Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Beginner

Default Handicapped Passengers

There is a group of six of us on an air/cruise/land package beginning 9/15/01 in Anchorage (land) for two nights, traveling by bus to Seward to board the Ocean Princess for 7 nights, arrive in Vancouver and then transported to Seattle for 2 nights before flying back to Houston.

We have two handicapped people in the group, a 19 year old that is partially blind with partial paralysis down one side making walking very slow. The other person is 61 and is confined to a wheelchair (although he can walk short distance).

I'm interested in any information on tours or activities along the way that would be suitable with their limitations. Also, is the ship easily accessible with convenient elevators? They both love to see everything!!

Any information would be appreciated. We are all excited about our first Alaskan cruise. This will be the second cruise for three, first for one, and fifth for the other two.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2001, 08:43 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Handicapped Passengers

I would suggest the Yukon and White Pass Railroad trip in Skagway. It is about 2 1/2 to three hours and can accomodate wheelchairs. In Juneau, maybe a trip out to Mendenhall glacier - there is a bit of walking but a lot of it is on paved paths and there are elevators in the visitors center. In Ketchikan, maybe a trip to the Saxman Totem Village.
Old July 24th, 2001, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Hi,

My mom is visually impaired and uses a Seeing Eye dog. We sailed the sister ship (Sea Princess) to the Caribbean and my mom didn't have any problems navigating through the ship. We found the staff on Princess very helpful! If you need any additional assistance - just ask staff! We asked for help during disembarkment and there were no problems.

I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that the elevators spoke the floor numbers on the Sea/Grand Princess.
Old July 24th, 2001, 09:25 PM
sailinglisa

Yes, the elevators did "call out" the floor number (or was it the name of the floor like Aloha?)
Old July 24th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Admiral

sailinglisa,

Yes, the elevators did "call out" the floor number...

That would be impossible since there are no "floors" on any ship, though it's entirely possible that the elevator called out the number or name of the deck.

Norm.
Old July 25th, 2001, 03:11 AM
Yes2cruising

The elevators call out the name of the deck. Been on Sun, Dawn and Grand.
Old July 25th, 2001, 09:14 PM
sailinglisa

Gee Norm - i'm really sorry. It must really cork you when someone accidentally uses the wrong term.
Old July 25th, 2001, 09:15 PM
sailinglisa

Gee Norm - I'm really sorry. It must really cork you when someone accidentally uses the wrong term. I promise to be more mature when you make a mistake and not point it out to everyone.
Old July 25th, 2001, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Hey sailinglisa, I really appreciate the info about the elevator and it didn't bother me in the least that the terms were not "precise" for a ship. The important information was conveyed. Most of us have so much going on that we don't need to look for small oversights. Undoubtedly, Norm doesn't have enough to do. Sorry Norm, but you fit the profile!! Thanks again.
Old July 26th, 2001, 07:18 AM
sailinglisa

Thank you txjunebug - I was tired when I made the mistake and I was even more tired when I read Norm's response.
Old July 26th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Norm, you mean to say that the decks don't have floors?
Old July 27th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Leeanna

I am going on a cruisetour on Sept. 5 with my parents. My dad has great difficulty walking and uses a wheelchair for any distance over 50 feet. We were very concerned about the excursions since it would not be very good to completely wear them out on the first day.

When we received the shore excursion booklet from Princess, they are very specific on which tours are accessible. They range from very strenuous to wheelchair accessible. There are quite a few that are rated for the light walking or wheelchair accessible. It still took a bit to decide on the excursions, but we have every confidence now that they will not be overdoing it. I have found Princess to be very accomodating of any type of physical challenges.
Old July 28th, 2001, 12:00 AM
Admiral

CruiseAholic,

A "deck" is a surface on which you walk.

Norm.