Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Janet
Default Island Night?

My family is on the 8/5 sailing of the Grand to the Eastern Carribean. Has anyone been to Eastern Carribean this summer....is there an Island Themed Night? Was the semi-formal night deleted? Trying not to overpack..... Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2001, 11:58 AM
Dave Beers

Default Re: Island Night?

We were on the Grand two weeks ago. There is an "island night" party at the aft pool area. I believe it was on the night we left St. Maarten. They moved a stage over the pool and had the steel-drum band and woman singer out there. Everyone was encouraged to wear loud Hawaiian shirts. The music started at 9:45pm and the party happened for a couple hours.

There were two types of evening dress: smart casual and formal. The second at-sea day and the last at-sea day were formal. All other nights were smart casual - which was pretty loosely interpreted. I wore blue jeans and a golf shirt on one smart casual night and I was not alone. The only thing they were strict on was no shorts or t-shirts in the main dining rooms for dinner. You could wear shorts and t-shirts and eat dinner in the buffet. I saw people seated on formal nights wearing slacks and polo shirts.

Dave
Old July 21st, 2001, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Janet we were on the 7/24 sailing and there was an island night and the informal night was deleted. I only saw dark suits and tuxes in the dining room on these nights. We had fun dressing up. Have a great time.
Old July 24th, 2001, 09:33 PM
Laura I.

I was on the Grand 6/3...they do have an Island night, but it is mainly just entertainment by the aft adult pool at 9:45 pm....the dining room was "French" that night which I thought was odd - seems like they could have carried the Tropical theme throughout the entire evening. My husband wore a tropical shirt that night to dinner, but there was really no reason for it!
Old July 25th, 2001, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Laura,

I gather that you went out to the aft pool area for the warm-up music but did not stay for the main part of the party -- which usually cranks up around 11:00 or so when the show for second seating ends. There's also an Island Night buffet with all sorts of vegetable carvings and ice sculptures, part of which usually is out on deck and part of which is in the Horizon Court. They usually allow camera buffs to photograph the buffet for 1/2 hour before they open it for eating.

Norm.