Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2001, 08:53 AM
First Mate

Default NOrm, who are you?

Norm, you seem to be extremely knowledgeable-- and i a m new to this board- but not new to other cruise boards, are you a ta or do you work for princess?
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: NOrm, who are you?

Barbara,

... i a m new to this board...

Welcome aboard!

... are you a ta or do you work for princess?

Neither. In my past life, I was a teaching assistant in the Ocean Engineering Department at M. I. T. for my last semester and subseuently served as a line officer in Uncle Sam's Navy for five years, so I came to cruising with a decent nautical background. Research of the cruise industry to figure out what made sense for my vacation turned into investment research when I acquired an interest in both the very British Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company, which is the former parent of P&O Princess Cruises, and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. I'm also about to embark on my eighth cruise, all with Princess. I probably will try both Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises "one of these days" but so far I have been very impressed with what I have seen aboard Princess ships -- sufficiently impressed to "put my money where my mouth is" in buying a couple chunks of stock in the parent company!

Norm.
Old June 30th, 2001, 09:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Hi Barbara....I just wanted to echo my thoughts about Norm. He has been a cruise saver for many on this site including my wife and me. He is a very knowledgeable person and very upfront and about what to expect on Princess cruises. His information about every Princess ship is priceless.

If you need any information in an unbiased nature, just ask Norm. And Norm, again, thank-you for all of your help. Our cruise on the Grand last month was sensational thanks to your help and with your latest posting to me, we are looking forward to our next Princess cruise on January 5th aboard the Dawn Princess on the Monaco Suite. Forget Royal Caribbean....we have made the switch to Princess.

Dave
Old June 30th, 2001, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, thats our Norm :-)
Keep coming with the great posts and enjoy your next Princess cruise, won't be long now, can't wait to hear all about it :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old June 30th, 2001, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Norm,
I have been reading this board for several months and too have noticed you frequently and have gained alot of insight and wealthy info from your messages. I am going on the Sun Princess over Christmas with my family. We have the four aft suites/mini-suites on the Baja deck. Can you tell me how they differ from the other decks that have aft suites. The pictures I've seen look different in size and shape as do the virtual tours on the princess sites and other sites. Also, do you know if there is a website that shows the square footage of cabins (for all ships) that also shows it by cabin and balcony separately.
Txs.
Old June 30th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Babette

The sf's are not loaded into Uniglobe separately, but there are size differences by decks. However, your suites are 683 and mini-suites 512. More than ample room.
Old July 2nd, 2001, 06:42 PM
Pierre Head

Now it all becomes clear!
I had wondered what would possess someone to write the
kind of material Norm did about me recently.
This followed a critical review I sent in about my
experience on the Grand, and Norm then suggested I
had an ax to grind or was connected financially in some way with
Princess competitors, or was "psychotic."
But this is not the case. I do not have any direct financial connection with any cruise company or travel company. And we did actually spend our money on a Princess cruise because we enjoyed our previous one on the Crown a few years ago. However his attack on me was clearly a case of "shoot the messenger." He had also previously got into a criticism of someone else who did not like some aspect of cruising (dressing for formal nights).
Now we see Norm's real motivation for telling everyone to
go on Princess, either Grand or another ship.
HE is the one with the financial interests, owning as he puts it, a "couple chunks of stock of P&O." This should
make his recommendations regarding Princess very suspect as he has a direct financial interest in getting you to spend your money on Princess, and thereby putting some in his own pockets!
So much for unbiased opinion!
It makes one wonder how many other "regular" contributors to this board have directly related financial interests, and could explain both the overly positive comments posted here, and the amazing responses to negative reviews of their "favorite" lines and ships.
Now there is yet another reason not to go on a Princess cruise, besides the obvious recent lowering of quality.
Old July 2nd, 2001, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Hello Pierre....I must say that after reading your post about Norm, I think you are either out in left field or had too much to drink. I find it hard to believe that anyone who has a few shares of stock in any company would be criticial of another company to the extent you feel Norm is. I also find it hard to believe that anyone who has a few shares of stock in one company would only reccomend that particular company. Even if I were the president of the company, I would always suggest that you or anyone else try another ship so you can compare then see how good my company really is.

