Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2001, 01:15 PM
JennyBoo

Default Grand Refurbished in October????1

Ok now I am a little worried. Has anyone heard that the Grand is to be refurbished in October? What does this mean? We sail on 10/28 for our honeymoon and I do not want to see a renovation on my cruise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2001, 02:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Grand Refurbished in October????1

Jenny,
They do not do any work that would be on a sailing with people on board. This happends when the ship is empty. Not to worry. Have a great time!!

Michael
Old July 21st, 2001, 06:17 PM
First Mate

According to its published schedule and to other messages I have seen elsewhere the Grand Princess is having her overhaul in December when she is not scheduled to sail. So no need to worry - have a great cruise!!!
Old July 21st, 2001, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jenny,
When they do this type of work on ships, they bring them into dry dock, but they are always doing something on the ships, cleaning, etc.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old July 22nd, 2001, 12:01 AM
First Mate

jennyboo,
according to cruise industry news, the grand is going in for refurbishment, or a "shave and a haircut" in december of 2001, so you need not worry. my wife and i are also sailing on 10/28, and we look forward to a great 7 days.
be forwarned, my wife and i went on our first cruise for our honeymoon, 8 years ago, and the grand princess will be cruise # 9......
be sure to take advantage of all the "honeymoon" get togethers and such once on the ship, and have a joyous and fun filled wedding.
Old July 22nd, 2001, 08:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just check the itinerary & sailing dates for Grand on Princess' web site. Her last sail date is 11/25 and she is off for 2 weeks. We are on her 11/28. so we are the 2nd to last of what she has already before they make her new again. No sailing 12/2 or 12/9........
Old July 22nd, 2001, 01:17 PM
JennyBoo

Thanks to all of you for your information. I feel a lot better knowing that I am not going to see construction workers on my honeymoon. Thank you John for the wishes for my wedding.
Old July 22nd, 2001, 11:20 PM
lyndammr

Just got off the Grand today and she will be going for refurbishment in December. She does need new mattresses as my husband and my mattress sagged, the ship is in excellent condition don't worry about it. As for the carpeting (I am fussy about carpets as I like to see lines in mine) they are in very good condition except for one staircase area which is not noticable by most people....not bad, trust me on this one. It was very clean.
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I called Kathy at Princess today & asked her. The ship is cruising weekly for the rest of the year. Yes, they are refurbishing it floor by floor at night (painting) &
in between disembarkation & embarkation (carpeting) in October & may start end of September to be ready for the sellout during the holidays.

I read her the message posted from a party who just cruised on the Grand complaining about the food. She should either email customer relations@princess.com or write a letter to them so they have it on file. She also hopes they filled out the comments card regarding that as POOR.

If not you are posting to us, but that does no good with Princess who read & react to complaints as well as compliments, so please do both!
Old July 26th, 2001, 12:48 PM
JU

Brenda,

Unless Princess has changed Grand's schedule in the last week she will be out of service for almost two weeks starting at the end of November. She will reenter service with a two-day cruise to nowhere on 12/14 and a Western Carribean 7-day on 12/16. She is either going to be drydocked or going somewhere else. It is very difficult to do major work in the 3 hours that the ship is without passengers on Sundays.
Old July 27th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Folks I know are sailing her 11/25...........

They do their work at night & on the change of cruisers day............ most of it you never notice unlewss you are up at 3AM.
Old July 28th, 2001, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Brenda,

The other reality is that routine maintenance is a continuous evolution on any Princess ship. Even on brand new ships, you'll see the deck crew out touching up paint, etc.

Norm.