Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dawn Princess Cruise

This is my first cruise and I have a lot of questions to ask. Hope that you don't mind. I understand there is a formal night on the ship and a semi-formal night. What is a good dress code for my husband and I too wear on these nights? Also, how often do we get our pictures taken during the week on the cruise ship? Does anyone have a rough idea of how much they charge you for the pictures?

Thanks,

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dawn Princess Cruise

On formal nights, you will see everything from tux's/gowns to just shirts/ties and nice slack suits. On semi-formal, you will see some men in sports coats, some not.

Picture opportunities abound, doesn't cost to have them taken.
Old July 13th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

You will be seeing stars from all the pictures they take of you!! <grin> No obligation to buy. On the formal nights they have several different areas setup for photos with different backdrops, and I'm glad I went around to several of them. On the first night I did only one station and the photos were not great (glare off my glasses). On the second I did several different sittings and finally got one great shot.

I May I was charged $6.95 for a 5x7 regular photo, and $19.95 for a 8x10 formal photo.
Old July 13th, 2001, 04:50 PM
First Mate

Hint:
Don't buy any pictures until the last night or the morning you disembark (you will need cash if left until the morning) when you can gather all the pictures for comparison - then pick the best one(s).
Old July 20th, 2001, 12:17 AM
Audrey Belcher

They are taking your picture everytime you turn around. We did not take any formal ones but did see a few cute ones from here and there. We just got off the Dawn and we only had two formal nights not semi formal.
Old July 24th, 2001, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Jean,

According to the latest Cruise Answerbook from Princess, the normal pattern for a seven-night cruise is two formal nights, one semiformal night, and four casual nights -- but the actual number of semiformal and casual evenings may vary. In particular, an extra semiformal night is likely on cruses that draw a large number of repeat passengers, requiring two separate "Captain's Circle" receptions to accommodate all of the repeaters.

Princess's Cruise Answerbook provides the following guidance for dress (omitting only the misplaced sentences about rental of formalwear aboard ship).

[i] When you're in port, evening dress is casual; slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc., are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans, and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. For semiformal evenings, passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home, with ladies in skirts/dresses/pantsuits and gentlemen wearing a sportcoat or suit.... On formal nights, ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits. See chart to the right for a general dress code schedule."

By way of clarification, I should add that the Princess Patter aboard MV Royal Princess specifically stipulated a suit or sportcoat and tie for gentlemen on semiformal evenings during my last cruise, which ended last Sunday.

Norm.