Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2001, 10:05 PM
linda from New Jersey

Default Grand Princess Cabin Size

We are going for our first cruise on the Grand Princess to the Western Caribbean in November. We are staying in a stateroom (BB) on the Caribe Deck. Can anyone tell me how big the rooms are. We could stay in a mini suite but heard the balcony on the caribe deck is large.
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Grand Princess Cabin Size

linda,

There's some misinformation floating around regarding the size of balconies aboard MV Grand Princess and MV Golden Princess. Here's the straight scoop.

>> The standard staterooms with balconies on the Lido, Aloha, and Baja decks have balconies of standard size for standard staterooms. These balconies are about three feet deep. These balconies are cantilevered beyond the actual hull. They have a plastic patio table, two plastic patio chairs, and very little free space.

>> The standard staterooms with balconies on the Caribe Deck have balconies that are cantileverd tiwce as far as those on the higher decks, so they are twice as big. Half of the balcony is under the balcony above and half of it extends beyond the balcony above.

>> The aft minisuites have very large balconies over the indoor space on the deck below. They are completely open to the sun, but they are larger than the balconies of the standard staterooms on the Caribe Deck.

>> The minisuites on the side of the Dolphin Deck have balconies cantilevered still further than those of the standard cabins on the Caribe Deck. Thus, these balconies are larger -- perhaps eight or nine feet deep and the full width of the cabin.

The standard cabins are certainly adequate for their intended purpose. They also have a good layout and adequate storage. If a separate sitting area is important, though, get a minisuite.

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Admiral

The cabins basically are 170 SF plus the 42SF of balcony on the standard verandah cabins on Aloha.
Old July 5th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Linda,

I am cruising Western Carbian on Nov 11 (for my Honey Moon). My TA told me that the Caribe Balconys are the larger than the rest of them.
Old July 6th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

How big are the balconys on Emerald deck for the 12 mini suites at rear ADs, are they same as Dolphin, smaller, lots smaller, covered, etc ??

can you help.?
Old July 6th, 2001, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Rob,

The balconies for the side minisuites on the Emerald Deck are at least as big as those on the Dolphin Deck and perhaps somewhat larger. They are mostly covered.

Norm.
Old July 6th, 2001, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Rich,

According to the brochure, the balconies standard outside cabins on the Caribe Deck are twice the size of other balcones on standard outside cabins (which are only about three feet from the cabin to the rail). The minisuites on the Dolphin Deck have larger balconies than the standard cabins on the Caribe Deck.

Norm.
Old July 7th, 2001, 02:30 PM
NJmatt

Norm,thanks for clarifying the size of the cabins/verandahs on the Grand Princess. We sailed the first cruise on the Grand when she first came out and were in a category BA on the Aloha deck and thought I was crazy when I looked down at the verandahs below us and thought to myself,those certainly look bigger than ours. Once again,thanks.
Old July 7th, 2001, 07:38 PM
linda from New Jersey

Thanks for all of the information. We are in room C250. If the balconies are so big how big is the actual room. Can you tell this is our first cruise?? Do think we would be better upgrading to a mini suite? Are they that much bigger?
Old July 8th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Admiral

NJmatt,

Yes, they looked bigger because they [i] are [i] bigger!

Norm.
Old July 8th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Linda

Whether to upgrade to a minisuite or not is a decision that we can't make for you. While on a cruise, I spend very little time in my cabin. It's basically a place to sleep, to shower, etc., and to change clothes. For those purposes, a standard cabin certainly is adequate. OTOH, if you plan to spend a lot of time in your cabin, you probably would want a separate sitting area. Minisuites have sitting rooms (outfitted with a sofa bed and chair, a coffee table, and a second television), whereas standard cabins do not.

Norm.