Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default sun- panama canal

Hi, I am planning a first time cruise on the sun princess to the panama canal for 10 days. Does anyone have any insight on either the boat or the cruise. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Talliho

Default Re: sun- panama canal

If you haven't already done so, refer to the other message posted here by Kathy re: Ocean - Panama Canal. The ships are "sisters" so that info will apply to you too. What a great way to start cruising - you went right to the top! As I said there, the ship is absolutely beautiful. If you're not doing a full transit, which I think you may be referring to, you'll enter the first locks and then cruise Gatun Lake before leaving the Canal and continuing in the Caribbean. Even if you're not doing a full transit it will be a great experience - just be sure to be on deck early AM for the locks. Have a wonderful time, and let us all know how it went when you get back!
Old July 11th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Hi,
I am booked to sail on the Sun on Oct. 20 this year doing the Panama Canal. I will let you know how we enjoyed it. I am really looking forwad to it.
Old July 12th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Kevin

We did the Sun Princess this past April/May reposition. Excellent ship with an exceptional Cruise Director and staff. Keep in mind that the Panama eg 10day+ cruises usually have more older folks onboard. Other than that, the food and the entertainment on the Sun was outstanding. Enjoy
Old July 13th, 2001, 01:48 AM
NancyM

Hi! We did the 10-day Panama Canal back in April. Excellent trip! The best part? The people we met! Cartegenia (sp?) was my favorite port.. but I love history and it is a treasure! Dominica, Barbados and Aruba all have their own unique flavor. Don't be afraid to get a taxi and explore! These people are usually all honest and are very proud of their islands. You'll see more, pay a lot less, and have a wonderful time! The only wrinkle in our cruise was Costa Rica. It's a great place, but it is very inconvenient to leave! We had no choice but to stay overnight (not enough flights on Sunday). We had to struggle through the airport with our bags (Princess left us with them at the check-in), pay cash to leave the country.. it was very much a hassle, but the people were all friendly and we made it. All in all, it is a wonderful memory!

Hint: I thought that the best place to see the canal is the small deck all the way forward on the Baja deck. It's usually not as crowded but you'll have to stand. Get there very early! People were out there as early as 5:00am for a 7:00 entry! On upper decks, people were there all night!