for me. I am a great worrier, as a matter of fact....I worry so much any new worries have to wait two weeks for me to worry about it.

It is wise to carry with you a copy of your passport, enough cash (for bribes) and traveler's checks and credit cards in case you have to go to next port. Always have the port agent address with you leave the ship, if only for a little while..you never know.

We have seen people run at olympic speed bounding aboard the ship as the gangpland was being removed
Old June 29th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Mary Lou,

One of my tablemate miss sailing on my second cruise. He hitched a ride on the pilot boat and got billed for the service on his shipboard account. I'm not sure how much the ship billed him, but it was enough so he noticed -- and was not exactly pleased about the fact!

Norm.
Old July 1st, 2001, 11:33 PM
Elhare

Yes it happens. Twice in April on the Sea Princess. In one case the ship was delayed an extra fifteen minutes for the harbor to clear as the Captain announced that a group of passengers who were late were racing up the dock to clamor aboard. They were lucky. Later in Acupulco he announced that the late passengers were arriving by boat as we made a one-eighty in the turning basin. He even announced the side on which they would be embarking. The applause by all aboard to those red cheeked passengers was deafining. The next morning I asked the Captain if the late passengers were in the brig. He said "no, but if it had been one of his crew he would have had him keeled hauled. Scary!!
Old July 2nd, 2001, 03:16 PM
Betty Grable

Gee whiz, if the ship is kept waiting for passengers who are late then the ship could possibly be late arriving at the next port, which in turn will cut down on YOUR time in port. This just happened to us on a recent European cruise and there was plenty of grumbling in port the next day as we had a scant few hours to see a wonderful place. Every day our captain delayed departure while waiting for late passengers. We were hoping he'd leave without them. The tardy passengers deserve jeers not cheers for holding up a ship. Being on time when one person is waiting or 1,000 persons are waiting is called "consideration" (not to mention mandatory on a cruise.) If the next day is a "sea day" it won't matter all that much, but if the capt. has a long haul to make it to an important destination on the itinerary then leaving port on the dot really becomes vital to the schedule. Passengers have no control over weather or other adverse port conditions. But they can and should endeavor to return to the ship EARLY rather than at the last minute.

Betty
Old July 2nd, 2001, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Don't worry, the captain of any Princess ship will not wait for anyone except a line-booked tour.
Old July 4th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Betty,

I agree completely!

Norm.