Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2001, 04:40 PM
First Mate

Default Best Jewelry Shopping - St. Thomas or St. Martin?

Which has the better jewelry shopping - St. Thomas or St. Martin?

What stores do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Best Jewelry Shopping - St. Thomas or St. Mart

Sharon, I think st martin and st thomas are equally good. just remember that prices are negotiabe. i have a friend who swears by grand jewelers in st thomas. i did not see them until time to reboard the ship so i cannot confirm. for sure you can find plenty you like and great prices at both islands. i bought a ring at little switzerland and they had nice things. shop around for what you want before you leave so you will know a good deal. toni
Old July 19th, 2001, 11:10 PM
First Mate

sharon,
my wife and i have been to both islands numerous times, and we both agree the best bargains can be found on st martin. one shop that has benefitted from my contributions to st martins econony in called "boolchands".my wife has made gold purchases there at considerably less than us prices. but be forwarned, you must do your homework, and know what you are buying,(as in carat/gold content and weight in grams) and be willing to bargain to the death.don't be afraid to say "my ship leaves in a few hours, after which you will not see me or my money again...what can you do to motivate me to buy now?".absolutely **do not** make a purchase at the first asking price. if you are buying diamonds, such as 1 carat studs, the first tray of diamonds you will be presented with in most stores will inevitably be off colored, yellow/brown garbage.ask to see the good stuff,then take out one of your buisness cards, fold it into a "v" shape, and place the stone in the center, and compare the white color of the buisness card with the whiteness of the stone. dont buy a stone after looking at it only on the jewelers black velvet mat.certain watches can also be pruchased at a discount, except movados, which are price controlled to 30%( i believe) off suggested retail.if you find a store radically below that, be wary, the watch may be a knock off.
after you shop, be sure to enjoy the most beautifull aqua green water in the caribbean.
bon voyage!
Old July 20th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Admiral

I don't think there is any doubt that St. Thomas has much more to choose from, with all the usual chain operations as well as some independents. We personally prefer H. Stern for any serious purchases of jewelry and watches. They offer superb "value", which we think is really the key word here.

The added benefit, for those purchasing other than trinkets, is that you get a huge increase in your customs allowance for items bought in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Ernie
Old July 20th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Passenger

Sharon, I just purchased jewelry in both places in April. What are you looking for? It really helps if you have done some homework. I am still amazed at the prices in these islands. Even compared to the shop on the ship I got a fantastic deal. Email me directly if you want the names stores.
Marci
Old July 21st, 2001, 05:34 PM
First Mate

My wife andI have been to both islands several times and always find better jewlery bargains in St. Martin. We have been going to Trident Jewlers on Front St. and always seem to get wonderful products. My wife has a friend that is a jewler and she cannot get over the quality and prices we get, Have a great cruise.
Old July 21st, 2001, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Hi again, I checked my receipts and I also bought my bracelet at Trident in St. Maarten. A great deal!