Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Rich & Kathy

Default Religious Services

Does Princess hold religious services onboard? On our last cruise (NCL), we noticed that there weren't any religious services. On our last HAL cruise, they seemed to have Catholic Mass daily. This was our first time on NCL so we didn't know if it was just NCL or were cruise lines dropping these services?

Thanks,

R&K
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Talliho

Default Re: Religious Services

I've found that religous services often depend on whether there's someone on ship to conduct them. Check your Princess Patter (your daily 'newspaper'), it will say there if a service will be held and/or if seeking someone on board to conduct a service in a particular denomination. It may help to mention at the Pursers's or Hotel desk you're interested in services; sometimes they can get you in touch with other passengers who have expressed similar interest and you may be able to share at least a small devotion or service with others. Or, if you know that you're in a port on your day of worship you might be able to research and find a church to attend there, which could be very interesting. There's never been an organized Lutheran service on any of my cruises, but I have seen Catholic and Jewish services listed. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!
Old July 27th, 2001, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Religious Services

Rich & Kathy,

Princess's ships usually do not have chaplains assigned, so they offer services as they are able.

>> There's usually a Jewish Sabbath sevice on Friday evening, though the ship usually provides the necessary articles and supplies and asks that a passenger (who need not be a rabbi) volunteer to lead it.

>> There's usually a non-denominational Christian service on Sunday morning which might be led by either a devout senior officer or a passenger, who may or may not be a minister.

>> If a Catholic presbyter or bishop is travelling as a passenger, the ship usually will invite him to preside at a mass in one of the show rooms for the passengers and crew. Note that Catholic Christians are not obligated to mass if it is not available while at sea.

>> Finally, the tour desk usually has reliable information regarding the locations of churches and the times of their services in the ship's ports of call.

Norm.
Old October 25th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default catholic mass on caribbean princess

just called princess cruise lines and they told me that they have a catholic mass every sunday. They indicated that I should check the newsletter 'princess patter' when I get on board and the location/room # of the service will be listed.
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebenjous View Post
just called princess cruise lines and they told me that they have a catholic mass every sunday. They indicated that I should check the newsletter 'princess patter' when I get on board and the location/room # of the service will be listed.
That sounds like a typical answer from someone who's never sailed on a Princess ship.
Most times there isn't a mass except for major holidays when there might be a priest on board. They have a non denominational service hosted by the CD or one of the passengers. Occasionally we'll hit an island early on a Sunday morning when we can get to a church for a service which can be an experience from the ones at home.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Just off Princess and they make the time and space available, but no Priest or Rabbi or...

Still a work in process, but I have posted the Patters (daily papers) (I think)

Golden Princess b2b cruises, Oct 28 and Nov 1, 2013
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Just off Princess and they make the time and space available, but no Priest or Rabbi or...

Still a work in process, but I have posted the Patters (daily papers) (I think)

Golden Princess b2b cruises, Oct 28 and Nov 1, 2013
You did a nice job of posting photo's of the ship. There isn't much that you could have missed.
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
You did a nice job of posting photo's of the ship. There isn't much that you could have missed.
Thank you.