Old July 25th, 2001, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Default "Scandanavia and Western Europe" Cruise

Everybody,

I just returned from a cruise to "Scandanavia and Western Europe" aboard MV Royal Princess -- and I'm pleased to report that the only problem of significance is that the cruise (12 days) was way too short.

The itinerary featured great ports of call -- Edinburgh (pronounced like "Edinborough" in spite of the spelling), Oslo, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Amsterdam, Zeebrugge (Belgium), and Le Havre (France). Picking a favorite is tough because each of these ports has unique attractions and various forms of art abound everywhere.

MV Royal Princess is in magnificent condition in spite of her age (17 years!), and still seems very modern. Overall, I would rank her nearly on par with MV Sun Princess (her smaller size does force a few limitations, but they are very minor) and a clear cut above MV Grand Princess.

I'll post more extensive information when I have the time to do so, probably within a week.

Norm.
Old July 25th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: "Scandanavia and Western Europe" Cru

Glad you had a great time, I've sailed on the Royal Princess two times and she remains my favorite ship out of 42 cruises!
Old July 25th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Talliho

Still hoping to sail on Royal Princess.....maybe next year....do they still have Princess Diana's picture in the atrium?
Old July 26th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Admiral

As the godmother of the ship, I assume that her picture will remain. It was there when I last sailed on her in 1998.
Old July 26th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Marie

It was there in August 2000.
Old July 28th, 2001, 12:50 AM
Admiral

Talliho,

Yes, the gorgeous portrait is still there.

They display artwork that's up for auction to either side of it -- which is rather tacky at best -- so there's usually a card holder containing a bunch of cards that say, "If you would like a piece brought up for auction, put this card on it." on a table right in front of it. Invariably, somebody puts a card on the portrait.

(No, the art director does NOT bring the portrait up for auction when that happens!)

Norm.
Old July 28th, 2001, 12:55 AM
Admiral

CruisaAholic,

There's no doubt that MV Royal Princess beats MV Grand Princess hands down. She was so far ahead of her time that she still feels up to date in just about all respects. Nonetheless, I think that I have to give a very slight edge to MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess, all else being equal.

Norm.
Old July 29th, 2001, 01:11 PM
SUZIE

Welcome back Norm. I missed you!

Suzie
Old July 29th, 2001, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Suzie!

It's good to be back... but it would be better to still be aboard the ship....

Norm.