CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Religious Services (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/221672-religious-services.html)

Rich & Kathy July 25th, 2001 04:34 PM

Religious Services

Does Princess hold religious services onboard? On our last cruise (NCL), we noticed that there weren't any religious services. On our last HAL cruise, they seemed to have Catholic Mass daily. This was our first time on NCL so we didn't know if it was just NCL or were cruise lines dropping these services?

Thanks,

R&K

Talliho July 25th, 2001 06:10 PM

Re: Religious Services

I've found that religous services often depend on whether there's someone on ship to conduct them. Check your Princess Patter (your daily 'newspaper'), it will say there if a service will be held and/or if seeking someone on board to conduct a service in a particular denomination. It may help to mention at the Pursers's or Hotel desk you're interested in services; sometimes they can get you in touch with other passengers who have expressed similar interest and you may be able to share at least a small devotion or service with others. Or, if you know that you're in a port on your day of worship you might be able to research and find a church to attend there, which could be very interesting. There's never been an organized Lutheran service on any of my cruises, but I have seen Catholic and Jewish services listed. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

norm July 27th, 2001 11:40 PM

Re: Religious Services

Rich & Kathy,

Princess's ships usually do not have chaplains assigned, so they offer services as they are able.

>> There's usually a Jewish Sabbath sevice on Friday evening, though the ship usually provides the necessary articles and supplies and asks that a passenger (who need not be a rabbi) volunteer to lead it.

>> There's usually a non-denominational Christian service on Sunday morning which might be led by either a devout senior officer or a passenger, who may or may not be a minister.

>> If a Catholic presbyter or bishop is travelling as a passenger, the ship usually will invite him to preside at a mass in one of the show rooms for the passengers and crew. Note that Catholic Christians are not obligated to mass if it is not available while at sea.

>> Finally, the tour desk usually has reliable information regarding the locations of churches and the times of their services in the ship's ports of call.

Norm.

thebenjous October 25th, 2013 10:13 AM

catholic mass on caribbean princess

just called princess cruise lines and they told me that they have a catholic mass every sunday. They indicated that I should check the newsletter 'princess patter' when I get on board and the location/room # of the service will be listed.

RichC November 1st, 2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebenjous (Post 1487788)
just called princess cruise lines and they told me that they have a catholic mass every sunday. They indicated that I should check the newsletter 'princess patter' when I get on board and the location/room # of the service will be listed.

That sounds like a typical answer from someone who's never sailed on a Princess ship. ;)
Most times there isn't a mass except for major holidays when there might be a priest on board. They have a non denominational service hosted by the CD or one of the passengers. Occasionally we'll hit an island early on a Sunday morning when we can get to a church for a service which can be an experience from the ones at home.

zydecocruiser November 4th, 2013 11:32 PM

Just off Princess and they make the time and space available, but no Priest or Rabbi or...

Still a work in process, but I have posted the Patters (daily papers) (I think)

Golden Princess b2b cruises, Oct 28 and Nov 1, 2013

RichC November 5th, 2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1488487)
Just off Princess and they make the time and space available, but no Priest or Rabbi or...

Still a work in process, but I have posted the Patters (daily papers) (I think)

Golden Princess b2b cruises, Oct 28 and Nov 1, 2013

You did a nice job of posting photo's of the ship. There isn't much that you could have missed.

zydecocruiser November 13th, 2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 1488504)
You did a nice job of posting photo's of the ship. There isn't much that you could have missed.

Thank you.