Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Default scuba diving on Ocen princess.

Do they offer scuba diving at Princess Cay? If so, so they snorkel off the same boat? How about parasailing? We are thingkin about 10 southern carribean in January. Do they offer scuba diving in most ports? Is the equipment good?
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Scuba Civing on MV Ocean Princess.

Karen,

Princess offers scuba diving on all Caribbean itineraries at pretty nearly every port of call (I'm not aware of any exceptions except possibly Princess Cays, but I don't want to say that there aren't any in case there's one of which I'm not aware). Princess also offers a full PADI Scuba Certification course on every Caribbean itinerary, so anybody who is not certified can attain the certification right aboard ship. The certification program does the pool dives in one of the ship's pools, followed by the open water dives for certification in the ports of call.

In most Caribbean ports of call, Princess's "New Waves" program offers at least two dive excursions. One usually is a certified dive, for which you have to present your certificate in order to participate. There's usually also an introductory dive in which raw beginners go into the water accompanied by an instructor, which obviously does not require certification.

Princess's "New Waves" program also offers snorkel expeditions in most ports of call. In addition, Princess's shore excursion program offers sailing (catamaran) excursions that include stops for snorkeling and swimming that are not part of the "New Waves" program in many of the Caribbean ports. The latter typically have names like "Champagne Catamran Sailaway to St. John" (in St. Thomas), "Five-Star Catamaran with Lunch," or "Catamran Sail and Snorkel" in the shore excursion brochure. The distinction is that the scuba and snorkel instructors from the ship lead the "New Waves" excursions, whereas local operators supervise the others.

In addition to the "New Waves" and other excursions offered from the ship, the shore excursion and tour desk will provide information on local scuba and snorkel operators in each port of call for passengers who wish to go on their own.

I am neither a scuba diver nor a snorkeler, but I'm sure that any equipment provided by Princess would be serviceable and durable. Many people use this equipment every week, and I have yet to hear of a safety problem. OTOH, there's no guarantee that Princess's equipment would be the brand or model that you might prefer. Thus, if you prefer a specific model of equipment, it would be a good idea to bring your own. The same obviously is true of gear supplied by local operators.

I'm not aware of scuba diving at Princess Cays, but I can't say for sure that it's not available. There is a reef for snorkeling there, but it's right alongside the beach so there's no need for a boat.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old August 6th, 2001, 02:01 AM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Scuba Civing on MV Ocean Princess.

If you do this, sign up well in advance of your cruise and do your paeerwork ashore Princess should send it to you. There is a fair amount of stuff to remember (extremely important stuff) and it's best to get that done before you board the ship. Then, other than the actual physical dive training which is fun, you've done the work part of it. Enjoy it, it's a great sport. You burn calories like crazy but you don't feel like you're exercising. You definitely are though.

Carole