So unless Norm has major shares in Princess or is a totally sly and deceitful person( WHICH I DOUBT), I think you have made accusations that you have no foundation for.

The old saying goes...unless you know all the facts, you don't critisze or accuse someone of anything.

Dave
Old July 2nd, 2001, 07:37 PM
Pierre Head

Dave:
You have misread the message.
I was simply trying to find an explanation for
Norm's unreasonable tirade against me previously.
I never said he is critical of any other company.
He was critical of me after I wrote a review of the Grand
in which I pointed out several areas of poor service, many of
which were backed up by subsequent posters who agreed with me.
He suggested that I had some sort of interest
in a rival company, and that was the reason for the content of my review, therefore it could be ignored.

Now I understand why he did not like me possibly turning
potential customers away from Princess, specifically the Grand.
But I do not need to do it and that was not my intent. It will happen all by itself if the company does not correct the faults.
I was just trying to warn people so that they would not be as disappointed as we were. Many of my fellow passengers on that cruise felt the same way, and said they would return to other lines in future. They went on the Grand out of curiosity, to see if it really was as terrrific as the hype had made it out to be. But they were disappointed also.
However, in all of this I did point out that despite the drawbacks, we did have good time. Hopefully this should indicate that I am not some sort of nutcase, as I have been made out to be by the Princess boosters on this board.
Old July 3rd, 2001, 02:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Pierre that the service on the Grand left much to be desired. My family returned yesterday from the 6/24 Grand Cruise. We thought the ship was wonderful (except for the poor elevator service). The food was not as good as we expected and the service was not very good. Staff members were friendly but they seemed to have too much to do to be attentive. I have worked for a public company myself and I feel like P&O may be so concerned with Wall Street that they have taken their focus off of their guests. I will probably choose another line when I cruise next.
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Toni, I appreciate your honesty-- We are trying to d ecide between the ENchantment and Grand--
With prices being somewhat low -- wonder how the cruise lines make up the difference-- sounds like cutting back service staff is one reason.
Old July 4th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Dave,

Thanks for your kind words!

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Pierre,

First, I also own a chunk of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL), so I really don't have much incentive to steer people from away from either Celebrity or Royal Caribbean International. Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL) is not a company in which I'm willing to invest.

Second, my previous reply to your post was hardly an attack -- and it's very clear that other people had a similar reaction to mine. I offered some observations as one who has training and experience as a pastoral minister with the hope that they might be of some benefit to you. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing else.

BTW, if you perceived my posts in that thread as an "attack," you really do need psychological help.

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Pierre,

You have misread the message.
I was simply trying to find an explanation for
Norm's unreasonable tirade against me previously.

*ROF*

"Unreasonable tirade"??? This clearly does not pass the "snicker test!"

Still *ROF*

Now I understand why he did not like me possibly turning
potential customers away from Princess, specifically the Grand.

Actually, I think that I have recommended that people try MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess instead of MV Grand Princess or MV Golden Princess, all other things being equal, more than anybody else on this board. I have criticized the layout of public spaces aboard MV Grand Princess in no uncertain terms many times on this board and recommended choosing one of the "four sisters" instead, all other aspects being equal.

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Mary,

I really can't compare one sute against another. My guess is that the shape of the respective rooms might differ slightly, but that these suites are pretty similar since they all are the same category of cabin.

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Barbara,

I really recommend that you consider one of Princess's "four sisters" (MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, or MV Ocean Princess) rather than MV Grand Princess. The "four sisters" have a much better layout overall, and things seem to work a lot more smoothly because of it. These ships also offer so many choices that you won't be able to do everything that you want to do and, in case you're travelling with children, they have outstanding facilities and programs for children and teenagers in all age groups, so the additional choices and facilities aboard MV Grand Princess really don't seem to matter.

Norm.